Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-16T13:40:28Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1084 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DOORS 9.5 client setup on Windows 7 Enterprise for multiple db access

‏2013-01-15T14:00:17Z |
We're in the process of migrating from Windows XP to 7 Enterprise and noted a problem in accessing databases other then the default db. This problem persists whether using a desktop shortcut or cmd line syntax with the target port@server string. We have multiple dbs on the same server and we do not use the default db. Users do not have local admin rights on their hosts.

On Windows 7 Pro, we can create multiple db shortcuts pointing to different databases without a problem.On Windows 7 Enterprise for some reason it only allows connection to that db defined in the registry. User shortcuts do not over right the registry settings.
Has anyone experienced this, know the cause and/or have a workable solution/work-around? Some users access multiple dbs. Modifying the registry key is not a viable solution.
Regards
Norm Dignard
Updated on 2013-01-16T13:40:28Z at 2013-01-16T13:40:28Z by SystemAdmin
  • Richard_Good
    Richard_Good
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DOORS 9.5 client setup on Windows 7 Enterprise for multiple db access

‏2013-01-15T18:55:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I would simply raise a call with IBM and not migrate to DOORS 9.5, 9.3 works fine on Windows 7. My client has 20 seperate DOORS databases. Having multiple database services instead of tons of projects on one solves a lot of problems, but I get the feeling not many companies operate that way.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1084 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-15T19:00:53Z  in response to Richard_Good
      What version of Win7? We are seeing this issue on Enterprise but it works on Pro.

Our problem could be the way our IM group is packaging the OS and or app. They severely lock down the system and users don't have admin rights to these boxes.
      • Richard_Good
        Richard_Good
        14 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T11:14:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Well thats odd. Are command line arguments for other tools being consumed?
        if you run a command line like
        "C:\Program Files\...\Doors.exe" -d yourport@yourserver

Then run a dxl of
        print getEnv("DOORSDATA") what do you get?

I find it hard to see how a security lock down could prevent command line parameters being consumed. I don't think a registry lockdown is the problem. Doing a registry search on the port@server of the running doors instance returns nothing for me anyway
        I always imagined that the command line overrode any registry settings on startup, I don't believe they do this by writing the new values to the registry.

I am using Windows 7 Enterprise and DOORS 9.3 client, DOORS 9.2 server and don't have your issue.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1084 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T13:08:19Z  in response to Richard_Good
          I did some additional testing, an I may have errored in my original post.
          Using a desktop shortcut with -data port@host defined differently then what is in the registry does not work. If the registry valve is 0, you get a "illegal hostname in "0"'. If the registry value is a different port@host then that defined in the shortcut, it defaults to the db defined in the registry for login.
          running it from the command line with the -data port@host does work. I had originally used -project option an may have spec'd incorrect values.

As for the registry - the key is defined on install with whatever option defined in the install wizard. If you dont' spec a db port and host value, it defaults to 0.

The reg key value is Data under

http://HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Telelogic\DOORS\9.5\Config

"BrowserName"="C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe"

"Data"="0"

"Home"="C:\\Program Files\\IBM\\Rational\\DOORS\\9.5\\"

"InstallDate"="20/12/2012"

"JRE Path"="C:\\Program Files\\IBM\\Rational\\DOORS\\9.5\\ibm_jre50\\bin"

"Help System"="C:\\Program Files\\IBM\\Rational\\DOORS\\9.5\\help"

"certdb"="C:\\Program Files\\IBM\\Rational\\DOORS\\9.5\\"

"oleopenlimit"="5"

"Security"="soft"

"Version"="9.5"

Note on Win 7 Pro, this key is under HK current user.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1084 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T13:40:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            After reverification of the desktop properties it appears to work as expected. There was a quotation problem in the string that was missed.