Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2013-01-15T07:59:31Z by Graham_Charters
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
590 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Bundle manipulation on running application

‏2013-01-14T15:54:15Z |
Hi, I have question if it is possible with WAS support for enterprise OSGi application to manipulate bundles inside running application. I mean from my observation was that there was always need to deploy new version of EBA and when I add composite bundle the application is restarted.

I would like to dynamically add bundle to application, start it causing service registration and stop causing de-registration. All without restarting the whole application.

Is it possible?
Not necessarily straightforward and simple.
  • Graham_Charters
    Graham_Charters
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Bundle manipulation on running application

‏2013-01-15T07:59:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

The use case you describe is what application extension using composites is intended for. There are occasion where the application will restart when adding and removing extensions, but if you know what these are then they can be avoided. Applications restart when using extensions if adding or removing the extensions changes the package or service imports into the application. If you make sure your extensions use the same packages (at the same version ranges) and services as the application then the application should not restart. If you need to use new packages and services, then you can include them in the composite content to avoid the restart. The occasion where you can't avoid a restart is if the package your composite needs is provided by WebSphere and your application is not already using it. If you know ahead of time that a composite will need the API, then you can add a dummy bundle to the application to import it.

I hope this helps. If you follow these guidelines and find your app is still restarting, please post and we'll try to get to the bottom of what's going on.

Regards, Graham.