Topic
21 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-23T13:48:18Z by kevmeist
kevmeist
kevmeist
249 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Browsing TSQs with Explorer

‏2013-01-11T15:34:09Z |
Can you browse TSQs with Explorer? I looked (V5.1) but didn't see any way. If not, is this type of thing being considered for a future release?

Kevin
Updated on 2013-01-23T13:48:18Z at 2013-01-23T13:48:18Z by kevmeist
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Browsing TSQs with Explorer

‏2013-01-11T15:41:46Z  in response to kevmeist
    Hello Kevin,
    as far as I know you don't. I always use the plug-in described in the CICS Explorer Extension Redbook
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg247819.html
    which uses CICS Web Support under the cover.
    But maybe there is something in plan to give TSQs a CMCI interface ;-)
    Regards, Isabel
    • kevmeist
      kevmeist
      249 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-11T15:52:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks Isabel,

However, if I read that correctly...that involves having the SDK loaded, correct?

These workstations are pretty locked down here. For running CICS Explorer itself, I just put a folder on the server and invoke it from there. We do have the PA plugin loaded, so if the CEBR plugin were done that way...I could certainly load the plugin.

Regards,

Kevin
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        270 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-12T08:14:25Z  in response to kevmeist
        Hello Kevin,

no, you don't need the SDK if you have CICS Explorer.
        I attached the installable plug-in if you want to try it.
        Install it as archive and remeber to uncheck the "group items by category".
        And it requires the steps in Redbook chapter 9.4 in CICS to be done (URIMAP, TCPIPService, handler program CEBRWEB).

Nevertheless, this is a work around and I would prefer a CMCI interface that allows us directly to talk to the TSQ rather than installing a web program.

Regards, Isabel
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          270 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-12T08:16:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Do you by any coincidence have the IBM File Manager? Because it provides a TSQ Browse as well via CICS Explorer plug-in (see screenshot attached). The advantage is, that here you can specify a template that formats the queue entries properly (which I did not in the screenshot).
          • kevmeist
            kevmeist
            249 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T11:21:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Thanks, Isabel for those two snippets. Here, us lowly developers don't get CMCI access <g>, just the sysprogs.

Yes, we do have File Manager, but when I go to the CICS Explorer download page at:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24033579

I don't see the plugin for FM. Is it buried somewhere else?

Regards,

Kevin
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              270 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T11:28:42Z  in response to kevmeist
              Hi Kevin,

In 5.1 there's a view for TS Queues under Operations > Queues.

Is that enough for you?

If you can't remember how to find an option, a good trick is to type ctrl+3 - that gives you a search pop-up into which you can type a string. From there you can open views, perspectives, and a variety of other options.

Dave
              • kevmeist
                kevmeist
                249 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T11:38:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Hi Dave,

Under queues as you say, all I see is Copy and Open. These just give me the definitions. As mentioned before, us lowly developers are not allowed CMCI views here.

Having installed the plugin for FM and restarted (I was kinda surprised that the welcome screen came back when I did this), I opened the FM perspective. Then showed the TSQ view under the FM perspective but only see Open and Copy when right clicking a TSQ.

Am I missing something here?

K
                • JohnKnutson
                  JohnKnutson
                  126 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T11:50:56Z  in response to kevmeist
                  When a plug-in is first used after installation or update it usually forces the Welcome screen to appear.

Are you following the guidance in the FM Help To enter a CICS Temporary Storage queue, enter TS: followed by the CICS System's application id, followed by the queue name, e.g. TS:MYAPPLID:MYTS ? See IBM File Manager User Guide > General Overview Working with Resources
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    270 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T12:41:26Z  in response to JohnKnutson
                    Hello Kevin,

the File Manager plug-in uses a separate component to connect to the mainframe.
                    If you open the "host Connections" view you will note that a new connection type called "Problem Determination Tools for z/OS" is now available.
                    This link describes how to set up the server side:
                    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/pdthelp/v1r1/topic/com.ibm.filemanager.doc_12.1/cust/fmni1m00705.htm?path=7_4_7_4#fmserver

The IBM PDTools are more and more moving to commonly use this one single component (Fault Analyzer, File Manager and Debug Tool - except within CICS - are using it).

The TSQ View is provided by CICS Explorer - even if it is opened within the FM Perspective. Currently it can't browse a TSQ, just open the CICS ressource similar to CEMT.

Regards, Isabel
                  • kevmeist
                    kevmeist
                    249 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T12:56:20Z  in response to JohnKnutson
                    Hi John,

Under "which" view are you entering that TS: etc data?

K
                    • kevmeist
                      kevmeist
                      249 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T13:04:23Z  in response to kevmeist
                      John,

The user's guide (correct me if I am wrong) is all z/OS based, no?

It seems "awkward" to have to sort out things to do in CICS Explorer with the FM plugin by using the z/OS based user's guide?

K
                      • SystemAdmin
                        SystemAdmin
                        270 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T13:19:38Z  in response to kevmeist
                        Hello Kevin,

I'm sorry if this led to confusion.
                        There are 2 separate pieces of software:
                        The CICS Explorer and the File Manager.

CICS Explorer offers a View called TSQ that enables you to do CEMT and CEDA, but not CEBR to browse the TSQ contents.
                        File Manager is a product that is not only for CICS, but allows you to manage all different types of artefacts on the mainframe, like opening DB2 tables, IMS databases and certain CICS resources amongst which is the TSQ.
                        As File Manager offers an eclipse plug-in we are now able to combine both products in one user interface - either CICS Explorer or eclipse or Rational Developer for System z.
                        In general I would like to see the CICS Explorer offering TSQ browsing out of the box as well - which it can't do today.
                        You can either use the plug-in described in the Redbook n conjunction with CICS Web Support.
                        Or you can use the File Manager (if you have it within your enterprise) instead, because it offerst TSQ browsing as well.

I hope this helps clarifying :-)
                        Regards, Isabel
                        • kevmeist
                          kevmeist
                          249 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T13:26:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                          Hi Isabel,

Yes, that does clear things up. We do have FM installed. Obviously, I was trying to do something not yet available under Explorer V5.1.

I hope also that the TSQ browsing under Explorer appears soon. Currently, I am trying to push people to use Explorer more (we also use RD/z) but then we see something like this and they go right back to the z/OS stuff to use.

Thanks again,

Kevin
                      • JohnKnutson
                        JohnKnutson
                        126 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T18:08:13Z  in response to kevmeist
                        Kevin, the FM User Guide within the Eclipse Help system in CICS Explorer relates to the plug-in, not to z/OS. It is not context-senstive like the CICS Tools plug-ins, so you can't just right click on a view. from the help section I pointed you at, it looks like you need to type the applid and queue name into the Resource field. Did you try that?

John
                        • kevmeist
                          kevmeist
                          249 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T19:19:40Z  in response to JohnKnutson
                          Hi John,

I understood what you were telling me to try but I asked "where" you were typing that command. Not obvious to me here. I created 2 TSQ entries using CECI and tried typing that command into the "Name" filter field as in "TS:XXXX:KRETEST (in the TSQ view of CPSM) where XXXX is the sysid of the region used by the CECI WRITEQ TS command, but see nothing.

If I clear the filter in Explorer, I do the see KRETEST but the right click only gives me Open and Copy options.

I don't see a "Resource" field for data entry in my screens as the Help element shows me. What view is that in? Can you attach a screenshot?

The CICS sysprogs tell me they do do NOT have the CICS component for FM installed (I didn't that there was one but then again, I don't install stuff on the mainframe). I assume that they have to have that for this to work?

Regards,

Kevin

• kevmeist
              kevmeist
              249 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T11:29:36Z  in response to kevmeist
              OK, I see now that I can get FM plugin directly via Explorer V5.1.

K
            • JohnKnutson
              JohnKnutson
              126 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T11:37:58Z  in response to kevmeist
              Hi Kevin,

Thanks for pointing that out - I'll get the PD Tools plug-in link to the download page. Here it is http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14928566>

If you are using CICS Explorer V5.1, you can install the FM, and any of the other PD Tools V12 plug-ins, directly from its update site - Help / Install new software ... - the URL is pre-loaded in the Work with list.

John
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T12:05:38Z  in response to kevmeist
    Hi Kevin,

ts:ssid:queue_name is a File Manager plug-in convention to specify a TSQ. So you specify in this format while you are using the File Manager plug-in. If you are interested in knowing more about FM plug-in features, may I recommend my blog entry (https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/KenichiYoshimura/entry/why_file_manager_base25?lang=en)? You will see our naming convention for specifying various resource types including TSQ, TDQ, CICS Files, but also other things like MQ and DB2.

Regards,
    Kenichi
    • kevmeist
      kevmeist
      249 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T17:03:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Kenichi,

Looked at that. We're new to Explorer V5.1, only been here for a couple of weeks. I still have to change the FMIEXT.properties to a different port (was supposed to have been changed a long time ago, but I guess the sysprog never did change it...I can't).

On what dialog box are you entering the TS:SYSID etc on? That's what is not obvious to me here.

Clicking the browse CICS Systems under the Systems Information dialog box gets me a
      Red X on the "Browse CICS Systems" under System Information but no error shown..

I believe from talking to the sysprogs here that we do not have the CICS portion of FM installed. I assume that those components are necessary for FM to see TSQs? Those I have spoken to (so far) didn't know whether that component is separately orderable/chanrgeable or a standard part of FM. Can you answer that?

Not having the correct port for FMIEXT.properties means that I can't get through the firewalls here (or so the firewall guys tell me). I'm waiting on the sysprogs to change that to the correct port. So, I have currently the FMIEXT.properties set to port 1960, but should be 16131 (is open at the firewalls).

Yet, I can connect to the file manager on 16131. How is this possible? Deleting the log and trying the connection shows me a "Unknown ConnectionManagerEvent: com.ibm.cics.core.connections.ConnectionManagerListener$ConfigurationUpdatedEvent" with event details of:

eclipse.buildId=unknown
      java.fullversion=JRE 1.7.0 IBM J9 2.6 Windows XP x86-32 20121024_126071 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
      J9VM - R26_Java726_SR3_20121024_1635_B126071
      JIT - r11.b02_20120924_26343a
      GC - R26_Java726_SR3_20121024_1635_B126071
      J9CL - 20121024_126071
      BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
      Framework arguments: -showlocation -pluginCustomization plugin_customization.ini
      Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -showlocation -pluginCustomization plugin_customization.ini

If I click on CICS under the System Informationscreen on the FM connection on port 16131, I see a red "x" on the "Browse CICS Systems". Is that due to the incorrect port# for FM in the properties file. If so, I don't understand how the "connection" can show as green?

Regards,

Kevin
      • kevmeist
        kevmeist
        249 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T14:06:27Z  in response to kevmeist
        Hi Kenichi,

I have the port changed now and can logon using the File Manager perspective.

However, I still cannot browse CICS, DB2 or MY Data Sets using the FM plugin under "Systems Information". I get the red "x" on the folder and an I/O exception thrown while initialising connection with the server" message. The event details are shown below:

eclipse.buildId=unknown
        java.fullversion=JRE 1.7.0 IBM J9 2.6 Windows XP x86-32 20121024_126071 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
        J9VM - R26_Java726_SR3_20121024_1635_B126071
        JIT - r11.b02_20120924_26343a
        GC - R26_Java726_SR3_20121024_1635_B126071
        J9CL - 20121024_126071
        BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
        Framework arguments: -showlocation -pluginCustomization plugin_customization.ini
        Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -showlocation -pluginCustomization plugin_customization.ini

FMNCAS id running (see below), port xxxxx is configured as below and also shows correctly on the FMNCAS perspective under CICS Explorer.:

06.03.09 STC08750 ---- THURSDAY, 18 OCT 2012 ----
        06.03.09 STC08750 IEF695I START FMNCAS WITH JOBNAME FMNCAS IS A
        06.03.09 STC08750 $HASP373 FMNCAS STARTED
        06.03.09 STC08750 IEF403I FMNCAS - STARTED - TIME=06.03.09
        06.03.09 STC08750 FMNBC029 SYSTEM SSL ENVIRONMENT INITIALIZED.
        06.03.09 STC08750 FMNBB539 INITIALIZED AND LISTENING ON PORT xxxxx

Any thoughts as to what the I/O exception is for?

Regards,

Kevin
        • kevmeist
          kevmeist
          249 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-23T13:48:18Z  in response to kevmeist
          Hi Kenichi,

With the FM perspective in CICS Explorer, I reset up the connection from scratch today. I no longer get the red X on the CICS, Date Sets and DB2 items. I see "loading..." appear but down in the bottom right corner of Explorer, I see "Loading...:(20%), but that is as far as it gets. Stuck there forever it seems. I'll post this as a separate question as it seems off the point of the original post.

Regards,

Kevin