Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-25T13:20:27Z by clivejefferies
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
300 Posts

Pinned topic Worklight Application Center Configuration - internal/external IP issue

‏2013-01-11T11:39:34Z |
Hi,

I am working within GBS and we have recently implemented a Cloud Server running Worklight and the Worklight Application Center.
However we are having lots of issues with getting the application center client to download applications to iPhone/Android.

At present whenever we try to download the application center client from applicationcenter/installers.html we receive a timeout error.
Similarly with the application center client installed on a phone, we can login to the server, see application to install and then click install, but the operation the timesout.

After lots of tinkering I discovered that the application center is telling the mobile phone to install the new application via the internal ip address (which is no accessible outside of a firewall)
so the operation times out.

As an example for the iPhone, when clicking install the application center client should connect to a plist file which gives further uri of where to download the application and image.
The server tell the client to download from 10.x.x.x/applicationcenter/service/plist/com.xxx@iOS/1 , rather than the external ip of example.com/applicationcenter1/service/plist/com.xxx@iOS/1
The plist file it downloads also contains links via the internal ip which the app cannot then connect to.

I have managed to manually change the files locally to point to the correct path, and then correct operation is seen. The plist file connects to the server and the app is downloaded and is functional.
Obviously this is not a solution to the problem, just a proof that it is the incorrect path that is causing the problem.

I was wondering if anyone else had experience this issue?

If the issue is a mis-configuration in the server set up, in which case can anyone point me to the root of the problem and how to fix it?

or is this a bug in the worklight server software?

I'd be happy to provide lots more technical info on the problem if needed. and if there is anyone from worklight who can help , I would love to contact you internally.
Thanks in advance.

Joe
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

Re: Worklight Application Center Configuration - internal/external IP issue

‏2013-01-14T10:36:18Z  
    Hi,

At this time using the AppCenter client will result in failures to access resources (e.g. apk files and icons) due to incorrect URLs when the AppCenter is deployed in an application server behind another web server that is redirecting the URLs or when the internal application server address is disabled.

This feature will be available with the 5.0.5 fixpack 1.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2013-01-14T11:03:16Z  
    Hi,

At this time using the AppCenter client will result in failures to access resources (e.g. apk files and icons) due to incorrect URLs when the AppCenter is deployed in an application server behind another web server that is redirecting the URLs or when the internal application server address is disabled.

This feature will be available with the 5.0.5 fixpack 1.
    Hi thanks for the reply,

Any idea on the time frame for the update? Are we talking weeks or months.

Cheers,
    Joe
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2013-01-14T11:15:52Z  
    Hi thanks for the reply,

Any idea on the time frame for the update? Are we talking weeks or months.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Sorry my mistake not 5.0.5.1 but 5.0.6
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    49 Posts

‏2013-01-14T11:17:55Z  
    Probably months....

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    IBM Worklight Mobile Platform

Message was edited by: IdanAdar
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2013-01-14T11:34:15Z  
    • IdanAdar
    • ‏2013-01-14T11:07:36Z
    Probably months....

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    IBM Worklight Mobile Platform

Message was edited by: IdanAdar
    Ok thanks for the info.

Any idea on a workaround then ?

I've thought of editing the application center myself to download the plist file etc and inserting the correct address before it attempts a download.
    I can perform this operation manually, and it seems to work.

I'm guessing that if I did go down that road, there wouldn't be any support available from Worklight to help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2013-01-14T12:13:57Z  
    Ok thanks for the info.

Any idea on a workaround then ?

I've thought of editing the application center myself to download the plist file etc and inserting the correct address before it attempts a download.
    I can perform this operation manually, and it seems to work.

I'm guessing that if I did go down that road, there wouldn't be any support available from Worklight to help.
    Unfortunately there is no workaround since the URIs are computed in the server part and returned to the client from a REST service. Of course as you guessed every workaround modifying the client or the server part is not supported.
  • clivejefferies
    clivejefferies
    2 Posts

‏2013-01-25T13:20:27Z  
    Unfortunately there is no workaround since the URIs are computed in the server part and returned to the client from a REST service. Of course as you guessed every workaround modifying the client or the server part is not supported.
    This is pretty awful if you ask me. A lot of businesses have proxies and this makes the Application center completely useless.