IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 27 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-19T15:06:57Z by Dragos.Cojocari
gbt_l3
gbt_l3
66 Posts

Pinned topic Publishing using Java API

‏2013-01-10T21:19:49Z |
Is there there an example that demonstrates how to use DOORS DXL to generate a document using an executable java program?
Updated on 2013-02-19T15:06:57Z at 2013-02-19T15:06:57Z by Dragos.Cojocari
  • Horia
    Horia
    89 Posts

Re: Publishing using Java API

‏2013-01-14T09:59:12Z  
    Hi,

Your usage scenario is not clear. Are you planning to write your own Java app that uses the RPE Java API and then you want to launch this app from DXL?

Regards / Horia
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-01-16T19:40:55Z  
    • Horia
    • ‏2013-01-14T09:59:12Z
    Hi,

Your usage scenario is not clear. Are you planning to write your own Java app that uses the RPE Java API and then you want to launch this app from DXL?

Regards / Horia
    I want to call a java executable from dxl. The dxl script would write input params (current module, dsx file path etc) to a file that the java executable would read and then publish a document according to the dsx.
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1611 Posts

‏2013-01-17T08:51:55Z  
    Hey Greg,

RPE ships with an example application built on the java API. The source code for the application is found in %RPE__HOME%\lib\api\examples\com.ibm.rational.rpe.examples.zip

To build the application you need to follow the procedure described here: Building the sample application We use Eclipse as the development environment but you can use any Java IDE you want as long as it uses a Java 6 SDK. See Preparing the your environment to use the API

Once your application is built and you export it as a jar you can use it as described in the Command line swtiches for the example

More information on the API, such as most common use cases is available in the Using the Java API section of the infocenter.
    Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1611 Posts

‏2013-01-17T10:56:10Z  
    See http://rpeactual.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/using-the-java-api-example/ for additional resources.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-01-17T15:37:18Z  
    can the jar file be located on a network share rather than on a local machine so that it can be deployed for public consumption?
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1611 Posts

‏2013-01-17T16:12:28Z  
    Yes. And actually you don't need anything on the local machine. What you need on the shared folder is:
    • the content of the RPE_HOME lib folder
    • the config folder from RPE
    • the source folder from RPE
    • the utils folder from RPE

The structure should be
    //shared folder
    - config
    - lib
    - source
    - utils

In this case you also need to define the RPE_HOME system variable in the script you use to invoke the document generation. You should have something like:

set RPE_HOME=//shared folder

Regards,
    Dragos
    RPE Actual

Message was edited by: Dragos.Cojocari ( typos)
    Updated on 2013-01-17T16:12:28Z at 2013-01-17T16:12:28Z by Dragos.Cojocari
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-01-17T18:29:41Z  
    Yes. And actually you don't need anything on the local machine. What you need on the shared folder is:

The structure should be
    //shared folder
    - config
    - lib
    - source
    - utils

In this case you also need to define the RPE_HOME system variable in the script you use to invoke the document generation. You should have something like:

Regards,
    Dragos
    RPE Actual

Thanks for the response! Will try.
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-01-30T19:36:00Z  

The structure should be
    //shared folder
    - config
    - lib
    - source
    - utils

Regards,
    Dragos
    RPE Actual

Dragos,
    When I move my RPE_HOME/config, lib, source and util folders to a network share that is the same folder as the DOORS_ADDINS I get dxl errors

Critical error: failed to execute DOORS DXL. Make sure the DOORS Data Source configuration is correct
    Error details:
    -E- DXL: <\\sldat50\DOORS_ADDINS\L3CustomTools\global\addins\source\DOORS\dxl\doors driver\doorsToXml.dxl:3> could not open include file (source/DOORS/dxl/doors driver/fileutils.inc) (No such file or directory)
    -I- DXL: All done. Errors reported: 1. Warnings reported: 0.

CRRPE3011E IBM Rational Publishing Engine error.
    Critical error: failed to execute DOORS DXL. Make sure the DOORS Data Source configuration is correct
    Error details:
    -E- DXL: <\\sldat50\DOORS_ADDINS\L3CustomTools\global\addins\source\DOORS\dxl\doors driver\doorsToXml.dxl:3> could not open include file (source/DOORS/dxl/doors driver/fileutils.inc) (No such file or directory)
    -I- DXL: All done. Errors reported: 1. Warnings reported: 0.
    CRRPE1064I Aborting engine execution...
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1611 Posts

‏2013-01-31T09:14:48Z  
    Hey Greg,

when RPE extracts data from DOORS it runs a set of DXLs located in its home directory. Those DLXs refer to inc files using relative paths ( source/DOORS/dxl/doors driver/fileutils.inc) DOORS will attempt to resolve this using all registered addins path. When you install RPE on a machine it will append its installation path to the DOORS "addins" registry key. If RPE is not installed or you want to run DXLs from a different location you need to set that value yourself.

See this for more details DXL errors when running DOORS reports

Regards,
    Dragos
    RPE Actual
    Updated on 2013-01-31T09:14:48Z at 2013-01-31T09:14:48Z by Dragos.Cojocari
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-01-31T15:39:26Z  
    Hey Greg,

when RPE extracts data from DOORS it runs a set of DXLs located in its home directory. Those DLXs refer to inc files using relative paths ( source/DOORS/dxl/doors driver/fileutils.inc) DOORS will attempt to resolve this using all registered addins path. When you install RPE on a machine it will append its installation path to the DOORS "addins" registry key. If RPE is not installed or you want to run DXLs from a different location you need to set that value yourself.

See this for more details DXL errors when running DOORS reports

Regards,
    Dragos
    RPE Actual
    Dragos,
    We set the DOORS addins path from the command line. There are no registry entries for DOORS addins.I set RPE_HOME to the same folder as the DOORS addins and copied the folders you listed from the local machine to the addins folder. I still get these errors.

Greg
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1611 Posts

‏2013-01-31T15:49:08Z  
    Hey Greg,

Please describe the folder structure of your network shared folder ( screenshot would be even better) and what are the exact values you have specified for RPE_HOME and the addins value you provided in the DOORS command line.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-01-31T15:58:53Z  
    Hey Greg,

Please describe the folder structure of your network shared folder ( screenshot would be even better) and what are the exact values you have specified for RPE_HOME and the addins value you provided in the DOORS command line.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    Dragos,
    These are the system variables of interest;

RPE_HOME=\\sldat50\DOORS_ADDINS\L3CustomTools\global\addins
    STD_DOORS_ADDINS=\\sldat50\DOORS_ADDINS\L3CustomTools\global\addins
    STD_DOORS_PROJADDINS=\\sldat50\DOORS_ADDINS\L3CustomTools\global\projectaddins

and this is the DOORS command line

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Rational\DOORS\9.5\bin\doors.exe" -data 36677@128.170.9.142 -a %STD_DOORS_ADDINS%;-J %STD_DOORS_PROJADDINS%
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1611 Posts

‏2013-01-31T16:16:57Z  
    Thanks Greg. And I assume inside the source folder from that location you have the "doors/dxl/doors driver". Also I assume there is no DXL security defined on the DB.

How do you launch the RPE Launcher or the Java API based tool that does the document generation?

And as a workaround to allow you to continue working on your solution whilee this out you can edit RPE's DXLs from the network share and refer the inc files using the absolute path rather than the relative one. That way you would not need to specifi the addins path.
    Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-01-31T16:20:01Z  
    Thanks Greg. And I assume inside the source folder from that location you have the "doors/dxl/doors driver". Also I assume there is no DXL security defined on the DB.

How do you launch the RPE Launcher or the Java API based tool that does the document generation?

And as a workaround to allow you to continue working on your solution whilee this out you can edit RPE's DXLs from the network share and refer the inc files using the absolute path rather than the relative one. That way you would not need to specifi the addins path.
    Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    Dragos,
    Here is a look at the source folder from the DXL Debugger. It seems happy with the location of the files there are no errors indicated.

Greg
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-01-31T18:27:21Z  
    • gbt_l3
    • ‏2013-01-31T16:20:01Z
    Dragos,
    Here is a look at the source folder from the DXL Debugger. It seems happy with the location of the files there are no errors indicated.

Greg
    So using the absolute paths in those files got me running. Now the java –jar SampleDocgen.bat file is throwing errors due to UNC paths from file share locations.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1611 Posts

‏2013-02-01T16:35:33Z  
    Hey Greg,

I assume you have not provided the RPE_HOME as an argument to the jar file.

Anyway to ensure everything works I have created a similar environment here. I managed to get everything working without hitting any DXL or other errots. These were the steps that I made:

• create a folder called rpeapi on a network share ( rpeapi can be anything)
    • from the RPE installation I have copied the config, lib and utils folder on my network share
    • I have downloaded the sample docgen from the link provided here Using Java API by example and copied the jar file in the lib folder from the network share
    • I have then create a batch file to start DOORS called startDOORS.bat. The file looks like this:

set DOORS_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Rational\DOORS\9.5\bin set RPE_HOME=\\giediprime\tools\rpeapi 
    "%DOORS_HOME%\doors.exe" -data 36677@giediprime -a %RPE_HOME%

• I have created the following script to start the docgen ( runcmd.bat)

@echo off   set JRE_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Java60\jre\bin set RPE_HOME=\\giediprime\tools\rpeapi   rem update the PATH variable so that the RPE API finds the license DLL. Alternatively place the dll in a location allready in the PATH set PATH=%RPE_HOME%\lib;%PATH%   rem run using the network share home and use the first argument provided as the docspec 
    "%JRE_HOME%\java" -jar 
    "%RPE_HOME%\lib\SampleDocgen.jar" %1 -home 
    "%RPE_HOME%"

Now to run all this first I start DOORS using startDOORS.bat. Once DOORS is started and I'm authenticated I run the runcmd.bat file using the following command

runcmd.bat D:\tmp\testDOORS.dsx

This is the output I get

D:\tmp>runcmd.bat D:\tmp\testDOORS.dsx [Sample] 18:34:36 - Running document specification: file:/D:/tmp/testDOORS.dsx [Sample] 18:34:36 - RPE Engine version: 1.2 [Sample] 18:34:36 - Java version: 1.6.0 [Sample] 18:34:36 - Local document generation [Sample] 18:34:36 - [Sample] 18:34:36 - Loading docspec ... [RPE] 18:34:37 - Could not load all extensions. Error is: org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform [RPE] 18:34:39 - Could not load all extensions. Error is: org/eclipse/core/runtime/Platform [Sample] 18:34:40 - Preparing docspec ... [Sample] 18:34:40 - Starting run... [Sample] 18:34:40 - The license is confirmed and is valid 

for 348 more days. [Sample] 18:34:41 - Processing document template 1 of 1. [Sample] 18:34:41 - Reading DOORS data from module: /Car/Requirements/System Requirements, view: Standard view, version: Current . [Sample] 18:34:41 - Running DXL: \\giediprime\tools\rpeapi\source\DOORS\dxl\doors driver\doorsToXml9301.dxl. [Sample] 18:34:43 - DXL execution finished after 1 seconds. [RPE] 18:34:43 - CRRPE3107I The XML data source file:/C:/Users/Spurlos/AppData/Local/Temp/RPE/temp/tmpDOORS/e751dc58-d744-4700-b c3c-aaff7788302e/doorsXMLe751dc58-d744-4700-bc3c-aaff7788302e.xml is loading. [RPE] 18:34:44 - CRRPE3094I 1500 publishing commands are processed. 892 publishing commands remain to be processed. [RPE] 18:34:45 - CRRPE3094I 2393 publishing commands are processed. 0 publishing commands remain to be processed. [RPE] 18:34:45 - CRRPE3097I The document template is processed. If there are no more templates to process, output files are bein g written. [Sample] 18:34:45 - Finalizing document generation. Writing output files... [Sample] 18:34:47 - Document generation finished in 7 seconds. [Sample] 18:34:47 - Engine execution finished succesfully. The results are: [Sample] 18:34:47 -     Html: C:\Users\Spurlos\AppData\Local\Temp\RPE\output\out_c22c13fd-4ba6-424c-bf80-d0925f6ea7c5_Html\Html_ c22c13fd-4ba6-424c-bf80-d0925f6ea7c5.htm [Sample] 18:34:47 -     Word: C:\Users\Spurlos\AppData\Local\Temp\RPE\output\out_32e2aa1f-e739-4b37-83fe-5c7e268f1795_Word\Word_ 32e2aa1f-e739-4b37-83fe-5c7e268f1795.doc [Sample] 18:34:47 -     PDF: C:\Users\Spurlos\AppData\Local\Temp\RPE\output\out_ef280693-bf3b-452a-ae12-38d374cd4e0e_PDF\PDF_ef2 80693-bf3b-452a-ae12-38d374cd4e0e.pdf [Sample] 18:34:47 -     XslFo: C:\Users\Spurlos\AppData\Local\Temp\RPE\output\out_89496b2b-2802-4885-b62a-248a519dc7a5_XslFo\Xsl Fo_89496b2b-2802-4885-b62a-248a519dc7a5.fo [Sample] 18:34:47 - All done

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-02-05T14:17:50Z  
    Dragos,
    I have this working but I am missing a couple of pieces. I can't get DXL code to behave correctly when calling a .bat file. The 'system' command is asynchronous and throws an error 'Unable to create process' and the 'win32SystemWait_' does work, sort of. It hangs DOORS unless I call cscript which then calls the .bat file. See snips. below. I can likely clean things up by moving everything into the vbs but I have three problems.So I am left with the following questions.
    - If we use the Java API will an RPE license be consumed while the document generation is taking place?
    - Does RPE need to be installed on the users machine if we use the Java API?
    - How do I pass the current module to the dsx file?
    - The dos command window is suppressed and there is no indication of activity while document is being published. How do I unsuppress it?
    - The document is not displayed after the script finishes and the user will have no way to find it. How can I automatically open the document after the script runs?

I am only concerned with Word documents so the scenario is constrained to that use case alone.

print win32SystemWait_("cscript //Nologo //B \"\\\\global\\addins\\REQM\\documents\\doc.vbs\"", result, -1)

set JRE_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin
    set RPE_HOME=\\sldat50\DOORS_ADDINS\RPE\api
    set DSX_HOME=\\sldat50\DOORS_ADDINS\RPE\templates
    set PATH=%RPE_HOME%\lib;%PATH%
    ::Update the PATH variable so that the RPE API finds the license DLL.
    ::Alternatively place the dll in a location allready in the PATH set PATH=%RPE_HOME%\lib;%PATH%
    ::Run using the network share home and use the first argument provided as the docspec
    "%JRE_HOME%\java" -jar "%RPE_HOME%\lib\SampleDocgen.jar" %DSX_HOME%\specification.dsx -home "%RPE_HOME%"
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-02-05T14:21:08Z  
    • gbt_l3
    • ‏2013-02-05T14:17:50Z
    Dragos,
    I have this working but I am missing a couple of pieces. I can't get DXL code to behave correctly when calling a .bat file. The 'system' command is asynchronous and throws an error 'Unable to create process' and the 'win32SystemWait_' does work, sort of. It hangs DOORS unless I call cscript which then calls the .bat file. See snips. below. I can likely clean things up by moving everything into the vbs but I have three problems.So I am left with the following questions.
    - If we use the Java API will an RPE license be consumed while the document generation is taking place?
    - Does RPE need to be installed on the users machine if we use the Java API?
    - How do I pass the current module to the dsx file?
    - The dos command window is suppressed and there is no indication of activity while document is being published. How do I unsuppress it?
    - The document is not displayed after the script finishes and the user will have no way to find it. How can I automatically open the document after the script runs?

I am only concerned with Word documents so the scenario is constrained to that use case alone.

print win32SystemWait_("cscript //Nologo //B \"\\\\global\\addins\\REQM\\documents\\doc.vbs\"", result, -1)

set JRE_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin
    set RPE_HOME=\\sldat50\DOORS_ADDINS\RPE\api
    set DSX_HOME=\\sldat50\DOORS_ADDINS\RPE\templates
    set PATH=%RPE_HOME%\lib;%PATH%
    ::Update the PATH variable so that the RPE API finds the license DLL.
    ::Alternatively place the dll in a location allready in the PATH set PATH=%RPE_HOME%\lib;%PATH%
    ::Run using the network share home and use the first argument provided as the docspec
    "%JRE_HOME%\java" -jar "%RPE_HOME%\lib\SampleDocgen.jar" %DSX_HOME%\specification.dsx -home "%RPE_HOME%"
    doc.vbs contains the following. For some reason C:\Temp\Specification.doc will open if that is the only line in the script and won't otherwise.

set shell=createobject("wscript.shell")
    shell.Run "%comspec% /c \\sldat50\DOORS_ADDINS\L3CustomTools\global\addins\REQM\documents\test.bat", 0, True

shell.Run "%comspec% /c C:\Temp\Specification.doc", 0, False
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1611 Posts

‏2013-02-05T16:58:20Z  
    Hey Greg,

I'm afraid I cannot help with the DOORS/VBS issues you are having. For the other questions:

>> If we use the Java API will an RPE license be consumed while the document generation is taking place?
    Yes.

>>> Does RPE need to be installed on the users machine if we use the Java API?
    No. In the example I provided above I have used a machine that did not have RPE.

>>> How do I pass the current module to the dsx file?
    You need to pass that to the Java app that does this stuff. The example shipped with RPE cannot that ( its not meant to do it) but you can customize it to take that info as argument and update the DSX data source with it.

>>> The document is not displayed after the script finishes and the user will have no way to find it. How can I automatically open the document after the script runs?
    You can enhance the Java API application to do that at the end of the document generation rather than just printing that in the console.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-02-05T22:40:34Z  
    Hey Greg,

I'm afraid I cannot help with the DOORS/VBS issues you are having. For the other questions:

>> If we use the Java API will an RPE license be consumed while the document generation is taking place?
    Yes.

>>> Does RPE need to be installed on the users machine if we use the Java API?
    No. In the example I provided above I have used a machine that did not have RPE.

>>> How do I pass the current module to the dsx file?
    You need to pass that to the Java app that does this stuff. The example shipped with RPE cannot that ( its not meant to do it) but you can customize it to take that info as argument and update the DSX data source with it.

>>> The document is not displayed after the script finishes and the user will have no way to find it. How can I automatically open the document after the script runs?
    You can enhance the Java API application to do that at the end of the document generation rather than just printing that in the console.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    Dragos,
    Any chance you can add The ability to specify the DataSource Name and URI and Word stylesheet as input parameters to your example. That would be extremely helpful. I could then expand on it for different use cases by looking at the source code. But it would solve my current use case straight away.

If users are running .dsx files from the Java API do the other DOORS parameters get from the dsx file get used to login to DOORS or does the open DOORS session get used?

I guess I'm wondering if I'll need to pass all of those parameters in to the Java API for each data source.

Thanks for your time,

Greg
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1611 Posts

‏2013-02-06T08:51:17Z  
    Hey Greg,

>>> Any chance you can add The ability to specify the DataSource Name and URI and Word stylesheet as input parameters to your example. That would be extremely helpful. I could then expand on it for different use cases by looking at the source code. But it would solve my current use case straight away.
    This would defeat the purpose for making the RPE Java API public and it would also not scale with requirements from all RPE users or even requirements coming from a single user as they evolve in time.

>>> If users are running .dsx files from the Java API do the other DOORS parameters get from the dsx file get used to login to DOORS or does the open DOORS session get used?
    >>> I guess I'm wondering if I'll need to pass all of those parameters in to the Java API for each data source.
    That depends on the application. The example that ships with RPE is made to work much like a RPE Launcher without UI. This means that if you provide it with a docspec where "new_instance"=false for the DOORS data source it will use the current DOORS instance otherwise it will try to create a new instance using the information from the docspec ( user name, password, DOORS exe, DB etc). But of course you could build an app that would take that all information as input ( I suggest putting it in some config file rather than passing each piece of info as a command line argument) and build a docspec on the fly.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-02-06T22:51:57Z  
    Hey Greg,

>>> Any chance you can add The ability to specify the DataSource Name and URI and Word stylesheet as input parameters to your example. That would be extremely helpful. I could then expand on it for different use cases by looking at the source code. But it would solve my current use case straight away.
    This would defeat the purpose for making the RPE Java API public and it would also not scale with requirements from all RPE users or even requirements coming from a single user as they evolve in time.

>>> If users are running .dsx files from the Java API do the other DOORS parameters get from the dsx file get used to login to DOORS or does the open DOORS session get used?
    >>> I guess I'm wondering if I'll need to pass all of those parameters in to the Java API for each data source.
    That depends on the application. The example that ships with RPE is made to work much like a RPE Launcher without UI. This means that if you provide it with a docspec where "new_instance"=false for the DOORS data source it will use the current DOORS instance otherwise it will try to create a new instance using the information from the docspec ( user name, password, DOORS exe, DB etc). But of course you could build an app that would take that all information as input ( I suggest putting it in some config file rather than passing each piece of info as a command line argument) and build a docspec on the fly.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    Dragos,
    Can you provide html javadoc for your API?

Regards,
    Greg
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1611 Posts

‏2013-02-07T13:44:02Z  
    Hey Greg,

the RPE 1.2 Infocenter covers them most common use case scenarios for the Java API usage. We have considered that approach is more useful than a dry Javadoc. See attached screenshot for a quick view of topics covered.

The following should help you to solve the questions of how to configure a data source and how to modify what the example application does with the outputs:
    Configuring a datasource
    Retrieving results published locally

If you find that the current content is not enough for your needs please raise requests through support or the RFE community.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2013-02-18T15:47:12Z  
    How do I set doors_home? The only example that you provide sets URI. And there is no javadoc to explore. I have this set up, working and ready to test and deploy.

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:54 PM
    To: Taillefer, Greg @ CSG - CSW
    Subject: Re: RPE API

Hey Greg,

If your are talking about the doors_home property of the data source from your template than you don't need that at all if you are using an existing DOORS instance to get the data. But to set it you would set it like you have set the DOORS URI property it's exactly, the same. Anyway let's continue this on devworks.

Message was edited by: Dragos.Cojocari Removed email address from post.
    Updated on 2013-02-18T15:47:12Z at 2013-02-18T15:47:12Z by gbt_l3