Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-12-10T01:03:10Z by MervynVenter
patrbng
patrbng
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic BRMS DUPMEDBRM and full system save

‏2013-01-10T18:01:37Z |
I'm doing some testing but have ran into a curious problem and am looking for some ideas.

The environment is a small test partition (v7r1 TR5) with two virtual tape drives and one TS3310 tape library with one LTO4 drive. I wanted to show how you could use multiple virtual tape drives to improve save performance and then duplicate the virtual cartridges to a single physical cartridge for long term storage.

Using the Q1AALWMFDP data area I was able to make this work as expected, with one problem. When a full system save is done and the DUPMEDBRM process is run, it doesn't force the QFILEIML and OS sequences to be at the front of the tape. It always duplicates the second cartridge first.

I know I could break apart the full system save into separate control groups and then duplicate the SAVSYS first then the rest using the *END. I'm going to open a PMR but figured I would post here too.

Also, I'm curious if anyone else has run into this.

Patrick
Updated on 2013-01-14T15:13:59Z at 2013-01-14T15:13:59Z by patrbng
  • patrbng
    patrbng
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: BRMS DUPMEDBRM and full system save

‏2013-01-11T03:37:55Z  in response to patrbng
    A little further information, I've done the same test using the default *SYSTEM control group and it worked correctly when I used the command DUPMEDBRM with *SYSTEM as the file group type. So now, I'm trying to find a way to make the copy of the *SYSTEM control group's file group be set to *SYSTEM as the backup runs.
  • QSECOFR
    QSECOFR
    55 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-11T14:44:35Z  in response to patrbng
    Hi Patrick,

During my performance testing a couple of years ago, I found that multiple virtual tape devices were faster than a single tape device. I found that it ran best with up to 4-5 devices on the save and 3-4 devices on the restore. This was consistent with the performance guide that was published.

As far as using the Q1AALWMFDP dtaara to duplicate to a single physical cartridge, how are your control group entries set up, including any exits before or after the *SAVSYS.

• Brian
    • patrbng
      patrbng
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-14T15:13:59Z  in response to QSECOFR
      The full system save is just a copy of the default *SYSTEM. The standard blank *EXIT at the beginning and end are there but nothing else.

In my further testing even using the *SYSTEM default resulted in the DUPMEDBRM not forcing the QFILEIBM to be at the front of the consolidated tape cartridge when using *SEARCH. I think the only way to make it work is to specify the vol ser of the tape you want to be first.
  • MervynVenter
    MervynVenter
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-10T01:03:10Z  in response to patrbng

Hi Patrick, FYI, the BRMS June PTF 2013 has a fix for this and it will ensure that the SAVSYS is put on sequence 1 for the duplication..

Thanks

Mervyn