4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-10T18:07:20Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2327 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic General Worklight Question

‏2013-01-10T16:37:14Z |
Hello all!

I am interested in discovering if there are any benefits Worklight can add to my app that would only work if our users have their own copy of Worklight and their own Worklight Server.

I.E. is there some sort of feature that could be added to my app that would only work if the user had their own Worklight Server. Improved authentication maybe, or better analytics?

Thanks!
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: General Worklight Question

‏2013-01-10T17:37:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    General question indeed. :)
    Can you clarify what do you mean by "users"?

You have an application server, Worklight runs ontop of it and manages your application(s) (also created by Worklight), which are deployed on your end-users or sales representatives, etc, devices.
    Why should the 'user' have a 'stand-alone' server? Do you want to deploy dozens or more servers per app, one server per users? how many users? it does not sound very efficient, let alone costly. :-)

A single server can manage many apps and users, and provide tight authentication and usage analytics for them.
    Have you went through the Worklight features and training modules, etc?

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/mobile-solutions/worklight/features/
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mobile/worklight/getting-started/

Edit: I see from your nickname that you are from Clearblade, so I now assume you understand the above... some clarifications about the question are needed then...

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    IBM Worklight Mobile Platform

Message was edited by: IdanAdar
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2327 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-10T17:51:51Z  in response to IdanAdar
      Hello Idan,

Users are those that have downloaded the app.

Let me try to clear confusion with an example. ClearBlade currently has an app out called ClearConcert. ClearConcert works as a mobile interface to Rational Team Concert. Obviously, for this app to work, the user of ClearConcert must also use Rational Team Concert.

Now, let's say this same user also uses Worklight. Is there anyway this app can use that knowledge to somehow improve user experience?

Does that clear things up at all?
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-10T18:03:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Is this application built ontop of Worklight or other technology?

If you port the application to Worklight, then you could use Worklight's various authentication mechanisms to verify the identity of the users against the user directory on RTC; use Worklight adapters to communicate with the RTC server in order to fetch information, etc... cherry pick features...

I can only answer generally as well, as I don't know what are the application's requirements.
    Other than that, I don't think each user needs a separate Worklight Server, the idea is that a single server can cater for many users; and of course with the right network topology you could have something scalable, etc...

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    IBM Worklight Mobile Platform
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2327 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-10T18:07:20Z  in response to IdanAdar
      Ok,

Thank you Idan!

I had this similar thought process, but wanted to see if some one else had a different opinion.

Thank you!
      Corbyn