Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-17T07:10:25Z by GregPrice
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Extra information in Release column of query results

‏2013-01-10T16:03:45Z |
Happy New Year all,

When running a report to look at product usage some products report multiple versions which are almost identical except for 4 characters in the release field enclosed in parenthesis.

Can somebody please explain the significance/meaning of these additional figures?

Example:

Vendor Product ID Release
IBM CICS Transaction Server for z/OS 4.1.0
IBM CICS Transaction Server for z/OS 4.1.0(1010)

Thanks Phil.
Updated on 2013-02-07T19:42:31Z at 2013-02-07T19:42:31Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Extra information in Release column of query results

‏2013-01-15T05:29:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Phil,

The additional figures indicate a different maintenance level for the Product - Version - Release combination.

Regards,
    Ashwini
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-15T08:17:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Ashwini

Thanks for the reply - this has though opened up some more queries which I have listed below...
    1. Are you able to provide an explanation as to why all products don't contain this information?
    2. Is there any explanation available as to what the numbers relate to in terms of maintenance level so that we are able to interpret the numbers?

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks Phil.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-17T05:40:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Phil,

The reason that not all products have the maint level is that the algorithm we use allows for a certain amount of change in the load modules. In most cases even when extra maint is applied we are able to identify the release without having to take a new observation. So the initial identification in the GKB is still valid. When a lot of maint is applied the changes maybe to much for the algorithm so that it can no longer identify the version but cans till identify the product. The maint levels we show eg (1010) just means that the changes for the latest modules occured on or about that date being YYMM for IBM products. In most cases it's supposed to be the RSU level. Now this can vary as I have found but at least we can identify the version correctly.

I hope this explains the maint levels you see in the identified product.

Jim K.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T19:42:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks for the information all.
  • PatCole
    PatCole
    31 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-16T17:58:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Jim, Our DB2 engineering team needs the RSU level for their reporting.  TADz is displaying an RSU value that is not meaningful.  They expect to see 1212 and we are seeing 1108. 

Can you explain how TADz arrives at a given RSU value for DB2? 

Is there anything we can do to ensure this value is accurate?

Thanks,

Pat

• GregPrice
      GregPrice
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-17T07:10:25Z  in response to PatCole

Pat,

I expect Jim will correct me if I'm wrong, but what I believe usually happens is:
      1. The GKB gets loaded with the data to match a release of a product.
      2. Over time maintenance is applied to that release, causing variations from the data "known" by the GKB.
      3. Eventually the release's modules have varied so much that they are no longer correctly identified.
      4. Another data sample is taken for the PUT/RSU level on hand of the release which is no longer correctly identified.
      5. This new data is used to create additional (new, without replacing old) entries in the GKB where the release is also qualified with a yymm string.

That is, the yymm was typed into the GKB data at data-create time as a static character string, and is not a dynamic tracker of the PUT/RSU level you happen to be running.  It will stay the same while its data remains sufficiently accurate to match the software found in your libraries, even if you put on more maintenance.

It is possible for the "new" RSU level to again become no longer current as even more maintenance goes on, in which case the process can be repeated with the even newer RSU level used to collect the data being quoted in the release name.  The old entries remain in the GKB so that back-level copies of the release without current maintenance can still be identified.

Regards,
      Greg