• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-09T17:02:10Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts

Pinned topic Datapower: How to create a new log for WS-Proxy

‏2013-01-08T22:10:22Z |
Hello Everyone;

I want to create or design a log for my WS-Proxy, and when the process crosses in a established policy doesm't generate any logs.

NOTE: It's a new log, i don't talk about the WS-Proxy default log, it's a new log, similar to a trace for my procees across the policies in my project.

Regards from Colombia;
Cristian.
Updated on 2013-01-09T17:02:10Z at 2013-01-09T17:02:10Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

Re: Datapower: How to create a new log for WS-Proxy

‏2013-01-08T22:41:32Z  
    I don't understand your requirement completely, but you'd generally create a custom log target that subscribed only to what you want logged. However, if you want one rule logged while another is not, you'll probably need to create custom log categories and subscribe/exempt your log target to those custom categories only.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-01-09T13:37:57Z  
    I don't understand your requirement completely, but you'd generally create a custom log target that subscribed only to what you want logged. However, if you want one rule logged while another is not, you'll probably need to create custom log categories and subscribe/exempt your log target to those custom categories only.
    Hello and thanks for your answer;

This "Custom log" can store all the activties for each policy? Can you explain me about the custom logs and the categories that i can use to tailor those logs? Each custom log is for each part of the policy? I.E: one log for Match, another for AAA, another for Validation, and so on?
    Regards from Colombia;
    Cristian.
  • swlinn
    swlinn
    1347 Posts

‏2013-01-09T15:18:55Z  

This "Custom log" can store all the activties for each policy? Can you explain me about the custom logs and the categories that i can use to tailor those logs? Each custom log is for each part of the policy? I.E: one log for Match, another for AAA, another for Validation, and so on?
    Regards from Colombia;
    Cristian.
    If you want a logging target specific to your WSP, then subscribe to all events at some priority (debug, warn, error, etc), and also place an object filter, specifying the object type (WSP) and your object name. The logging subsystem uses a subscription method. Any service, your stylesheet, etc, can produce a log entry, specifying a priority and category (for example, aaa, etc). When those logs are created, all of your logging targets will get a look at it and determine if it matches their subscriptions, and if so, will write it to the configured destination. No match, and the logging target ignores the log record. You can get very granular if you wish for your custom log targets, but then you have more targets to manage, so typically what I see in the field are a) generic logging target - all events at error and above b) logging target specific to 1..n categories c) logging targets specific to a service.

Regards,
    Steve
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2013-01-09T17:02:10Z  
    • swlinn
    • ‏2013-01-09T15:18:55Z
    If you want a logging target specific to your WSP, then subscribe to all events at some priority (debug, warn, error, etc), and also place an object filter, specifying the object type (WSP) and your object name. The logging subsystem uses a subscription method. Any service, your stylesheet, etc, can produce a log entry, specifying a priority and category (for example, aaa, etc). When those logs are created, all of your logging targets will get a look at it and determine if it matches their subscriptions, and if so, will write it to the configured destination. No match, and the logging target ignores the log record. You can get very granular if you wish for your custom log targets, but then you have more targets to manage, so typically what I see in the field are a) generic logging target - all events at error and above b) logging target specific to 1..n categories c) logging targets specific to a service.

Regards,
    Steve

I got your comment and i will got on practice in the project, i hope what we can create the custom logs with your help.

Regards from Colombia;
    Cristian.