• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-15T05:18:25Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
12 Posts

Pinned topic Creating and attaching planned drawing to a location

‏2013-01-08T12:21:06Z |
Hi,
Can anyone please give me any pointers on creating planned drawings using CAD Integrator. Where is the reference document or step by step approach?
This document - pdf_tri_cadint_for_autocad.pdf only mentions about it, but how to create the actual drawings is not at all addressed?

I have created the locations(floor-spaces etc) in TRIRIGA but dont know how to create corresponding planned drawings for them and then subsequently perform other operations like assigning people etc.
Updated on 2013-01-15T05:18:25Z at 2013-01-15T05:18:25Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    12 Posts

Re: Creating and attaching planned drawing to a location

‏2013-01-09T22:28:40Z  
    Hello Nishant,

The CI guide you referenced (http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v49r1/topic/com.ibm.tri.doc/pdfs/pdf_tri_cadint_for_autocad.pdf) has a section entitled "How do I create a Planned Floor drawing?" on page 28. This section lists out the detail you're looking for.

Creating planned drawings is a two step process. You first have to create the planned locations in the TRIRIGA environment, this is done entirely outside of CAD Integrator, and as the CI guide mentions it is covered in more detail in the Move Management chapter of the Space and Move Management guide: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v49r1/topic/com.ibm.tri.doc/pdfs/pdf_tri_space_move_mng.pdf.

Once you have your planned locations created in the TRIRIGA environment, you need to create a planning drawing. The process to do this is covered step-by-step on page 29 of the CI guide. In this process, CI is essentially copying the existing drawing that you have, creating another drawing file, attaching it to the "planning" version of the records that the original drawing was attached to. This allows you to work through potential change scenarios and not impact your original drawing/records.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    12 Posts

‏2013-01-10T08:42:59Z  
    Hello Nishant,

The CI guide you referenced (http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v49r1/topic/com.ibm.tri.doc/pdfs/pdf_tri_cadint_for_autocad.pdf) has a section entitled "How do I create a Planned Floor drawing?" on page 28. This section lists out the detail you're looking for.

Creating planned drawings is a two step process. You first have to create the planned locations in the TRIRIGA environment, this is done entirely outside of CAD Integrator, and as the CI guide mentions it is covered in more detail in the Move Management chapter of the Space and Move Management guide: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v49r1/topic/com.ibm.tri.doc/pdfs/pdf_tri_space_move_mng.pdf.

Once you have your planned locations created in the TRIRIGA environment, you need to create a planning drawing. The process to do this is covered step-by-step on page 29 of the CI guide. In this process, CI is essentially copying the existing drawing that you have, creating another drawing file, attaching it to the "planning" version of the records that the original drawing was attached to. This allows you to work through potential change scenarios and not impact your original drawing/records.
    Thank you rk for your reply. Let me describe you the actual issue. I can create a drawing using CAD integrator and Auto CAD, attach that drawing to a location for instance say a Floor (triFloor). Once I do it I want to make space level allocations on that floor. like I want to attach spaces under Building(triBuilding)>Floor(triFloor)>Seating Area(triSpaceGroup)> Workspaces(triSpaces). At this point when I go to Attach>Location for the same drawing, I am not able to see the hierarchy which is required to make space level allocations in the Floor. All I see is first level nodes like Meeting Rooms, Seating Areas etc which are all space groups but not the individual spaces under these categories. Any help will be highly appreciated.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    12 Posts

‏2013-01-10T19:46:35Z  
    Thank you rk for your reply. Let me describe you the actual issue. I can create a drawing using CAD integrator and Auto CAD, attach that drawing to a location for instance say a Floor (triFloor). Once I do it I want to make space level allocations on that floor. like I want to attach spaces under Building(triBuilding)>Floor(triFloor)>Seating Area(triSpaceGroup)> Workspaces(triSpaces). At this point when I go to Attach>Location for the same drawing, I am not able to see the hierarchy which is required to make space level allocations in the Floor. All I see is first level nodes like Meeting Rooms, Seating Areas etc which are all space groups but not the individual spaces under these categories. Any help will be highly appreciated.
    I see, what you're describing is a different problem that is outside of Strategic Facilities Planning.

Older versions of CAD Integrator (v10 or below, which you can check in the About dialog) do not work well with "Space Groups"; it is not a part of the shipping application definition and I don't believe that there's a way to configure it to get that scenario working. Prior to version 12 of CI, which is the latest version, it only handled one object type under the root object (Floor), and by default that is Space; so it will not see your Space Group records. In the past, users would handle this using CI's special conditions around sub-spaces, so if you wanted a "grouping", you'd create a floor, a space, and then spaces under that parent space (so triFloor > triSpace > triSpace). CI will recognize this with the as-delivered application definition.

The new version of CI (v12) allows for more robust application definition configuration, which is now all done in the TRIRIGA environment. It will allow configuration of an application definition that will properly support this scenario. The information center below will give you more detail on the new version of CI (which also requires a 3.3 platform upgrade).

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v49r1/topic/com.ibm.tri.doc_10.3/spm_overview/t_ctr_mng_space_move_cad.html

We've also posted an article on this wiki which compares the old and new versions: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/IBM%20TRIRIGA1/page/Changes%20in%20version%2012
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    12 Posts

‏2013-01-15T05:04:11Z  
    I see, what you're describing is a different problem that is outside of Strategic Facilities Planning.

Older versions of CAD Integrator (v10 or below, which you can check in the About dialog) do not work well with "Space Groups"; it is not a part of the shipping application definition and I don't believe that there's a way to configure it to get that scenario working. Prior to version 12 of CI, which is the latest version, it only handled one object type under the root object (Floor), and by default that is Space; so it will not see your Space Group records. In the past, users would handle this using CI's special conditions around sub-spaces, so if you wanted a "grouping", you'd create a floor, a space, and then spaces under that parent space (so triFloor > triSpace > triSpace). CI will recognize this with the as-delivered application definition.

The new version of CI (v12) allows for more robust application definition configuration, which is now all done in the TRIRIGA environment. It will allow configuration of an application definition that will properly support this scenario. The information center below will give you more detail on the new version of CI (which also requires a 3.3 platform upgrade).

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v49r1/topic/com.ibm.tri.doc_10.3/spm_overview/t_ctr_mng_space_move_cad.html

We've also posted an article on this wiki which compares the old and new versions: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/IBM%20TRIRIGA1/page/Changes%20in%20version%2012
    Thanks a lot Ryan for your valuable suggestions. Yes I am able to see 1 level spaces under a triFloor. I removed the triSpaceGroup and now I am able to see the immediate hierarchy. Now to get a triFloor>triSpace>triSpace kind of multi level hierarchy, I am planning to upgrade to CAD Integrator - v11 to CAD Integrator - v12 as suggested by you.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    12 Posts

‏2013-01-15T05:18:25Z  
    Thanks a lot Ryan for your valuable suggestions. Yes I am able to see 1 level spaces under a triFloor. I removed the triSpaceGroup and now I am able to see the immediate hierarchy. Now to get a triFloor>triSpace>triSpace kind of multi level hierarchy, I am planning to upgrade to CAD Integrator - v11 to CAD Integrator - v12 as suggested by you.
    Glad that worked for you! Please keep in mind that you can still handle a sub-space scenario with your current version of CAD Integrator, you should be able to create a space record under another space record (Floor > Space > Space), and your existing CI will display it and attach to it. If you do want to go forward with the upgrade to take advantage of the new features, just make sure you're also able to upgrade your platform to version 3.3 first.