Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-22T10:37:59Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
340 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic pvu count error

‏2013-01-07T20:14:16Z |
i am relatively new to license metric calculations.
we have a ibm p series lpar running on 740 frame. when i do a lpar stat on the box it shows

System configuration: type=Shared mode=Uncapped smt=4 lcpu=16 mem=49152MB psize=3 ent=3.00

so i assume in the metric tool it should show up as 3 times 70 = 210 pvu. but instead it shows up 280 pvu.
This showing up for IBM Websphere Portal enable under manage software inventory.

when i go to hardware -> processors ( it shows up only 3 cores for the particular LPAR)
IBM(R)
POWER7 (710, 720, 730, 740 servers)
Multi-core
All Existing
8205-E6C

No

p-corp-ptlap-01

IBM 8205 107958R
Updated on 2013-01-22T10:37:59Z at 2013-01-22T10:37:59Z by SystemAdmin
  • MaksKowalik
    MaksKowalik
    78 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: pvu count error

‏2013-01-08T09:14:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,

here you read about how's subcapacity calculated on particular virtualization: license counting rules

The case you're describing is explained starting from the page 9 of: scenarios on Power systems

When LPAR runs in Uncapped mode (which is your case) then Virtual processors are multiplied by PVU value of single core. As your LPAR has 4 virtual processors configured, you get 4 times 70 = 280.

If LPAR would be configured as Capped then PVU would be 3 times 70 = 210.

The other thing is Shared Processor Pool capacity. Was it set to 3 cores during the whole reporting period? The Processor's panel shows the last daily calculated value, whereas Audit report shows the maximum values in the reporting period.

If you are sure that you've always had pool size set to 3 (which should limit LPAR capacity to 3 cores) then please contact support - your LMT database must be investigated in order to determine where does the 4 core's value come from.

Best regards,
    Maks Kowalik

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      340 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T19:03:52Z  in response to MaksKowalik
      we never used more than 3 cores during the reporting period. I have opened a pmr and uploaded a back up of TLMA database for review.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        340 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T10:37:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi All,

I write this message more to the whole forum audience than to the Martin as he is already aware of this all.

The issue reported in this thread actually is very appropriate behavior, however indeed it might have misled the user. Moreover it touched different functionality than reported. Or even better said, specific Sub-Capacity Counting Rules that ILMT implements. To write the story short, PVU is calculated on server level not on particular virtualization level.

Explanation on simple example with simple virtualization:
        Imagine you have:
        8-core machine,
        and 1 core is counted for 100 PVU,
        and you have defined there 3 LPARS A, B and C,
        and you dedicated 4, 3 and 1 core to each LPAR accordingly,
        and you have installed MQ on second and third LPAR (B and C)
        in such situation the ILMT will calculate 400 PVU for MQ on this server and, what is the most important here, the ILMT will show 400 PVU in the row related to LPAR B and LPAR C. Why? Because PVU is calculated always on server level and ILMT does not show the minor calculation. ILMT shows just the result of arithmetic operation on, let me write it one more time, server level.

If you want to deepen your knowledge regarding this subject, please visit this page ILMT Deep Dive and get familiar with the materials inside Subcapacity section.
        Regards,
        Michał Klak
        ILMT Central Team

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
        Please contact product support if you need IBM's official advice.

If you want to extend your knowledge of ILMT, you may check this site:
        https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool
        Updated on 2013-01-22T10:37:59Z at 2013-01-22T10:37:59Z by SystemAdmin