10 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-08T21:51:36Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
24948 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic ClearQuest and Windows 8 remote desktop issue with the license

‏2013-01-07T17:16:26Z |
Hi All,

Has anyone has had license server issues with ClearQuest 7 on Windows 8. We have figured out it looks like remote desktoping into a Windows 8 system(over VPN, so your at home working). Then you come into work and try to use Clearquest will result in a license access error.

We figured out if your at your work and get the error. You can right click the Clearquest.exe then Run as administrator and it seems to fix the issue(not sure if its only a temporary solution).

Curious if there are other possible solutions anyone is aware of?

Doran.
Updated on 2013-01-08T21:51:36Z at 2013-01-08T21:51:36Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    24948 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ClearQuest and Windows 8 remote desktop issue with the license

‏2013-01-07T23:27:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    What license -- ClearQuest, Suite LifeCycle... -- do the users have access to?
  • cglockner
    cglockner
    345 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T12:40:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Doran,

If you're talking about Authorized User (or node-locked) licenses, then you may be running into this known problem: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21376635
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      24948 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T16:12:50Z  in response to cglockner
      Thanks for the link,

Very similar but I don't think its the same issue. We have floating licenses and the issue so far only exists with Windows 8 after you had connected from a Windows 7(via remote desktop to Windows 8). We have not tried Windows 8 to Windows 8 yet. But Windows Xp to Windows 8 is fine. I attached the simple message from the Java client.

My guess would be the floating license to computer information getting some how confused or not relase.

Thanks again for the feedback.
      Doran
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        24948 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T16:24:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        This is all for ClearQuest related.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        24948 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T16:25:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Also a Client side issue it seems.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    24948 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T16:27:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Wondering what type of floating licenses are available. Are they all ClearQuest floating licenses?

Also is it the same PC that the user uses at the office as remotely? -- ie) does that ID have the same access to that PC and was it the same ID that installed the software on the PC(s)?

We've had issues and and if I can understand your situation better I may be able to provide insight.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      24948 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T18:44:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      • They are permanent Rational ClearQuest.
      • All floating.
      • Sorry if this was not clear they are tunneling in from home to work, remote desktop within the corporation network seems fine.
      • Accesses the network with there own network ID. Are you saying/thinking the install of the ClearQuest client gives it an ID and then that ID is used with the license server.
      Any insight is great. As slowly people are getting picked off one by one.

Doran.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    24948 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T19:35:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I hope I don't misspeak. It's been a while since I had dealt with license issues but I'll give it a shot.

To me the clue is that it works when you 'run as admin'. I suspect that means that your normal ID that you're using doesn't have admin access or it wasn't the ID that was used to install CQ and the licensing software.

If I remember correctly what floating licenses a user has access to is found in the registry under:
    \hkey_current_user\software\rational software\licensing\8.0\suitemap2\clearquest:1.1

The Choices entry should list the order floating licenses will attempted to be accessed. By default starting with ClearQuest:1.1....

If that's the only floating license you have and that's the default for all current users then everyone should be fine but something is amiss.

What I have found is that once we migrated off XP our company locked down client PCs and users didn't have Admin rights to any PCs and thus the ID used to install Rational client software was not the ID to use the software things went screwy.

If normal users tried to update the license usage order via the license key administrator software they were forced to put in a different Admin ID (and not their own) and thus the Admin ID would update the wrong current user registry information.

I go through all this because it sounds like the ID that is remotely trying to log into CQ doesn't (according to the current user registry setting) have any CQ floating licenses available to him BUT the Admin ID (that you entered when you selected 'run as Administrator') does.

I could be all wrong in that when you're selecting Run as Admin it's not forcing you to enter another ID/password. But I'd start by looking at the registry information for licenses when it does work and when it doesn't.

I have more ideas if you give me more feedback.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      24948 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T21:19:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Great information on how this is working under the hood. The odds are its an ID issue with the license server. All was working for weeks/prior to the vpn. Maybe using vpn with remote desktop(on Windows 8) somehow affects this ID or confuses the server.

When you refer to changing your ID are you referring to your network/computer ID? or the license ID somehow?

Thanks for lending your knowledge Barb.
      Doran
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    24948 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T21:51:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    That's not exactly what I'm saying.

Each client has license key administration software which specifies what the 'current user' is going to access.

The 'What' being the license server name(s), a list of the specific rational software apps installed on that client, and the order it will look for available licenses for the specific apps on the specific server(s).

Since it's saying that there are no licenses available then something is not set correctly in the registry for the ID of the user that logged into that client PC. Depending on how your company operates that ID doesn't necessarily have to be the users VPN or Network ID.

Since you're sure that you're not running out of licenses, then the next point of contention is the client settings for where to look to get a license and the specific license it thinks it should get -- that being the order it looks for licenses, in your case for the CQ app.

The order part is very important because if the first license it's trying to grab (for CQ) doesn't exist as a license that you have available at all on your license server then it will not try to look at the second choice in the list (for CQ).

Here's the information for the choices value I'd mentioned before on my client:
    ClearQuest:1.1;RationalSuiteEnterprise:1.0;UnifyingPlatform:1.0;DevelopmentStudio:1.0;TestStudio:1.0;AnalystStudio:1.0;RoseRealTimeDevelopmentStudio:6.1;RLP:1.0;RLPwCC:1.0;

It will first look for CQ, then RationalSuiteEnterprise, then UnifyingPlatorm, and so on. The first time it doesn't find any licenses of that license type it will stop going down the list. Or at least that's the way I believe it works.

Since it's in the CurrentUser section of the PC's registry then theoretically that string could be different for each user that logs onto that machine. And if you run a command that will, as part of the command, try to access that data, using a different ID then I think that the currentuser information changes.

The company I work for has granted employees standard access to their PCs (not Administrative). As such, if we choose 'Run as Administrator' we are prompted to enter a different ID and password that has Admin access to the PC. If we don't have an ID/password that has admin access to that PC, then the command will fail.

Alternatively, it could be that your normal ID doesn't have access to where ever on that PC that string is kept but if you tell it to up your access (same ID) then you do.

You need to start by looking in the registry at that string value when it works and when it doesn't and verify that the string is exactly the same. Also please post the error message specifics that users are getting.