tech100
tech100
109 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DLPARing not working

‏2013-01-07T11:28:27Z |
I have:
  • HMC V7R7.4.0.1 with public IP in routed subnet A
  • HMC ports of servers some in subnet A and some in other routed subnet B (all needed firewalls are opened for HMC management communication of servers in subnet B -- are "connected" on lssysconn output and can even install VIO server from "nimol" via hmc).
  • some LPAR (AIX) IPs are in subnet A and some in subnet B (port 657 is allowed on firewalls beetween HMC IP and LPARs IP being in subnet B)
  • lspartition -dlpar returns nothing on HMC (no server/LPAR is seen DLPARable)
  • HMC status is OK (green)

But although all required ports are opened I always get below warning/error when I try to DLPAR from HMC:

"A RMC network connection to the partition is not present. Verify the network settings on the partition and the HMC. If you select OK you will have to restart the partition for the resource changes to take effect."

The problem exists also for servers with are configured in the same LAN HMC is.

restart of rsct_rm/rsct SRC subsystem group doesn't help.

I can locally telnet 657 on LPAR and 657 port on HMC from the LPAR.
Also, when I stop rsct* services on LPAR and start "sshd -p 657", then I can ssh access LPAR from HMC on port 657...

Servers microcode levels is up_to_date.

There are different AIX on LPARs (5.3, 6.1, 7.1).

None of tips described on https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/cgaix/entry/february_24_2011_6_51_pm79?lang=en helpded.

i thought /usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct should help but it doesn;t (I see ater it is run, rmc subsystems are restarted and /usr/sbin/rsct/bin/lsnodeid shows new noweid string...)

All the time "lssyscfg -r lpar -F name,rmc_state -m a_servername" shows for each listed LPAR rmc_state "none".
i there any known bug in HMC V7R7.4.0.1? or maybe the rsct services should also be reconfigured on HMC as well? if so, how to do it?
best retards.
Updated on 2013-03-03T08:22:57Z at 2013-03-03T08:22:57Z by tech100
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6907 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DLPARing not working

‏2013-01-08T04:40:37Z  in response to tech100
    have you tried this?

odmdelete -o CuAt -q "name='cluster0'" (Only run this on AIX or VIOS)
    /usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct
    /usr/sbin/rsct/bin/rmcctrl -p

let me know how you go.
    • tech100
      tech100
      109 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T16:39:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      is didn't helped.

DLPARing still doesn't work on my hmc V7R7.4.0.1
      I am going to upgrade HMC to V7R7.7.0.

HMC public IP is now in the same subnet LPAR's IP are in (so ten telnet RMC port and it is opened).
      FSP is reachable on private/internal HMC network 172.17.0.0/255.255.0.0, server is configured on HMC, is in connected state (lssysconn confirms) and can be powered off/on from the HMC. Only DLPARing is not working due to nonsense error:

"A RMC network connection to the partition is not present. Verify the network settings on the partition and the HMC. If you select OK you will have to restart the partition for the resource changes to take effect."

No tips on DLPARing check lists found in internet helped to solve this problem.

Can the HMC hardware be defect / not supporting anymore HMC DLPARing??

lshmc -v shows model:

*DS Hardware Management Console
      *TM eserver xSeries 336 -8837PBK-
      *MN IBM
      kind regards,.
      • dukessd
        dukessd
        345 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T21:59:36Z  in response to tech100
        Does the lshmc -v output for TM just show what you posted?
        It should show the <HMC machine type and model> after what you posted, not what looks like an x series serial number!
        Maybe it had a system board change and was not correctly reconfigured as an HMC.
        Maybe it is an x series 336 and not an HMC!

There is a lot more to dlpar than opening udp/tcp 657

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1011372
        http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1010615

HTH
        • tech100
          tech100
          109 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-28T10:53:54Z  in response to dukessd
          here is more info lshmc -v provides:

"vpd=*FC ????????
          *VC 20.0
          *N2 Thu Feb 28 08:45:53 GMT+00:00 2013
          *FC ????????
          *DS Hardware Management Console
          *TM eserver xSeries 336 -8837PBK-
          *SE KKXXXXX
          *MN IBM
          *PN Unknown
          *SZ xxxxxxxxxx
          *OS Embedded Operating Systems
          *NA xx.xx.xx.xx
          *FC ????????
          *DS Platform Firmware
          *RM V7R7.4.0.1

I found on IBM site that:
          8837 Model 22U is used for the 7310-CR3

originally there was running HMC 6.x later migrated to 7. using migration dvd medias. can this hardware does not support all features in hmc v7.x ? the migration proces went fine....

all commaned mentioend in your links I run many times on LPARs which have access to public HMC IP.
          FSP's ports (HMC1) are configured in private HMC network and seen with private IP on output of lsslssysconn -r all
          • tech100
            tech100
            109 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-03T08:22:57Z  in response to tech100
            there might be something wrong with the hmc hardware --- the model/serial number seen in bios and installed hmc software is different from that on original IBM's label sticked on the hardware... the label says correct s/n for hmc server and CR3 model of the HMC. I never validated s/n and model on label with that one in BIOS on delivered servers from ibm, maybe this was defect from the beginning.