• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-23T15:39:36Z by rtimothy
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2327 Posts

Pinned topic Using WL.JSONStore to synchronize across multiple devices

‏2013-01-04T15:24:52Z |
Hello,

I have a use case where I have a server-side database and multiple clients, where each would hold a copy of the database records (or a subset of them). On any of these devices I need to be able to add new documents to its local JSONStore, push those changes to the server, and then have the other devices pull the updates and refresh their local JSONStore. So it's a common push/pull sync scenario across multiple devices.

I have played with the JSONStore and my app can push documents entered on one device (A) and store in the database on the server side. That works just great.

But when I launch the app on a second device (B) and try to pull the database records none are loaded into B's JSONStore. If I create new entries on B I can push them to the server and they appear in the database. But A can not pull them into its JSONStore.

Does the JSONStore implement some kind of device id or filtering that causes my devices not to see each others database entries?
Is this a use case that is supposed to work work with the JSONStore, or was it not designed for cross-device updates?

I'll try to write a smaller test case and see if I can troubleshoot it further.

Thanks,
Henrik Sjöstrand
  • rtimothy
    rtimothy
    22 Posts

Re: Using WL.JSONStore to synchronize across multiple devices

‏2013-01-04T16:11:08Z  
    You are correct in that there isn't an "auto sync" feature in JSONStore, however there are mechanisms to implement exactly what you described. First off, how do you load data into the JSONStore? Are you using the load: true flag to initCollection? If so, there's a check in there that will not load data if there is already items in the store. You can do a couple of things to get the latest copy of the data, 1) drop all the records in the collection and simply reload with the latest data (fine if your dataset is small). 2) use the refresh command to replace items in the collection. For example, call you service and retrieve the updated records, then use JSONStore replace to update those records in JSONStore, replace has the semantics of not marking the record as needing push implying that it is a "fresh" copy from the server.
    --tim
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2013-01-04T17:51:47Z  
    • rtimothy
    • ‏2013-01-04T16:11:08Z
    You are correct in that there isn't an "auto sync" feature in JSONStore, however there are mechanisms to implement exactly what you described. First off, how do you load data into the JSONStore? Are you using the load: true flag to initCollection? If so, there's a check in there that will not load data if there is already items in the store. You can do a couple of things to get the latest copy of the data, 1) drop all the records in the collection and simply reload with the latest data (fine if your dataset is small). 2) use the refresh command to replace items in the collection. For example, call you service and retrieve the updated records, then use JSONStore replace to update those records in JSONStore, replace has the semantics of not marking the record as needing push implying that it is a "fresh" copy from the server.
    --tim
    Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using load:true so perhaps that's the catch. I'm also using an SQL adapter sitting on the serverside.

For option 1) to drop all records I assume the removeCollection API is the easiest, and then to do a new initCollection with the load:true flag?

Is there any mechanism in JSON Store which can automatically refresh the local store with data that has been updated on the server side, or does one have to keep track of updated objects serverside and call refresh on each individual document in the JSON store?

/Henrik Sjöstrand
  • rtimothy
    rtimothy
    22 Posts

‏2013-01-04T19:32:03Z  
    Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using load:true so perhaps that's the catch. I'm also using an SQL adapter sitting on the serverside.

For option 1) to drop all records I assume the removeCollection API is the easiest, and then to do a new initCollection with the load:true flag?

Is there any mechanism in JSON Store which can automatically refresh the local store with data that has been updated on the server side, or does one have to keep track of updated objects serverside and call refresh on each individual document in the JSON store?

/Henrik Sjöstrand
    > HenrikSjostrand wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using load:true so perhaps that's the catch. I'm also using an SQL adapter sitting on the serverside.
    >
    > For option 1) to drop all records I assume the removeCollection API is the easiest, and then to do a new initCollection with the load:true flag?

Yes.

>
    > Is there any mechanism in JSON Store which can automatically refresh the local store with data that has been updated on the server side, or does one have to keep track of updated objects serverside and call refresh on each individual document in the JSON store?
    >

Not currently.

> /Henrik Sjöstrand
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2013-01-23T07:19:27Z  
    • rtimothy
    • ‏2013-01-04T19:32:03Z
    > HenrikSjostrand wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using load:true so perhaps that's the catch. I'm also using an SQL adapter sitting on the serverside.
    >
    > For option 1) to drop all records I assume the removeCollection API is the easiest, and then to do a new initCollection with the load:true flag?

Yes.

>
    > Is there any mechanism in JSON Store which can automatically refresh the local store with data that has been updated on the server side, or does one have to keep track of updated objects serverside and call refresh on each individual document in the JSON store?
    >

Not currently.

> /Henrik Sjöstrand
    rtimothy
    If we remove the local JsonStore and reload it again to get the fresh data from backend then
    we have to compromise our local changes on JsonStore which we wanted to be reflected to the
    backend along with the fresh data set. What do you suggest to handle this situation?

What I am trying to say is suppose we retrieved a data set from backend and saved it in JsonStore,
    now I am updatind/adding some record to the JsonStore and like to push this to the backend system
    but at the same time some one updated the backend data system. So when I try to push my JsonStore records
    to the backend at will get a conflict , if I try to get the fresh record then I have to drop my changes.
    How this conflict of data transaction can be solved while using JsonStore? Can we set any priority like
    when device is trying to update data to backend then immediate data transaction on backend data system will be
    rolled back ?
  • rtimothy
    rtimothy
    22 Posts

‏2013-01-23T15:39:36Z  
    rtimothy
    If we remove the local JsonStore and reload it again to get the fresh data from backend then
    we have to compromise our local changes on JsonStore which we wanted to be reflected to the
    backend along with the fresh data set. What do you suggest to handle this situation?

What I am trying to say is suppose we retrieved a data set from backend and saved it in JsonStore,
    now I am updatind/adding some record to the JsonStore and like to push this to the backend system
    but at the same time some one updated the backend data system. So when I try to push my JsonStore records
    to the backend at will get a conflict , if I try to get the fresh record then I have to drop my changes.
    How this conflict of data transaction can be solved while using JsonStore? Can we set any priority like
    when device is trying to update data to backend then immediate data transaction on backend data system will be
    rolled back ?
    The way to handle this situation would be to create a procedure on the client to handle the resolution of changes. Take the following scenario for example:
    1) Client loads data from the server into JSONStore (everything is in sync)
    2) Client updates data in the JSONStore (client is now out of sync with server)
    3) Something changes on the server (client and server both have changes)
    4) On the client, grab the data from the server using the WL.invokeProcedure API (this is what JSONStore does under the covers) to get the new data from the server.
    5) For each record you get back from the server, check if the record has been modified in JSONStore ( isPushRequired() ), if it has not been modified locally use the refresh() method to update the local copy. If it has been modified locally, you will need to figure out how to resolve the conflict ( present a UI to the user, take the server one, take the local one etc) and then use either the replace() or refresh() call on the client to update the JSONStore accordingly.