Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-07T13:50:37Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
102 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic non parametric test on groups with sub-groups of data

‏2013-01-04T14:08:31Z |
I am trying to proceed with non-parametric tests on SPSS with all my collected data.
I have approximately three groups of six sub-groups and I am trying to calculate the signaficativity of these tests (Whitney...)for all my data.
My problem consists in attributing to every sub-group a value in my working sheet that will specify it belongs to one of the three groups.
I looked for a solution in manuals, web helpers and in my surrounding (I am working in a laboratory) but nothing for the moment.

Thank you in advance to all the IBM community...

J
Updated on 2013-01-07T13:50:37Z at 2013-01-07T13:50:37Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: non parametric test on groups with sub-groups of data

‏2013-01-04T14:12:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Please describe your data in more detail. A small extract that shows what you want to do would be helpful.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      102 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-07T13:50:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      M. Peck,

my data is a combination of related performance and time measured in ms retrieved from several protocols. These protocols constitute our groups and each protocol is divided into sessions that we can eventually bin but which constitute our sub-groups ultimately.

these are the general lines that sketch my data.

Thank you in advance.
      J
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-04T14:37:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    As Jon said please describe you data in more detail.
    What are your independent and dependent variables? How are they measured?

Are the same 6 subgroups in each of the three groups? What are the groups and subgroups?

Why do you feel you need to use non-parmetrics?
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      102 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-04T18:02:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      First thank you for your responses.

All my data is from a behavioral experiment.

It involves different parameters : time, performance, and conditions of experiment.

We have three major groups of data respectively with three different conditions for the same parameter (here is frequency) . Inside each group we decomposed the experiment in six sessions.

My question is about the interdependency of all six sessions but the independence between the three groups.

Accordingly to literature these non-parametric tests are commonly used to evaluate the samples.

Either we can merge data from two groups and form two independent samples which according to my manual will allow me to apply either the independent sample t-test or the Mann-Whitney U

In order to test my sessions (supposing they're dependent) I would like to use the within-subjects ANOVA (Post hoc test : Tukey's HSD)

and then analyse globally my data for the three independent samples (groups) and use between-subjects ANOVA (Post hoc test: protected t-test).

Correct Incorrect
      Ses1 Ses2 Ses3 Ses4 TO Ses5 TO Ses6 Ses1 Ses2 Ses3 Ses4 TO Ses5 TO Ses6
      839,78 631,17 720,67 972,30 918,13 848,89 1390,89 1025,11 879,86 1030,47 1262,11 1248,40

this is only an example of the data we are manipulating with several software.

Thank you.

J