• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-07T11:58:47Z by mcobbett
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
938 Posts

Pinned topic Development and Test Environment Launching Error

‏2013-01-03T11:54:05Z | mdm-migration
Hi,

I managed to Install MDM 10, on RSA 8.0.3 installed on Linux RedHat Enterprise 5, and also successfully integrated the IBM MDM Workbench into the installation.

When I try to do File > New > Other and select 'Development and Test Environment' i get a failure. On the screen the error message is as follows (i need to mention, i do not get any errors in Windows, its only in LINUX that i get this problem)

The selected wizard could not be started.
Plug-in "com.ibm.mdm.config.external.automation" was unable to instantiate class "com.ibm.mdm.config.external.automation.actions.MDMAutomationImportWizard".
java.lang.NullPointerException

In the Log Files when i Check i get the following error.

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "cmd": java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: null/MDMDevEnvTooling/mdmplugin.properties (No such file or directory)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)

Has anyone ever faced an issue like this before? I am totally stuck :)

Firoze
  • David_Radley
    David_Radley
    22 Posts

Re: Development and Test Environment Launching Error

‏2013-01-03T12:12:31Z  
    Hi,
    I did not think that DEST was supported on Linux, though I have not been able to find this documented.

It looks like it is trying to run a windows command line "cmd" which does not exist on Linux. I notice on my windows system in directory C:\Program Files (x86)\ibm\SDP\plugins\MDMDevEnvTooling\controller I have a number of .bat files. I wonder if you have these same bat files on your system, which it is trying to run or do you hvae some other file type that Linux could run.

On Linux you can install the full MDM Server but not the tooling. On windows you can install the tooling but not the full version,
    I hope this helps, David.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    938 Posts

‏2013-01-04T05:14:25Z  
    Hi,
    I did not think that DEST was supported on Linux, though I have not been able to find this documented.

It looks like it is trying to run a windows command line "cmd" which does not exist on Linux. I notice on my windows system in directory C:\Program Files (x86)\ibm\SDP\plugins\MDMDevEnvTooling\controller I have a number of .bat files. I wonder if you have these same bat files on your system, which it is trying to run or do you hvae some other file type that Linux could run.

On Linux you can install the full MDM Server but not the tooling. On windows you can install the tooling but not the full version,
    I hope this helps, David.
    David,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply.

Your right, i managed to install MDM Server successfully on Linux without any hiccups, all looks good, we wanted to take it a step further to see if we could move away from Windows, and move the development team onto linux.

As you suggested, I checked under the */SDP/plugins folder and I dont find any folder called \MDMDevEnvTooling\controller :(

I guess we will have to stick to Windows for development, just a question, do you think its worthwhile raising a PMR with IBM to see if they have any Linux support for the workbench?

Thanks

Firoze
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    938 Posts

‏2013-01-07T11:50:18Z  
    David,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply.

Your right, i managed to install MDM Server successfully on Linux without any hiccups, all looks good, we wanted to take it a step further to see if we could move away from Windows, and move the development team onto linux.

As you suggested, I checked under the */SDP/plugins folder and I dont find any folder called \MDMDevEnvTooling\controller :(

I guess we will have to stick to Windows for development, just a question, do you think its worthwhile raising a PMR with IBM to see if they have any Linux support for the workbench?

Thanks

Firoze
    Linux is definitely not a supported platform for developing using the MDM Workbench. Do please raise a requirement if you require Linux support in the future.

Thanks, James
  • mcobbett
    mcobbett
    10 Posts

‏2013-01-07T11:58:47Z  
    In terms of linux support for the workbench, we are already aware that some folks have asked for it, or would find it useful.
    Raising a PMR won't achieve a great deal, as linux isn't supported by the workbench, so any PMR will be returned working-as-designed.

Going through your IBM rep, MDM product manager, or lab advocate (if you have one) may be a better approach...
    Ideally explaining the benefit to your team of switching to all-linux development, the importance of why MDM should support it ...etc.
    That may bump the priority of this feature request up, or at least make sure it's not forgotten.

-Mike