Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-18T16:44:28Z by sumithar
sumithar
sumithar
30 Posts

Pinned topic Explain all statements in a package

‏2013-01-02T22:01:14Z |
With Visual explain I had the option of inputting an entire package or DBRM to the tool and it would list each sql statement in it and I could pick which one I wanted to explain.

I have DS 3.2 installed and am able to explain a statement I type into/paste into the script window but don't know how to input a package/DBRM.

how do I do this?

Thanks!
Updated on 2013-01-18T16:44:28Z at 2013-01-18T16:44:28Z by sumithar
  • zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    44 Posts

Re: Explain all statements in a package

‏2013-01-04T05:49:57Z  
    Here is the sample steps:
    right click on your database in the Data Source Explorer view and choose "Analyze and Tune"->"Start tuning...", in the opened window, click the "2.CAPTURE" tab, and choose "Catalog Plan and Package" under the DB2 for z/OS Sources, then new a filter with your packages or DBRM, then click the "capture" button.

If you want to do this, you should make sure you have configured your databases for using such function. You can check the configure status by right click on your database in the Data Source Explorer view and choose "Analyze and Tune"->"Configure for tuning" and bind the necessary packages and create the needed tables.
  • zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    44 Posts

‏2013-01-04T06:46:49Z  
    One clarification about capturing sqls from DBRM. What I just said in the above steps is not refer to the direct DBRM files, you should bind the DBRM files to db2 catalog packages or plans firstly, then can use my above steps to capture out the statements.
  • sumithar
    sumithar
    30 Posts

‏2013-01-04T13:38:00Z  
    • zhaoguob
    • ‏2013-01-04T05:49:57Z
    Here is the sample steps:
    right click on your database in the Data Source Explorer view and choose "Analyze and Tune"->"Start tuning...", in the opened window, click the "2.CAPTURE" tab, and choose "Catalog Plan and Package" under the DB2 for z/OS Sources, then new a filter with your packages or DBRM, then click the "capture" button.

If you want to do this, you should make sure you have configured your databases for using such function. You can check the configure status by right click on your database in the Data Source Explorer view and choose "Analyze and Tune"->"Configure for tuning" and bind the necessary packages and create the needed tables.
    Hi,
    I was trying to do the steps to configure database for tuning a few weeks back but I was told that tuning is a paid feature and I need Infosphere on the mainframe to be able to to do tuning so I gave up.

Does this apply to the steps you have listed as well, i.e. do I need to have Infosphere?

Thanks!
  • zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    44 Posts

‏2013-01-16T04:17:54Z  
    • sumithar
    • ‏2013-01-04T13:38:00Z
    Hi,
    I was trying to do the steps to configure database for tuning a few weeks back but I was told that tuning is a paid feature and I need Infosphere on the mainframe to be able to to do tuning so I gave up.

Does this apply to the steps you have listed as well, i.e. do I need to have Infosphere?

Thanks!
    No, you do not need Infosphere on the mainframe. And DS 3.2 have some free tuning functions, and you can have a try.
  • sumithar
    sumithar
    30 Posts

‏2013-01-16T22:33:59Z  
    • zhaoguob
    • ‏2013-01-16T04:17:54Z
    No, you do not need Infosphere on the mainframe. And DS 3.2 have some free tuning functions, and you can have a try.
    I tried and got to a point where I could actually select an entire package. But then ran into problems with tables being in the wrong format and the tool, despite claims to the contrary, wouldn't build me the tables in the right format.
    This is way too much of a hassle.

Thanks for trying to help.
  • zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    44 Posts

‏2013-01-17T08:49:24Z  
    • sumithar
    • ‏2013-01-16T22:33:59Z
    I tried and got to a point where I could actually select an entire package. But then ran into problems with tables being in the wrong format and the tool, despite claims to the contrary, wouldn't build me the tables in the right format.
    This is way too much of a hassle.

Thanks for trying to help.
    Glad to see you have made some progress. For the wrong format tables, pls try to use our DS3.2 and go to "Analyze and Tune"->"Configure for tuning" to resolve them. If it doesn't work, maybe you can try to drop the wrong format tables(if you do not care about the data in the wrong format table) and use DS3.2 and go to "Analyze and Tune"->"Configure for tuning" to create them.
  • sumithar
    sumithar
    30 Posts

‏2013-01-18T16:44:28Z  
    • zhaoguob
    • ‏2013-01-17T08:49:24Z
    Glad to see you have made some progress. For the wrong format tables, pls try to use our DS3.2 and go to "Analyze and Tune"->"Configure for tuning" to resolve them. If it doesn't work, maybe you can try to drop the wrong format tables(if you do not care about the data in the wrong format table) and use DS3.2 and go to "Analyze and Tune"->"Configure for tuning" to create them.
    There is an option to "migrate" but I didn't get far with it. Dropping the tables made the difference. Now I can explain statements in a package.
    Thank you.