Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-31T16:14:54Z by SystemAdmin
scott@parker
scott@parker
2 Posts

Pinned topic Ruby on AIX

‏2013-01-02T16:03:09Z |
I would like to know if anybody has compiled Ruby on AIX 6.1? I am having issues and am wondering if anybody has done the footwork, as I really don't have the time to spend on this endeavor.
Updated on 2013-01-31T16:14:54Z at 2013-01-31T16:14:54Z by SystemAdmin
  • flodstrom
    flodstrom
    115 Posts

Re: Ruby on AIX

‏2013-01-10T12:50:30Z  
    I had a look at Ruby some time ago, but I gave up in the end.

I don't know where you got stuck, but I decided to stop at a part of the code that was made up by a maze of C macros. Just didn't have the time or eager to wade through all those macros.

If you really need Ruby on AIX then I would advice to try it with gcc since it seem to be more tolerant towards most kinds of spagetti code.
  • scott@parker
    scott@parker
    2 Posts

‏2013-01-10T13:01:17Z  
    That is exactly what I have been trying. There was a point where the compile was trying to create temporary files in directories that didn't exist yet, so at every stop there, I created the directory manually and moved on. Hit a wall after that. I have since gave the opinion of the project being unable to continue on AIX, which now we are moving to Linux.

Thank you for the response.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6902 Posts

‏2013-01-10T16:29:35Z  
    That is exactly what I have been trying. There was a point where the compile was trying to create temporary files in directories that didn't exist yet, so at every stop there, I created the directory manually and moved on. Hit a wall after that. I have since gave the opinion of the project being unable to continue on AIX, which now we are moving to Linux.

Thank you for the response.
    I've asked out Linux Toolbox people about it but haven't gotten a response yet.

There is a older level of Ruby available on the Bull site at http://gnome.bullfreeware.com/aixtoolbox/RPMS/ppc/ruby/

Apparently we were having some problems building the later version as well. I'll post when I get a response from Development.

Jay
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6902 Posts

‏2013-01-31T16:14:54Z  
    I've asked out Linux Toolbox people about it but haven't gotten a response yet.

There is a older level of Ruby available on the Bull site at http://gnome.bullfreeware.com/aixtoolbox/RPMS/ppc/ruby/

Apparently we were having some problems building the later version as well. I'll post when I get a response from Development.

Jay
    We have succeded in building ruby version 1.9.3.

In order to build it:
    + we are using xlc version 10
    + pkg-config rpm MUST NOT be installed on the system where rpm is built
    + we are using the following configure options :
    ./configure \
    --host=%{buildhost} --target=%{buildhost} --build=%{buildhost} \
    --prefix=%{_prefix} \
    --enable-pthread \
    --enable-shared
    + we are using a "ulimit -d unlimited" before running make test.
    The rpm package is published under:
    http://www.bullfreeware.com