• 17 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-11T08:17:19Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1250 Posts

Pinned topic sample orchestration.

‏2013-01-02T11:32:18Z |
Hi ,

I am new to orchestration. I want to know how to create , deploy and maintain an orchestration.
Can anyone provide me a sample orchestration so that I can start developing orchestrations.

Thank you.
Updated on 2013-01-11T08:17:19Z at 2013-01-11T08:17:19Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

Re: sample orchestration.

‏2013-01-04T06:10:04Z  
    Hi i am also new to this technology... i am trying to connect Microsoft SQL with cast iron studio but it is giving error(JDBC driver)Can any one help me to resolve this issue?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-04T09:12:11Z  
    Hi i am also new to this technology... i am trying to connect Microsoft SQL with cast iron studio but it is giving error(JDBC driver)Can any one help me to resolve this issue?
    Hi,
    In order to get started with Cast Iron, you may:

Regards,
    Magali
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-04T14:49:41Z  
    In what scenario are you getting a SQL Server error--when clicking "Test Connection" in the endpoint config, or in a database activity such as Execute Query? Is there more detail in the error message beyond "JDBC driver"?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-08T05:30:18Z  
    In what scenario are you getting a SQL Server error--when clicking "Test Connection" in the endpoint config, or in a database activity such as Execute Query? Is there more detail in the error message beyond "JDBC driver"?
    Hello Paul
    Thanks for your reply.
    when clicking test connection i am getting following error:

Unable to Connect: CastIron SystemsSQLServer JDBC DriverError establishing socket to host and port: 10.10.13.167:1433. Reason: Connection refused: connect

i think this error is due to absence of connectors. There are no connector in TOOLS->Install Module providers-> Database connector(browse connector repository). I tried to download sqljdbc4.jar and sqljdbc.jar(for SQL database) but getting same error.
    do i need to download connector for Studio? if yes then do you know downloadable site for this.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-08T09:40:06Z  
    Hello Paul
    Thanks for your reply.

Unable to Connect: CastIron SystemsSQLServer JDBC DriverError establishing socket to host and port: 10.10.13.167:1433. Reason: Connection refused: connect

i think this error is due to absence of connectors. There are no connector in TOOLS->Install Module providers-> Database connector(browse connector repository). I tried to download sqljdbc4.jar and sqljdbc.jar(for SQL database) but getting same error.
    do i need to download connector for Studio? if yes then do you know downloadable site for this.
    Hi,
    So you did not install any JDBC driver for connecting to SQLServer? You should get a Type4 JDBC driver, as mentioned here http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wci/v6r1m0/topic/com.ibm.websphere.cast_iron.doc/db_creating_editing_a_database_activity_endpoint.html
    Maybe this one would fit your needs? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/aa937724.aspx

Regards,
    Magali
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-08T10:18:01Z  
    Hi,
    So you did not install any JDBC driver for connecting to SQLServer? You should get a Type4 JDBC driver, as mentioned here http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wci/v6r1m0/topic/com.ibm.websphere.cast_iron.doc/db_creating_editing_a_database_activity_endpoint.html
    Maybe this one would fit your needs? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/aa937724.aspx

Regards,
    Magali
    Thanks Magali, from last 5/6 days i was working on same issue but no luck.
    Due to your help i Successfully able to connect database to my Studio.also i need to connect different end points to studio, so do you know from where i can download connectors for different end points..Thanks again .....
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-08T10:51:03Z  
    Thanks Magali, from last 5/6 days i was working on same issue but no luck.
    Due to your help i Successfully able to connect database to my Studio.also i need to connect different end points to studio, so do you know from where i can download connectors for different end points..Thanks again .....
    Which connector do you need? Each application requires different libs. For instance, SAP requires these libs http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wci/v6r1m0/topic/com.ibm.websphere.cast_iron.doc/Downloading_and_Installing_the_SAP_Jar_File_and_DLLs.html
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-08T13:11:26Z  
    Hi,

Regards,
    Magali
    Magali,

I am just curious. Is this geography-related? I have used Studio for over 7 years and I have never had to install JDBC drivers for MS SQL Server. I have only had to install drivers when using MySQL and Derby (when using a non-appliance instance). The help link that your referenced indicated that add-on modules are needed "If you select the Generic JDBC driver or MySQL".
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-08T13:49:37Z  
    Magali,

I am just curious. Is this geography-related? I have used Studio for over 7 years and I have never had to install JDBC drivers for MS SQL Server. I have only had to install drivers when using MySQL and Derby (when using a non-appliance instance). The help link that your referenced indicated that add-on modules are needed "If you select the Generic JDBC driver or MySQL".
    No it's not geographic related. IBM used to ship Studio with the MySQL driver until release 6.1 if I remember correctly, but not anymore.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-08T13:56:53Z  
    No it's not geographic related. IBM used to ship Studio with the MySQL driver until release 6.1 if I remember correctly, but not anymore.
    I thought his issue was with "Microsoft SQL" not MySQL. I think the built-in MySQL driver was dropped before the IBM releases.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-08T14:46:05Z  
    Hello Paul
    Thanks for your reply.

Based on the error, it appears it is an attempt to access SQL Server and not MySQL. I don't recall ever having to install any JDBC connectors to get connectivity to SQL Server either.

The error sounds more like it's at the network level. Some things you can check:

1) Is the SQL Server instance you are trying to connect to running on the default 1433 port or a different one (it may be on a different one in your case)?
    2) Have you attempted to login to that instance from your machine using the SQL Server Management Studio client with the same connection settings you are using from CI Studio?
    3) Is SQL Server configured to accept remote connections (assuming this SQL Server instance is not local to your machine)?
    4) Do you need to be logged into a VPN to access the database server? Or are you going through a network device that is blocking traffic to that port?

Hope this helps.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-10T04:34:37Z  
    Based on the error, it appears it is an attempt to access SQL Server and not MySQL. I don't recall ever having to install any JDBC connectors to get connectivity to SQL Server either.

The error sounds more like it's at the network level. Some things you can check:

1) Is the SQL Server instance you are trying to connect to running on the default 1433 port or a different one (it may be on a different one in your case)?
    2) Have you attempted to login to that instance from your machine using the SQL Server Management Studio client with the same connection settings you are using from CI Studio?
    3) Is SQL Server configured to accept remote connections (assuming this SQL Server instance is not local to your machine)?
    4) Do you need to be logged into a VPN to access the database server? Or are you going through a network device that is blocking traffic to that port?

Hope this helps.
    Hello Paul,
    i think error was due to "Missing connectors". But Magali provide me connector(Microsoft JDBC Driver 4.0 for SQL Server) and after adding this to connector-repository, SQL database successfully added to CI Studio.
    1)my default port is 1433.
    2) i installed CI studio on one Virtual machine having Firewall DISABLE. and SQL database on different Virtual machine.(in this case,SQL database successfully added to CI Studio )
    3) If i try to connect CI studio with Firewall ENABLE to SQL database then i am getting following Error:
    Unable to Connect: CastIron SystemsSQLServer JDBC DriverLogin has timed out.

in this case do i need to check (ENDpoint RUN behind firewall)??
    also i dont know Secure connector Name? do i need to create Secure connector or Firewall team in my company will provide me?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-10T04:54:49Z  
    Which connector do you need? Each application requires different libs. For instance, SAP requires these libs http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wci/v6r1m0/topic/com.ibm.websphere.cast_iron.doc/Downloading_and_Installing_the_SAP_Jar_File_and_DLLs.html
    Hello Magali,
    I need JDE,JMS,MQ People Soft,Siebel Connectors but i think i can get that information in document which is provided by You.Thanks for your help.
    If i need any help then i will defiantly contact you.
    It will be very helpful if you know some readily available Orchestration templates
    (examples having step by step flow,like
    1) which startup/pick activity for database/or other systems like HTTP/FTP
    2) how to collect information from that
    3) where to send that information )
    and this i can deploy in my test environment.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-10T09:22:43Z  
    Hello Paul,
    i think error was due to "Missing connectors". But Magali provide me connector(Microsoft JDBC Driver 4.0 for SQL Server) and after adding this to connector-repository, SQL database successfully added to CI Studio.
    2) i installed CI studio on one Virtual machine having Firewall DISABLE. and SQL database on different Virtual machine.(in this case,SQL database successfully added to CI Studio )
    3) If i try to connect CI studio with Firewall ENABLE to SQL database then i am getting following Error:

also i dont know Secure connector Name? do i need to create Secure connector or Firewall team in my company will provide me?
    Hi,
    Regarding your questions around firewall and secure connector, it is important to understand that Cast Iron is not a security component.
    Which Cast Iron form factor are you using? In other works, where is your Cast Iron server?
    If you are using Cast Iron hypervisor Edition or appliance edition, then it is running in your secured zone (not DMZ).
    If you are running Cast Iron Live, then I advise you to use the Cast Iron secure connector which will be deployed in your DMZ (and depending on the type of protocol you'll be using, you could also leverage your company's DMZ Security gateway).

So to get back to your initial question. It seems that your host firewall is blocking Studio outside communications. In your FW configuration, you may want to allow Studio to connect outside your host.

Finally, did you contact your IBM Sales rep in order to get the Cast Iron POT schedule? This way you'll get orchestrations samples during the POT.

Regards,
    Magali
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-10T11:53:40Z  
    Hi,
    Regarding your questions around firewall and secure connector, it is important to understand that Cast Iron is not a security component.
    Which Cast Iron form factor are you using? In other works, where is your Cast Iron server?
    If you are using Cast Iron hypervisor Edition or appliance edition, then it is running in your secured zone (not DMZ).
    If you are running Cast Iron Live, then I advise you to use the Cast Iron secure connector which will be deployed in your DMZ (and depending on the type of protocol you'll be using, you could also leverage your company's DMZ Security gateway).

So to get back to your initial question. It seems that your host firewall is blocking Studio outside communications. In your FW configuration, you may want to allow Studio to connect outside your host.

Finally, did you contact your IBM Sales rep in order to get the Cast Iron POT schedule? This way you'll get orchestrations samples during the POT.

Regards,
    Magali
    Hi magali,
    I am using cast iron Studio 6.1.0.9. also Cast Iron hypervisor Edition(6.1.0.9) is running in secured zone. We are planning to take training from IBM but i think it will take time to process meanwhile i am doing some R&D.
    i stuck in one more issue while connecting FTP as end point.I am getting following error:
    Unable to connect to the endpoint. Please check the endpoint's information and try again.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-10T15:33:50Z  
    Hello Paul,

Hi,

As Magali points out, it still sounds like something is blocking traffic. For starters, check your VM firewall settings (in both VMs) to see if they allow traffic over port 1433 when the VM firewalls are turned on.

I'm still curious as to why you had to manually install an MS JDBC driver to access a Microsoft SQL Server endpoint (I can see why for MySQL, but not for the Microsoft product). I thought maybe it was because I've always had the SQL Server client installed, but I just confirmed even without that I can still hit a database without error (on Windows 7 using Studio 6.1.0.9, FWIW). Perhaps it's because I had the Java 6 runtime files installed which the built-in CI SQL Server connector may need...?

-Paul
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1250 Posts

‏2013-01-11T08:17:19Z  
    Hi,

As Magali points out, it still sounds like something is blocking traffic. For starters, check your VM firewall settings (in both VMs) to see if they allow traffic over port 1433 when the VM firewalls are turned on.

I'm still curious as to why you had to manually install an MS JDBC driver to access a Microsoft SQL Server endpoint (I can see why for MySQL, but not for the Microsoft product). I thought maybe it was because I've always had the SQL Server client installed, but I just confirmed even without that I can still hit a database without error (on Windows 7 using Studio 6.1.0.9, FWIW). Perhaps it's because I had the Java 6 runtime files installed which the built-in CI SQL Server connector may need...?

-Paul
    Hi,
    For sample orchestrations, you may have a look at the different Cast Iron DeveloperWorks articles: most of them provide sample code and the how to build the orchestrations http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/views/websphere/libraryview.jsp?site_id=1&contentarea_by=WebSphere&sort_by=Date&sort_order=2&start=1&end=9&topic_by=-1&product_by=-1&type_by=All%20Types&show_abstract=true&search_by=cast%20iron&industry_by=-1&series_title_by=
    Hope this will help you.
    Regards,
    Magali