Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-27T15:42:50Z by nivanov1
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5837 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Create a database on a network drive

‏2012-12-24T14:47:14Z |
Hello DB2 experts
Is it possible to install in a windows environment the database programs 10.1 on the drive C: but having the database (i.e. the data) on a network drive? The network drive could be a NAS or a Windows share (UNC path) on a different server. The goal would be, to have a lean DB VM with just the database server, where no data is stored.
Is such a szenario advisable?
What about performance, when the data is not stored on C:? Too slow?
Or is it better to have it on the local disk and just copy the daily backup and log files to a NAS?
I assume that the db2 services must have access rights to the UNC path.

Regards
Pijus
Updated on 2012-12-27T15:42:50Z at 2012-12-27T15:42:50Z by nivanov1
  • J3RK_Kurtis_Knisely
    J3RK_Kurtis_Knisely
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Create a database on a network drive

‏2012-12-27T03:56:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Sure, why not? Will it be fast? Probably not (not local DB SSD speeds), but could be fine for many situations.
    As usual, it depends upon the sizes of your DBs, how many users/customers are hitting your db, how complicated your queries are, how much of all this can be cached and how much money you have to blow on hardware. Do you have a decent NAS box (RAID)? Gigabit ethernet? Jumbo Frames? NAS would probably be fine for Development and Test Environments (and small/medium scale Production Environments).

Otherwise for Production systems with lots of transactions/users/complex queries, look up Storage Area Networks (SANs), but they're pricey (and uber fast + provide good management options for Sys Admins).
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246538.html

I'm sure there are many others out there who can help you with more information for your Windows Env. NAS DB questions. Might want to try posting on other more heavily read forums?
  • nivanov1
    nivanov1
    53 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Create a database on a network drive

‏2012-12-27T15:42:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    > Is it possible to install in a windows environment the database programs 10.1 on the drive C:
    > but having the database (i.e. the data) on a network drive?

It is theoretically possible, but not recommended for a number of reasons, and is only supported with a limited number of NAS devices. Check the discussion of the CREATE TABLESPACE statement in the manual for details.