Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-25T00:30:55Z by greatwall-cloud
greatwall-cloud
greatwall-cloud
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to implement a VM in SCP2.1

‏2012-12-23T10:10:45Z |
Hi,i have installed a SCP2.1 on my test enviroment(1 pxe node,2 storage node,1 computenode)
i don't know how to implement a VM in SCP2.1(It's not like SCP1.2).

i try login Webconsole, The System told me "STEP1....STEP2....STEP3".

how to create a virtual system pattern in webconsole ?

(I just install the SCP2.1,not setup anything)
Updated on 2012-12-25T00:30:55Z at 2012-12-25T00:30:55Z by greatwall-cloud
  • rossdavibm
    rossdavibm
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to implement a VM in SCP2.1

‏2012-12-23T23:12:15Z  in response to greatwall-cloud
    I take it you are wanting to launch an instance of a master image into your cloud.

You now have to get a master image into the entire ecosystem. Assuming you have registered your HSLT cloud provider with virtual image library, it sounds harder than it is:

1) Create a master image (just like in 1.2)
    2) Copy the master image to both storage nodes (it goes in the same place as in 1.2: /iaas/iaas-store/files)
    3) Register the image. You can use the CLI just like in 1.2 (iaas-register-image) or the admconsole GUI.

This will start the 'merry-go-round'. VIL will 'see' the new master image and perform a basic index. After a successful index occurs, you can proceed.

4) Register the image to SCP. (Catalog > Virtual Images).

Finally, you can launch the instance. There are more pieces and a more involved process than before, but the flexibility and power of using patterns & such is worth it, in my opinion.
    • greatwall-cloud
      greatwall-cloud
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-24T11:42:48Z  in response to rossdavibm
      i register the master image on admconsole,but i didn't know how to check it:
      "This will start the 'merry-go-round'. VIL will 'see' the new master image and perform a basic index. After a successful index occurs, you can proceed."

i see the my linux image in admconsole,the virtual image library cannot find image.
      • rossdavibm
        rossdavibm
        25 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-24T15:41:07Z  in response to greatwall-cloud
        Sounds like you have some configuration issues.

In all this, check against the documentation, they've done a nice job of rounding it out & getting things accurate. http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v48r1/index.jsp

First, I always run the iaas-describe-nodes command (or check in the admconsole GUI); If your HSLT environment does not see the storage and compute nodes, then there is nothing for SCP or VIL to connect into, so all bets are off. If this command is not responding right, I would use the kersrv.sh command, under /data/repos/isaac/deploy-scripts/ , to stop & start all kernel service processes (kersrv.sh stop all; kersrv.sh start all)

Once things are up for HSLT, log in to the SCP console and look at Cloud > Hypervisors. You should see the compute node (hslt1) and it should be running. If not, click on maintenance mode, then start. Again, no hypervisor and you are dead in the water.

Then go to Cloud > Cloug Groups. You should have the default HSLT cloud group, and it needs to be 'connected'. THere are some icons in the upper right panel. You need to register SCP to VIL. This sets up the integrations between all the major components (VIL / HSLT / SCP). If your SCP has the hypervisor and cloud group set up, then after registration, VIL will scan the storage nodes of HSLT regularly, looking for new master images. Once found, they are indexed. Once indexed, they can be registered to SCP as a virtual image and away you go (the merry go round works: image registered to HSLT is indexed by VIL and registered to SCP).

For the record, I've installed SCP 2.1 numerous times (not counting, but easily at least 30 times) going back to early development beta drops, etc. Using defaults, I've almost never had problems with a standard basic installation, other than maybe a couple of times very early in the development cycle last summer.

I've got a working environment with no problems at every installation for several months now, so it's got to be something pretty simple that's in your way.
  • greatwall-cloud
    greatwall-cloud
    10 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-25T00:30:55Z  in response to greatwall-cloud
    Thanks for you help me.
    I don't know configuration HSLT register to VIL.
    It's work.