Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-21T17:56:04Z by S_Rolando_CSC
S_Rolando_CSC
S_Rolando_CSC
8 Posts

Pinned topic Digit Select character being inserted into Physical Files

‏2012-12-20T16:02:15Z |
I been finding an excessive number of insertions of the EBCDIC character X'20' (Digit Select) in many of my physical files. I can't quite figure out where they are coming from. I suspect it is an ASCII to EBCDIC transalation issue that is turning a particular key stroke or character into this undisplayable character. Has anyone encountered this?
Updated on 2012-12-21T17:56:04Z at 2012-12-21T17:56:04Z by S_Rolando_CSC
  • B.Hauser
    B.Hauser
    264 Posts

Re: Digit Select character being inserted into Physical Files

‏2012-12-21T06:21:33Z  
    Is it possible, this x'20' value must be converted into the € (Euro) Currency Character?

Birgitta
  • S_Rolando_CSC
    S_Rolando_CSC
    8 Posts

‏2012-12-21T17:43:33Z  
    • B.Hauser
    • ‏2012-12-21T06:21:33Z
    Is it possible, this x'20' value must be converted into the € (Euro) Currency Character?

Birgitta
    The occurances of the DS char almost always appears in the penultimate position of a character string. It is appearing on files where I know that user has been making manual changes in file maintenance tool called FUTIL VUE. It is a shareware DBU like tool. My assumption is the user is using somekind of key stroke that placing this character in the field but is not seen until the next edit. Perhaps there is something in his emulator keyboard map that creates this code. See example the field OUTPUTID

Field      Data Type       Key 1234567890....5....0....5....0....5....0....5....0 CLASSNUM      6    A       3   9664                                               CLASS STATE         2    A       1   28                                                 STATE LOB           3    A       2   WCV                                                LINE OF BUS OUTPUTID     10    A       4   DEC                                               Output Identifier CCC     2 453     0 EFFDATE       7    A       5 D 1120715                                            Effective date FORMATCD      2    A           DC                                                 Format Code NEGSIGN       1    A           Y                                                  Negative Sign UNITYCD       1    A           0                                                  Unity code

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3129 Posts

‏2012-12-21T17:50:48Z  
    I am not familiar with FUTIL VUE but x'20' is the ASCII/UTF8 blank. Is it possible that ASCII data is being inserted?
  • S_Rolando_CSC
    S_Rolando_CSC
    8 Posts

‏2012-12-21T17:56:04Z  
    I am not familiar with FUTIL VUE but x'20' is the ASCII/UTF8 blank. Is it possible that ASCII data is being inserted?
    I just figured it out. It is comming from using the backspace in the field when editing. My IBM personal communicator key board map is set up different than other users, so therefore, I never have the problem. When the backspace key is set to backspace it will add the DS (X'20') to the field when used, but when it is set to char backspace, no problem. The only downside to changing it to char backspace for the user is that he can't use backspace to delete characters. But too bad. I will remap his keyboard on Wednesday!

Thanks for the suggestions.