• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-20T17:29:39Z by jeff98air
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47293 Posts

Pinned topic Error creating component

‏2012-12-17T14:58:39Z |
Hi All,

I have a little problem when I try to create a component.
The error message is the headline "error creating component".
For example, the VOB is NVA_BSP,the Componet Name is NVA_BSP_HAL and the Root Directory is NVA_BSP_HAL
when I creat the NVA_BSP_HAL,the error message "error creating component" will appear.
but with the same step when I creat the NVA_BSP_Hal it will be successful.
so,I want to learn the reasons which caused the error and how can I get rid of the problem.
Thanks
Best wishes
ken
Updated on 2012-12-20T17:29:39Z at 2012-12-20T17:29:39Z by jeff98air
  • jeff98air
    jeff98air
    817 Posts

Re: Error creating component

‏2012-12-17T17:24:20Z  
    This is likely due to a namespace collision with another meta-data object in the same PVOB. Object names are case-sensitive, so check the PVOB for other objects (components, stream, projects, baselines, etc.) that may already use that name.

-Jeff Ng
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts

‏2012-12-19T12:45:02Z  
    • jeff98air
    • ‏2012-12-17T17:24:20Z
    This is likely due to a namespace collision with another meta-data object in the same PVOB. Object names are case-sensitive, so check the PVOB for other objects (components, stream, projects, baselines, etc.) that may already use that name.

-Jeff Ng
    Thanks for your answer,the componet named NVA_BSP_HAL has really existed but it's hidden.When I use "desc -l " on the PVOB ,CC tells me: Error: Unable to find component.In this case,how can I get rid of the problem.
    I am looking forword for your answers.
    Thanks and best wishes!
    ken
  • jeff98air
    jeff98air
    817 Posts

‏2012-12-19T17:37:01Z  
    Thanks for your answer,the componet named NVA_BSP_HAL has really existed but it's hidden.When I use "desc -l " on the PVOB ,CC tells me: Error: Unable to find component.In this case,how can I get rid of the problem.
    I am looking forword for your answers.
    Thanks and best wishes!
    ken
    Run the following lscomp command and see if component NVA_BSP_HAL is listed:

cleartool lscomp -s -obs -invob /your/pvob

If it is, try your describe -long on it again like this:

cleartool desc -l component:NVA_BSP_HAL@/your/pvob

-Jeff Ng
    Updated on 2014-03-26T13:44:13Z at 2014-03-26T13:44:13Z by iron-man
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts

‏2012-12-20T14:30:39Z  
    • jeff98air
    • ‏2012-12-19T17:37:01Z
    Run the following lscomp command and see if component NVA_BSP_HAL is listed:

<pre class="java dw" data-editor-lang="java" data-pbcklang="java" dir="ltr">cleartool lscomp -s -obs -invob /your/pvob </pre>

If it is, try your describe -long on it again like this:

<pre class="java dw" data-editor-lang="java" data-pbcklang="java" dir="ltr">cleartool desc -l component:NVA_BSP_HAL@/your/pvob </pre>

-Jeff Ng
    I did as you said and it listed all components except the component of NVA_BSP_HAL.This way does not work,so what can I do next?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Best Regards
    -ken
  • jeff98air
    jeff98air
    817 Posts

‏2012-12-20T17:29:39Z  
    I did as you said and it listed all components except the component of NVA_BSP_HAL.This way does not work,so what can I do next?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Best Regards
    -ken
    It must be a different object type then. It might be a stream, activity, baseline, branch, label or even maybe a folder. Cd to your PVOB and try your describe on each of those types. Ex:
    cleartool desc -l stream:NVA_BSP_HAL
    cleartool desc -l activity:NVA_BSP_HAL
    cleartool desc -l baseline:NVA_BSP_HAL
    cleartool desc -l brtype:NVA_BSP_HAL
    cleartool desc -l lbtype:NVA_BSP_HAL
    cleartool desc -l folder:NVA_BSP_HAL

Not sure how much effort you want to put into this though, since it's not really hurting anything except maybe your component naming convention.

-Jeff Ng
    Updated on 2014-03-26T13:44:00Z at 2014-03-26T13:44:00Z by iron-man