Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-20T15:06:04Z by TMasteen
janfrode
janfrode
17 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic FlashCopy states ? Snapshot before starting stopped Global Mirror?

‏2012-12-17T13:14:47Z |
Could someone please guide me a bit trough the FlashCopy function on the Storwize V7000?

Clicking on the "New snapshot" option in Copy Services gives me a new volume, which seems to be staying in state "Copying.." forever. Is it supposed to complete, or should it stay in copying as long as it's tracking the source volume changes ?

I have a few volumes replicated between locations using Global Mirror. Every now and then this mirroring process stops up, and the remote copy relationship ends up in state "Consistent Stopped". When I start it again, it warns that it will be non-consistent while it sync up. What would be a good routine for always have a consistent copy? Would this be a safe routine:

1 - Create snapshot of auxillary volume that is in state Stopped Consistent.
2 - Wait for snapshot copy to complete (will it ever?).
3 - Start remote copy process for the Stopped relationship.

I've noticed that when starting the remote copy process, the auxillary volumes goes offline. Will snapshotting av this volume still work ?
-jf
Updated on 2012-12-20T15:06:04Z at 2012-12-20T15:06:04Z by TMasteen
  • TMasteen
    TMasteen
    256 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: FlashCopy states ? Snapshot before starting stopped Global Mirror?

‏2012-12-17T15:26:15Z  in response to janfrode
    Snapshot has copy_rate=0. Maybe you're confused with a Clone.
    Before you create your own routines, take a look how the SVC\V7000 works with change volumes.
    This is fully explained in this new Redbook

But you can also investigate why the GM relationships are stopping. In the same Redbook there are hints and tips how to investigate and where to look.
    • janfrode
      janfrode
      17 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-20T10:28:35Z  in response to TMasteen
      Thanks a lot for the pointer for that redbook. It looks very helpful.

It looks to me like I will need to switch to GM with change volumes. One question tough..

Our master volumes are in a "performance pool" (SAS-disk + SSD auto tiering), and the auxiliary volumes on the other side is in a "capacity pool" (Nearline-SAS). Can we have the change volume on the master site in another pool than the master volumes, or do these need to run on same performance characteristics as the master volumes?
      • TMasteen
        TMasteen
        256 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-20T15:06:04Z  in response to janfrode
        The Change Volumes can be in another mdiskgrp. When using the GUI it will create a vdisk on the same mdiskgrp. To avoid this, create vdisks by CLI and then with the GUI you can choose the option: Add existing.