1 reply Latest Post - ‏2012-12-18T01:09:53Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1744 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic how to create a repository and make it availble to other lpars

‏2012-12-17T10:14:50Z |
Hi,

anyone can help me out to create a repository and make it available to other lpars.
Updated on 2012-12-18T01:09:53Z at 2012-12-18T01:09:53Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1744 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: how to create a repository and make it availble to other lpars

‏2012-12-18T01:09:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Firstly, you need to get hold of the VIOServer command reference manual. The current version is V3 and refers to VIOServer V 2.1.2. I couldn't find a reference to this document, the only clue I can give you is that V1 has the reference SA76-0101-04.

You will need a repository which you create with the mkrep command. The repository can be in an existing volume group but I prefer to create it in a storage pool. You create a storage pool using the mksp command but, like creating a volume group, it requires a physical disk volume.

I presume that you want to provide virtual optical media to an LPAR.

You then need to create the virtual optical device in the repository using the mkvopt command. You can pre-loaded the virtual device by specifying an existing physical device (CD/DVD) or you can create a blank virtual device and load it later using the loadopt command, pointing to some file that you have copied from elsewhere. For example, this might be an ISO image.

However, I have jumped ahead a little bit.

You need to create a file backed virtual device using the mkvdev -fbo command specifying a virtual adapter and if you don't specify a device name you will get a default name such as vtopt0. The loadopt command needs this device name as a parameter. Once the required disk image is loaded, the remote LPAR can access it by its corresponding virtual adapter.

Here are are some additional references

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/AIXDownUnder/entry/vio_server_virtual_media_library?lang=en

http://www.coolcommands.com/index.php?option=com_cc&task=display&id=1327