Topic
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2013-01-12T23:06:19Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5837 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic drill down grids and DB2 backend - possible?

‏2012-12-17T06:52:26Z |
I am new to IBM stuff - but have a complex scenario.
Was hoping for a quick leg up.

I am wondering if DB2 can support a multilevel grid drill down - nested grids.

i.e.
a grid that allows you to drill down to 3 levels or even 4 levels.

It sounds easy but actually it is complex.
As soon as you place these grids in multi-user environment you have 'add' 'delete' 'update' on all 3 levels.
You may get someone deleting a level and another updating a child record at the same time.
If you use transactions then you need to ensure the order of 'add' 'delete' 'update' match the circumstance for each level and each combination of events.
Also although it is possible in MSAccess where it remains connected all the time, if you are using disconnected network connection - which you ought to be doing if you have many users all at once - then there too you need to ensure that one user will not be affecting another user, or at least allow for efficient rollback and conflict handling.

Can anyone help?
I don't know about the grids available in the IDE and if they support 3 tiers of grids - drill down style.
(Is possible to have 3 grids on a form and each updating from a selection above - but that is a different scenario).
I don't know if DB2 express has a lack of features that would be needed in this circumstance.
When using SQL server back end - I don't think the 3 tiered grid was available in MSAccess.
So quite possibly there are issues that DB2 cannot address to achieve this outcome.

But i wanted to ask this because to me the app is all about the users experience.
If a user can use 3 tiers in real time - not just a report feature - then in my books you have a starting point.
Updated on 2013-01-12T23:06:19Z at 2013-01-12T23:06:19Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: drill down grids and DB2 backend - possible?

‏2013-01-12T23:06:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    It's not completely clear what you need but db2 can handle it
    You just need to read a bit on locks and isolation levels to get your head around it