Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-23T13:56:12Z by raanan
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2327 Posts

Pinned topic Module 8.2 – iOS Development Using Worklight API tutorial feedback

‏2012-12-14T15:44:21Z |
I find most of getting started tutorials very useful. Unfortunately, this one is of unusually low quality.

Here are the notes I left when working through it. On the overall, I would say that a tutorial should discuss, or at least mention, all the steps required to create a solution, which is not the case here. Also, it is never a good idea to use a custom class in a code before defining it, and it's an especially bad idea to do that in a tutorial.

1. Page 6. Right-clicking the native API folder doesn't offer a 'Build and Deploy' option. Instead, there is a Run As > Deploy Native API option.
2. "Make sure that your project is not using the Automated Reference Counting (ARC).", page 9. This is inappropriate. The difference between ARC and non-ARC code exists at the source level. After the source was compiled, there is no difference. As Worklight API comes as a compiled library, its users are free to use it in both ARC and non-ARC projects. And I'd say, it should be recommended to use ARC whenever possible, it's a great time and effort saver, even for those who can do manual memory management very well.
3. Page 11. The first code snippet: where exactly in the app should it go? Also, MyConnectListener is used here as if it's a class which was already defined, while it will be mentioned the first time in the next slide only.
4. Page 15. Same as above. Where this snippet should go in the app? MyInvokeListener is used in the code, but is mentioned the first time in the next slide only.
5. MyConnectListener and MyInvokeListener have an identical content. What's the purpose of having two different classes with an identical content?

I hope the Android tutorial will be better...
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

Re: Module 8.2 – iOS Development Using Worklight API tutorial feedback

‏2012-12-15T14:18:03Z  
    Forgot one more thing:

The stringByAppendingFormat method is used several times in the tutorial. The method is wrong in that context, you'll have a compiler warning each time you use it. The correct method is stringByAppendingString.

Hope this helps,

Alexander
  • raanan
    raanan
    50 Posts

Re: Module 8.2 – iOS Development Using Worklight API tutorial feedback

‏2012-12-23T13:56:12Z  
    Forgot one more thing:

The stringByAppendingFormat method is used several times in the tutorial. The method is wrong in that context, you'll have a compiler warning each time you use it. The correct method is stringByAppendingString.

Hope this helps,

Alexander
    Ouch.

Thank you for your comments, we will fix it.