Topic
16 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-03T16:25:26Z by kevmeist
JohnKnutson
JohnKnutson
126 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic CICS Explorer V5.1 is GA today with new download page

‏2012-12-14T13:28:38Z |
I am pleased to announce that the CICS Explorer V5.1 is GA today in conjunction with CICS TS V5.1, five updated CICS Tools, most with new plug-ins, and a new version of CICS TG. For more inforamtion about CICS V5.1, visit http://ibm.com/cics/

In addition to the many new base CICS Explorer functions and the updated CICS Tools plug-ins, we are also launching a new composite update site, fronted by a new, much simpler download page using the current download URL http://ibm.com/cics/explorer/download. The URL for the new composite update site is pre-loaded into CICS Explorer V5.1, so that all of the CICS Tools plug-ins can be installed directly from the running workbench, with no need to download the plug-in the first time. We have included a place-holder link to the PD Tools composite update site, though that has not been populated yet. Look out for a future announcement here about that.

The download page itself is now much easier to navigate, with the base CICS Explorer, SDK, and tools plug-ins all available for direct download from the same page. We have also removed the need to log in with an IBM id, making it even easier to access and use CICS Explorer.

New Function in CICS Explorer V5.1
Composite update site for plug ins
A new infrastructure to manage system connections
Ability to perform a system dump
Ability to create a new resource from an existing definition
Support for CICS VSE
Support of the z/OS® Management Facility (z/OSMF)
Ability to copy and paste resource data to a spreadsheet
Ability to create a z/OS UNIX file
Ability to export a file or folder to a z/OS UNIX file system
Ability to create a new data set
Ability to create an application definition
Ability to create a platform definition
Ability to create a policy definition
Ability to query the policy rules that have been deployed within a given scope
Ability to define dependencies in a CICS bundle project
Ability to define and edit resources in a CICS bundle project
Ability to add a CICS bundle to a platform
Ability to remove a CICS bundle from a platform
Ability to define static data when defining a event
New system event in the Event Binding Editor
New capture point in the Event Binding Editor
Ability to rebuild the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) for a CICS region
Connections use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
Updated on 2013-01-03T16:25:26Z at 2013-01-03T16:25:26Z by kevmeist
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CICS Explorer V5.1 is GA today with new download page

‏2012-12-14T13:41:27Z  in response to JohnKnutson
    Hey John,

So, with the "jump" in versions numbers:

1. Will the CICS Explorer release match the current CICS Release from now on?
    2. Does this have to be "loaded" anew or can the current release that I have (1.1.1.3) be "upgraded"? If 1.1.1.3 cannot be upgraded, what is the best way to keep all of the customizations from 1.1.1.3? Can I just point V5.1 my existing 1.1.1.3 workspace?
    3. Will Explorer V5.1 still work with CICS 4.1 and 4.2 (I would assume that it will)?

Regards,

Kevin
    • JohnKnutson
      JohnKnutson
      126 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-14T17:26:57Z  in response to kevmeist
      Hi Kevyn,

1. I can't say for definite that the numbers will always match
      2. We recommend downloading again from scratch (Scenario 1 on the download page) since we have also moved to Java 7, and that's part of the base CICS Explorer download. To upgarde to V5.1 from your current setup, just add the update site URL and check for updates. In your tightly controlled environment, you may prefer to download the images to your local network, using scenario 6. We suggest that you backup your workspace first, but then you should be able to use it and keep all of your settings. I didn't bother with that step and didn't have any problems. I just had to reset my perspectives.
      3. CICS Explorer V5.1 will continue to work with prior releases of CICS - V3.2, V3.2, V4.2, V4.2, and VSE. The CICS Tools plug-ins are also backward compatible. To use the CICS DA V5.1 plug-in, you would need to install the new CICS DA V5.1 server.
      • bluejoni2306
        bluejoni2306
        19 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-19T06:05:24Z  in response to JohnKnutson
        Hi John

Is it compatable with CICS TS 3.1?
        • SteveBolton
          SteveBolton
          18 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-19T08:55:33Z  in response to bluejoni2306
          Hi Joan

Yes we still support CICS TS 3.1

Steve
      • kevmeist
        kevmeist
        249 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-02T14:29:21Z  in response to JohnKnutson
        Hi John,

I assume that you meant CICS PS (not DA?) in your reply. Will the CICS PA V3.2 plugin work with Explorer V5.1? To get V5.1 of PA (assuming that is what you meant) takes some paperworkk and getting the systems programmers involved (this will take more time).

Regards,

Kevin
        • kevmeist
          kevmeist
          249 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-02T14:40:04Z  in response to kevmeist
          BTW, when I go to this URL and click "I agree" on the license stuff (who reads this stuff?), I get waiting for dhe.ibm.com etc, etc.

Eventually, I see

It falls foul of our proxy server.

Is there a direct HTTP download site for Explorer V5.1?

Regards,

Kevin
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            270 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-02T15:46:05Z  in response to kevmeist
            Hi Kevin (and for the benefit of other users),

The download URLs are provided to trigger FTP downloads which are apparently better for large file downloads. If you take the URL that's failing to download and change the ftp to an http, you should be able to access the same file via http.

Thanks,

Dave
            • kevmeist
              kevmeist
              249 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-02T21:33:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Yep, FTP is a big no-no around here. Thanks.

Kevin
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                270 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-03T12:42:36Z  in response to kevmeist
                Hello everybody,

I tested the composite update site
                http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/htp/cics/updates/portfolio/5.1/5.1.0/
                and can happily confirm that the PDTools can be installed now as well.
                The attached screenshot is the selection I successfully installed into eclipse 3.7.2 today (some deselected because for example the Debug Perspective is already included in eclipse).

Note: For the Servlet and SDK Support it's required to add Web development to a Classic Eclipse
                • kevmeist
                  kevmeist
                  249 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-03T15:16:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  After V5.1 installed.........

Explorer started, I see screen shot #1 in the attached file.

Having then selected a "copy" of my V1.1 workspace and restarting, then logging to our OPS CICSPlex, I saw a single column showing EXCP counts and nothing else.

Customizing the perspective showed screenshot #2 in the attached file.

Doing a RESET then showed all the columns. Why do I have to do a reset?

Kevin
                  • kevmeist
                    kevmeist
                    249 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-03T15:38:01Z  in response to kevmeist
                    In transaction view in the CICSPlex....the filters are case sensitive? Apparently so, as an UC "P*" works to filter transactions for what I am looking for but LC "p*" does not. Was that always so for Explorer?

Is there still not a way of filtering IBM transactions/programs OUT if being viewed?????

Kevin
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    270 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-03T15:38:49Z  in response to kevmeist
                    Hi Kevin,

Without the screenshots (they didn't attach correctly) or a bit more info about the view you're using it's difficult to be certain.

The likely answer is that we renamed the IDs of the columns in that view (we did quite a bit of API work under the covers for 5.1) and because you had customised the columns in your 1.1.1 workspace, the old IDs were hardcoded in the workspace.

When you started up with 5.1, there was only one column that hadn't had the ID customised, so that was the only one Explorer was able to locate.

We try to balance backward compatibility on workspaces with moving forward on new code. Most things will be fine, and we do make an effort to keep things as consistent as we can, but our suggestion is that it's best to use a new workspace. As you have discovered, a lot of issues will be solved with a 'reset perspective'.

I struggled to locate this question within the page, so please feel free to start a new thread with any more queries in!!!

Dave
                    • kevmeist
                      kevmeist
                      249 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-03T16:25:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                      OK, thanks. I will open a new thread with any further stuff.

K
        • SatishTanna
          SatishTanna
          31 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-02T14:59:53Z  in response to kevmeist
          Hi Kevin,

Happy New Year to you.

I would recommend running the CICS PA 5.1 plug-in with your CICS Explorer 5.1. The CICS PA 5.1 plug-in will continue to work fine with the data you have loaded using CICS PA 3.2. The CICS PA 5.1 plug-in has defect fixes and additional function over and above what we delivered in the CICS PA 3.2.1 plug-in in June 2012. The additional function which does not require you to have CICS TS 5.1 or CICS PA 5.1 on your host (z/OS) system is:

1) Import and Export for summary report layouts

2) Support for SSL connection

3) Enhanced filtering including direct comparison of columns

Other function you may be interested in future when you migrate to CICS TS 5.1 and CICS PA 5.1 is:

4) Support for new CICS TS 5.1 Platform as a Service (PaaS) CMF metrics
          - Application Context performance summary

5) Integration with Cloud perspective in CICS Explorer

regards,

Satish
          • kevmeist
            kevmeist
            249 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-02T21:33:00Z  in response to SatishTanna
            Hi Satish,

HNY to you too!

I have downloaded both CICS Explorer and PA V5.1 and, given time tommorow, will put both in. The sysprogs have been asked to order PA V5.1.

CICS V5.1 will not go in here for probably at least a year. We have V4.2 going to OPS next month.

Regards,

Kevin
  • JohnKnutson
    JohnKnutson
    126 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-18T12:03:07Z  in response to JohnKnutson
    Following up on my initial post in this thread, I'm very happy to say that the plug-in for the five IBM PD Tools are now also available from the composite update site - see the attached screenshot.

In addition to the new functions mentioned above, One new perspective, seven new Operation views and two new Definition views have been added in this version:

The CICS Cloud perspective
    The default CICS Cloud perspective contains a core set of views to help you get started with cloud administration.

Applications view
    The Applications (APPLCTN) view displays information about CICS applications. An application references a set of bundles that define where the application code is located, the prerequisite services that must be available, and the CICS resources that are required in each CICS region in which the application runs.

The Cloud Explorer view
    The Cloud Explorer view displays a tree hierarchy of installed platforms. Each of the platform items can be expanded to show the associated applications and region types, with a count of the regions assigned to that region type.

Data Tables view
    The Data Tables (CMDT) view displays information about files that have CICS or user-maintained data tables, or coupling facility data tables, associated with them. The data presented is from the perspective of the file associated with the data table.

EP Adapter Sets view
    The EP Adapter Sets (EPADSET) view displays information about the event processing adapter set for a specified event binding.

Physical Data Sets view
    The Physical Data Sets (DSNAME) view displays information about data sets associated with installed CICS files.

Platforms view
    The Platforms (PLATFORM) view displays information about the CICS platforms that are running in a CICSplex. A platform includes information about the location of the platform bundle, its definition, and the home directory for deploying applications.

z/OS Workload Management view
    The z/OS Workload Management (MVSWLM) view displays z/OS workload management (WLM) component information for CICS systems.

Application Definitions view
    The Application Definitions (APPLDEF) view contains information about applications. On installation of this resource an APPLCTN resource is created. An APPLCTN resource displays information about CICS applications. An application references a set of bundles that define where the application code is located, the prerequisite services that must be available, and the CICS resources that are required in each CICS region in which the application runs.

Platform Definitions view
    The Platform Definitions (PLATDEF) view contains information about platforms. During installation of this resource a PLATFORM resource is created. A PLATFORM resource displays information about a CICS platform.