Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-08T00:44:48Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
300 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Worklight Applicaton Center Database Support

‏2012-12-13T19:14:39Z |
I have few queries related to Database of Application Center
(Please note version i will be using is 5.0.5 & Database as Oracle)

1. Is Oracle supported for the Application Center Database? If Derby is the only supported DB, then can i use the database which is shipped with my licensed Worklight & WAS package for my production environment?
2. If Oracle is supported, is it mandatory to create a separate database or can i can configure somewhere in the settings to point it to the existing WRKLGHT database? (creating the schema and tables using the script for the App Center)

Please reply as soon as possible
  • slowhand
    slowhand
    35 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Worklight Applicaton Center Database Support

‏2012-12-13T20:57:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    > Is Oracle supported for the Application Center Database?

Yes, in Worklight 5.0.5, the Application Center database can be any of DB2, Oracle, MySQL, Derby. However, Derby is not recommended for production environments.

> is it mandatory to create a separate database

Yes, a separate database, named APPCNTR, is the only supported configuration.

> or can i can configure somewhere in the settings to point it to the existing WRKLGHT database? (creating the schema and tables using the script for the App Center)

It is possible that you can hack the configuration, by changing the way the JNDI datasources are declared in the application server's configuration. Make sure that you use different schemas, because WRKLGHT and APPCNTR have some tables with the same name; if you used the same schema, there would be a conflict. But what you get in this way is not a supported configuration.

--slowhand
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T16:46:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Bruno,
    many thanks for your prompt reply.
    The suggested workaround allowed us to move a bit further toward a solution, but unfortunately it did not work completely.

For the sake of simplicity I said that we wanted to install a v5.0.5 WL Server.
    As a matter of fact, we're not trying a fresh install but rather to update an existing v5.0.0.3 which was originally installed for Oracle.

In the first wizard panel we selected to install a Derby DB and this allowed us to navigate through all the remaining panels.
    Then the execution of the post-install actions failed with the following error:
    java configure-worklight-database=derby:
    java dropping C:\Worklight\WorklightServer\install\derby.jar from path as it doesn't exist
    java dropping C:\Worklight\WorklightServer\install\derby.jar from path as it doesn't exist
    java java Executing 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Installation Manager\eclipse\jre_6.0.0.sr9_20110208_03\jre\bin\java.exe' with arguments:
    java java '-Dij.driver=org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver'
    java java '-Dij.database=jdbc:derby:C:/ProgramData/IBM/Worklight/derby/WRKLGHT'
    java java '-Dij.user=WORKLIGHT'
    java java '-Dij.password='
    java java '-classpath'
    java java 'C:\Worklight\WorklightServer\uninstall\install-helper.jar'
    java java 'com.ibm.worklight.install.helper.TestDatabaseTableColumn'
    java java 'GADGET_USER'
    java java 'GADGET_ID'
    java java
    java java The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
    java java not part of the command.
    java java java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
    java java at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:139)
    java java at com.ibm.worklight.install.helper.TestDatabaseTableColumn.main(TestDatabaseTableColumn.java:46)
    java java Java Result: 3
    java antcall Exiting C:\Worklight\WorklightServer\post-install.xml.
    java antcall Exiting C:\Worklight\WorklightServer\post-install.xml.
    java
    java BUILD FAILED
    java C:\Worklight\WorklightServer\post-install.xml:236: The following error occurred while executing this line:
    java C:\Worklight\WorklightServer\post-install.xml:1721: The following error occurred while executing this line:
    java C:\Worklight\WorklightServer\post-install.xml:1768: Cannot use database driver class org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
    java at org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.addLocationToBuildException(ProjectHelper.java:508)

It looks like we miss the C:\Worklight\WorklightServer\install\derby.jar file.
    Could this be the cause of the error ?
    Do you have any other suggestion ?

I attach for your review the full installation log.
    Thanks again.
    Ciao, Stefano.
    • slowhand
      slowhand
      35 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-09T00:32:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      > we're ... trying ... to update an existing v5.0.0.3 which was originally installed for Oracle.
      > In the first wizard panel we selected to install a Derby DB and this allowed us to navigate through all the remaining panels.
      > Then the execution of the post-install actions failed with the following error:
      > http://attached install.log

The log file indicates that during the update from 5.0.0.3 -> 5.0.5, the uninstall step of 5.0.0.3 likely failed. You may find the reason in the uninstall.log file in the parent directory of the installation directory.

As a workaround, please
      • uninstall Worklight Server 5.0.0.3,
      • clean the Worklight Server installation directory manually if the last step failed,
      • then install Worklight Server 5.0.5 in one step (through the "Install" action in IM).

--slowhand
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      300 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-08T00:44:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Note: IBM forums are in the process of migrating to a new format. During migration the forums will be frozen and in read-only mode. If you wish to continue this thread discussion please post it on stackoverflow, where the Worklight team and others can respond.

See the Forum Migration announce post for more details. Thank you.

Barbara Hampson, Manager, IBM Worklight