1 reply Latest Post - ‏2012-12-13T16:46:46Z by DaveQ
EssoOil
EssoOil
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to upgrade array with new, larger drives

‏2012-12-13T15:09:44Z |
Hi,

I have an IBM x3400 model 7976 with 8k RAID controller. This has 2 x 73GB SAS 15k Hot-Swap drives in RAID 1 for the C drive. I want to increase this to 146GB using 2 x 146GB SAS 15k Hot-Swap drives.

The IBM RAID support page says if you want to upgrade the array with new, larger drives, you can replace the physical drives in the array as follows.

1.Replace the physical drive in the server or enclosure with a larger physical drive.
2.Wait for the rebuild to complete.
3.Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you have replaced all the smaller physical drives in the array.

See http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/director/v5r2/topic/serveraid_5.20/fqy0_cpdarray.html

and http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/director/v5r2/topic/serveraid_5.20/fqy0_aexarenc.html
My question

If I replace the 2 x 74GB drives with 2 x 146GB drives by following the instructions above, will the new drives automatically expand to use the full capacity of the new drives, or will I have to use the ServeRAID™ Manager to expand them manually?

I know many people who try to increase the capacity of their RAID fit larger drives and then wait for the RAID to rebuild as per the above instructions only to end up seeing a larger size disk (e.g. 146GB) with the original size volume (e.g. 74GB).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

David
Updated on 2012-12-13T16:46:46Z at 2012-12-13T16:46:46Z by DaveQ
  • DaveQ
    DaveQ
    132 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to upgrade array with new, larger drives

‏2012-12-13T16:46:46Z  in response to EssoOil
    Hi,

It is expected that the original logical disk and volume size remain the same. Upgrading the physical disks is just the first step, which will allow you to expand both the logical disk and eventually the volume/partition size within the OS. It is a layered approach, much as your current system is (physical - logical - OS).

High-level:
    1. Upgrade physical drives (the process you're aware of)
    2. Increase logical drive space (using ServeRAID Manager)
    3. Increase volume/partition size in the OS (using Windows disk management)

Hope this helps.