Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-17T14:48:03Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1084 Posts

Pinned topic Importing DMA Files Into DOORS 9.3?

‏2012-12-13T12:16:55Z |
We have a project that has been created in DOORS 8.2 (I believe). I have been sent a number of files in .dma format but cannot find any way of opening them with DOORS 9.3. Is this possible or is there any converter which will enable me to take them through a previous issue of DOORS?

I have asked the user to save them as DXL, DPA or RIF but he doesn't appear to be able to (and he's a 6 hr drive from me, so I can't readily peer over his shoulder!).

DOORS 9.3 Help (??!!) documentation is strangely silent on the subject of DMA files.

Thanks for any pointers / advice.
Updated on 2012-12-17T14:48:03Z at 2012-12-17T14:48:03Z by SystemAdmin
  • PDU
    PDU
    86 Posts

Re: Importing DMA Files Into DOORS 9.3?

‏2012-12-13T13:21:40Z  
    Hi,

when you create an module archive file (*.dma) in DOORS 8.x, you can restore it in DOORS 9.x, if you have wrights to do this (menu: File -> Restore -> Module).

I don't understand why you ask the user to save in DXL ?
    Other point, if you restore all formal modules from dma archives, you don't have restored project.
    To do this, you need project archive (dpa file)

Regards
    Pierre
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2012-12-13T13:30:16Z  
    Ian, It can't be done. DOORS 8.x archives can only be imported back into DOORS 8.x databases.
    However...
    Probably the simplest solution to your problem is as follows
    1. Install DOORS 8.x somewhere with a clean database
    2. Restore the module archives that you have been given
    3. Stop the DOORS 8 server
    4. Install DOORS 9 and point it to the database where your 8.x archives are now residing
    5. Archive the modules from the now DOORS 9 database
    6. Restore these new .dma files into your production DOORS 9 database.

Do note however, that you can't go back the other way.
    What you will have is a number of modules with no links. If your user has these connected with links, then he needs to give you a project archive (.dpa) including the link modules for you to see the traceability.

DXL is a scripting language, that won't help at all, DPA is a project archive as opposed to the module archive that you have and will give you exactly the same compatibility challenge. RIF is a separate challenge, you would need to check the documentation for versions of RIF, and I don't recall when it was introduced to DOORS, but I think it might not have been an option in DOORS 8.x.

Hazel
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2012-12-13T13:33:58Z  
    Ian, It can't be done. DOORS 8.x archives can only be imported back into DOORS 8.x databases.
    However...
    Probably the simplest solution to your problem is as follows
    1. Install DOORS 8.x somewhere with a clean database
    2. Restore the module archives that you have been given
    3. Stop the DOORS 8 server
    4. Install DOORS 9 and point it to the database where your 8.x archives are now residing
    5. Archive the modules from the now DOORS 9 database
    6. Restore these new .dma files into your production DOORS 9 database.

Do note however, that you can't go back the other way.
    What you will have is a number of modules with no links. If your user has these connected with links, then he needs to give you a project archive (.dpa) including the link modules for you to see the traceability.

DXL is a scripting language, that won't help at all, DPA is a project archive as opposed to the module archive that you have and will give you exactly the same compatibility challenge. RIF is a separate challenge, you would need to check the documentation for versions of RIF, and I don't recall when it was introduced to DOORS, but I think it might not have been an option in DOORS 8.x.

Hazel
    Ooops! I stand corrected. You can just restore the module archive in 9.x. But you really can't go back the other way.
  • llandale
    llandale
    647 Posts

‏2012-12-13T17:40:17Z  
    Try to "Restore - Module" one of these *.dma "Doors Module Archive" files.

-Louie

*.dpa "Doors Project Archive"
    *.dua "Doors User Archive"
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2012-12-17T09:59:50Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2012-12-13T17:40:17Z
    Try to "Restore - Module" one of these *.dma "Doors Module Archive" files.

-Louie

*.dpa "Doors Project Archive"
    *.dua "Doors User Archive"
    Thanks to all for your replies - will go and try some of the above.

Unfortunately due to network segregation issues, I'm working with 4 different systems and have to change location for some of them!

Will try to report back on progress.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2012-12-17T14:48:03Z  
    Many thanks, all. Feel a bit stupid now but the File - Restore - Module worked fine. I'd tried opening / importing the .dma file, which failed miserably!

Have a great Christmas in case I manage not to be here begging for help in the next few days!