• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-27T21:08:35Z by Runevitki
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts

Pinned topic Installing Systems Director Common agent 6.3 on AIX server

‏2012-12-12T15:13:13Z |
During installing agent I got a fail below
===================================================================================================
dsu82dev:/home/i0052699> ./dir6_3_commonagent_aix_c
dir6_3_commonagent_aix_c self-extracting installation program... Please wait...
=============================================================================
Start of product installation on dsu82dev
=============================================================================
________________________________________________________________________________
Attempting to remove IBM.Director.Agent.IBMDirA
There were errors removing IBM.Director.Agent.IBMDirA
Error happened when removing the 5.10.x or 5.20.x filesets, existing the installation
dsu82dev:/home/i0052699>
====================================================================================================
does any one have idea to help me?
Updated on 2012-12-27T21:08:35Z at 2012-12-27T21:08:35Z by Runevitki
  • RS_UK_HAL
    RS_UK_HAL
    190 Posts

Re: Installing Systems Director Common agent 6.3 on AIX server

‏2012-12-19T16:45:24Z  
    Is this an upgrade attempt, from v5.x release?

If so, check that the upgrade path is supported by the package of the newer agent you're trying to install (3.0?)

Also, suggest that you try the latest version of the Director Agent (6.3.2) but check whether you might need to uninstall any old versions you may have on that LPAR first.
  • Runevitki
    Runevitki
    23 Posts

‏2012-12-27T20:59:40Z  
    I would second the recommendation to get the latest client release, you seem to have 6.3 Release C, there is a 6.3.2 release available on Aix.

Unfortunately I can't really add much to your question on the Agent installation using the self-extracting installer. I had too many problems with it in the 6.0x days, so I've always went with using the installp method.

I have been using the 6.3.2 installp binaries to update existing 6.3.0 installs and on fresh Aix 7.1 install's (which I think have 6.2.x pre-installed). In general it works fine, with a few caveats.

1. Aix default sizes for /, /var and /tmp tend to be WAY too small if you are going to use SD, and the upgrade has some minimum requirements for free space on them. I use min sizes of 512MB, 1GB and 512MB respectively. But I've found over time the space usage on /var get's out of hand on our systems so many are around 2GB.

2. I've found that upgrades go much much smoother if you stop any previous agent prior to doing the upgrade

/opt/ibm/director/agent/runtime/agent/bin/endpoint.sh stop stopsrc -s platform_agent stopsrc -s cimsys stopsrc -s cas_agent

3. Starting with 6.3.x, if you verify your install of the lpps the cas.agent fileset will always fail...so I use the following command to install them...

/usr/lib/instl/sm_inst installp_cmd -a -d 
    '.' -f 
    '_update_all' 
    '-c' 
    '-N' 
    '-g' 
    '-X' 
    '-Y'

After the update, the agent is restarted automatically.. So far this has worked for me since the 6.2.1 agent, I've used the same script to do the updates since then, with a little change to what version I update.
  • Runevitki
    Runevitki
    23 Posts

‏2012-12-27T21:08:35Z  
    Forgot to mention go here Link: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/director/pubs/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.esa.director.help%2Fesa_kickoff.html
    to see what releases of Aix are supported, but if that's really a box running the 5.2 agent...You basically need an Aix 5.3 (with certain service packs) or newer release of Aix...