Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-12T14:22:47Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic logging request and response payloads in database ?? ITCAM for SOA ??

‏2012-12-11T19:26:26Z |
1)
Is it a good idea to log the request and response payloads in database using DataPower.... From waht I know there will be good amount of performance issues wrt DP --> Databases ... no other layer between DP - DB.

Can someone share any URL with this perspective...

2) Is ITCAM for SOA a good option to consider. Would this let us logging the huge payloads ( both request and responses ). I heard we can utilize this tool but never worked or haven't looked this tool doing this job ( though I've seen tivoli for monitoring and alerts )
3) There are other options too like wrpiing the messages into soap and send it to backend -- I'm aware of this option. and some others too ( in this same way little change in the design )

But #1 and #2 are the ones I havn't seen or done any work on them ... so need your inputs on them. Please let me know.

For # 1 --> I see this publication
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0812_callaway/0812_callaway.html

But again DP directly interacting with DB making me feel nervous of ...do not have much info if the performance related are tied with it ( definitely there are )... please share some URL's and share your thoughts ( on #1 and # 2 ).

Thanks!
Salla
Updated on 2012-12-12T14:22:47Z at 2012-12-12T14:22:47Z by SystemAdmin
  • swlinn
    swlinn
    1346 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: logging request and response payloads in database ?? ITCAM for SOA ??

‏2012-12-12T03:42:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Salla,

1) Logging to a DB from the appliance is probably not the best use case, especially when you're taking high transaction load. What I've seen more often is doing this type of audit logging using asynchronous MQ requests where a different process can take these messages and insert them into a database under less stressful conditions.

2)ITCAM for SOA doesn't log the content. It logs information about the messages so you can find out metrics such as average response times and message sizes of a particular service and the quantity of specific service requests over a given time interval.

3)this option is similar to the MQ option above, except the soap message is sent to a logging web service.

Regards,
    Steve
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      6772 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: logging request and response payloads in database ?? ITCAM for SOA ??

‏2012-12-12T14:22:47Z  in response to swlinn
      Hey Steve,

It's always good to hear from you Sir :).

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this!

Yuppie yup and quite true, I always heard that DP talking to DB esp for this would be a costlier operation. Just wanted to get the opinion from the DP Gurus like ya !!!

Happy holiday and Merry Christmas!!!

Thanks!
      Salla