Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-20T21:10:50Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1632 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Data Studio V32 has changed DBRM compared with V311?

‏2012-12-11T16:42:00Z |
Data Studio V32 has changed DBRM compared with V311?

I have been useing IBM Data Studio V311 for many months. I have configured my back end db2 for zos databases for use with the no-charge tuning features as provided in V311.

I have downloaded and begun to test IBM Data Studio V32.
But I get -805 when I attempt to use the visual explain. It looks like the contoken for AOC5OEPK has changed.

I have now compared the DBRM for the supplied AOC5OEPK in my install for V32 vs V311. I think it has changed.

It appears I must recreate the AOC5OEPK package based upon the new DBRM. Bu this is not friendly or compatable with the users of V311.

Am I misunderstanding something here? What should I do? put the new dbrm in a different collection?

The IBM data studio v32 information center (on the web) does not seem to address how to upgrade the backend db2 dbs that are already configured for v311.
Updated on 2012-12-20T21:10:50Z at 2012-12-20T21:10:50Z by SystemAdmin
  • RobbieGao
    RobbieGao
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Data Studio V32 has changed DBRM compared with V311?

‏2012-12-12T03:28:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Brian,

Yes. The DBRMs have been changed in V32 compared with V311. Please bind the Query Tuner packages of new version before using Visual Explain.

The easiest way is to configure for tuning from client side, you can select the database node in the Data Source Explorer, and select Analyze and Tune->Configure for Tuning->Advanced Configuration and Privilege Management in the context menu. Then click on the "Bind..." button in the dialog to bind the new Query Tuner packages.

You can also configure for tuning from server side using JCL and DBRMs, you can upload the DBRMs of new version in %\QueryTunerServerConfig\no_charge_features\ZOS\V9\ to the server side, and execute the AOCBINDA section in the AOCDDLx job to bind the new Query Tuner packages.

One thing to point out, the Query Tuner packages of new version are also bound to the same collection DB2OSC as previous version.

Thanks!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-12T14:36:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thank you for your response.

I have already prepared my back-end db2 databases for use with Data Studio V311. I have done the bind of the V311 packages with the jcl supplied in V311.
    I have rolled out Data Studio V311 to many end-users. It is installed everywhere.

But if I now updae the packages for V32 then all my existing V311 endusers will not be able to use these packages (ie. for Visual Explain).

I now need to co-ordinate the update of all my end-users to V32 with the time that I bind the new V32 packages! This will be very difficult.

Do you see any way to allow V32 and V311 end-users to work with the same backend db2 at the same time?

(I find it disapointing that IBM data studio is changning and reusing package names. The IBM Data Server client software avoids this problem by always changing the package names when they change/upgrade the packages associated with that product.)
    • Kendrick Ren
      Kendrick Ren
      34 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-12T18:57:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Brian,

Data Studio DBRMs support versioning. When you bind the packages of the new version with JCL or GUI, the packages would be bound with a new version. As long as you don't free or choose to from free the old version in the JCL or on the GUI, the old version of the product can still pick up the related version of the packages in runtime.

Thanks
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1632 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-12T21:47:06Z  in response to Kendrick Ren
        Thank you Kendrick. I appreciate your prompt respnose.
        As soon as possible (a day or two) I will bind the new DBRMs to make the new packages WITH THE NEW VERSIONS.
        What you say makes sense. It didn't occur to me that this application (ibm data studio) was using versioning... to be honest, I am not familiar with many applications using versioning... but of course, it makes sense.

I will report back here upon success of my bind and test of version3.2
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-20T21:10:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    For those who are interested.
    I have finally bound the new Ver3.2 dbrm to my db2.
    And they are working and available..
    So I can use IBM Data Studio Ver3.1.1 and Ver3.2 from the same machine to the same backend db2 subsystem.

The DBRMs are created with versions.
    As I suggested earlier... I wasn't expecting this. I don't think it is common. But it works.
    So I am happy.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.