Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-19T22:53:27Z by JonPeck
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
396 Posts

Pinned topic R Essentials for SPSS 20- SPSS not recognizing that R Essentials

‏2012-12-11T16:03:55Z |
I have downloaded all programs multiple times and in the correct sequence. I am an administrator of my computer so all programs are downloaded as administrator. But SPSS is not recognizing that R Essentials is installed even though it is. Any suggestions?
Updated on 2012-12-11T17:02:34Z at 2012-12-11T17:02:34Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    396 Posts

Re: R Essentials for SPSS 20- SPSS not recognizing that R Essentials

‏2012-12-11T17:02:34Z  
    You haven't provided enough information to tell what is happening.
    You say you downloaded the Essentials, but did you run the installer? And if so, did you use Run As Administrator if you are on Win7 or Vista? Did you install the correct version of R?

If you have done all these things, please contact Technical Support for assistance.
  • PSMinSPSS
    PSMinSPSS
    1 Post

‏2013-09-22T21:40:31Z  
    You haven't provided enough information to tell what is happening.
    You say you downloaded the Essentials, but did you run the installer? And if so, did you use Run As Administrator if you are on Win7 or Vista? Did you install the correct version of R?

If you have done all these things, please contact Technical Support for assistance.

HI.. I have the same problem.. Im using SPSS Version 20 and I would like to install SPSS R plug-in (R ESsentials) and custom dialog "PS MAtching". Ive installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the following, until I finally follow the instructions and posts here.. Fortunately, after nth time, i have already seen the PS Matching under the analyze menu of SPSS.. To try whether it is functioning I run data, however I am wondering  why the OK button within the PS Matching after choosing variables is not visible.. once I click the  ok button, nothing happens.. What is wrong with it? Did I miss something to be installed?

I need help.. please.. thank you.

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    90 Posts

‏2013-09-23T12:35:30Z  
    • PSMinSPSS
    • ‏2013-09-22T21:40:31Z

HI.. I have the same problem.. Im using SPSS Version 20 and I would like to install SPSS R plug-in (R ESsentials) and custom dialog "PS MAtching". Ive installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the following, until I finally follow the instructions and posts here.. Fortunately, after nth time, i have already seen the PS Matching under the analyze menu of SPSS.. To try whether it is functioning I run data, however I am wondering  why the OK button within the PS Matching after choosing variables is not visible.. once I click the  ok button, nothing happens.. What is wrong with it? Did I miss something to be installed?

I need help.. please.. thank you.

Do you mean OK is not enabled or that literally it is not there?  Although this dialog not from IBM, it appears that enabling OK requires entries in the ID, Binary, and Covariate fields.

• ATC_801301
    ATC_801301
    2 Posts

‏2013-10-19T17:24:10Z  

Hello,

I have experienced the same problem. I noticed that each time I did the uninstall/reinstall loop a folder appeared in "my programs" called "R 2.12.1".

I did a google search ("r 2.12.1"spss) and found that for Linux IBM recommends using R 2.12.1. So, even though the Windows documentation for R Essentials says to use 2.12, I decided to try using 2.12.1 instead. It worked.

Try this. It worked for me.

Does this mean it is time for someone to change the R Essentials pdf to reflect this, or to change the installation program?  It seems like an important bug.

PS - I also noted that in the install sequence it would say "needs a folder with SPSS statistics 20" in the upper paragraph when below it was looking for the folder for R. (It still says SPSS when the folder looks for SPSS too.)

• ATC_801301
    ATC_801301
    2 Posts

‏2013-10-19T17:44:35Z  

Hello,

I have experienced the same problem. I noticed that each time I did the uninstall/reinstall loop a folder appeared in "my programs" called "R 2.12.1".

I did a google search ("r 2.12.1"spss) and found that for Linux IBM recommends using R 2.12.1. So, even though the Windows documentation for R Essentials says to use 2.12, I decided to try using 2.12.1 instead. It worked.

Try this. It worked for me.

Does this mean it is time for someone to change the R Essentials pdf to reflect this, or to change the installation program?  It seems like an important bug.

PS - I also noted that in the install sequence it would say "needs a folder with SPSS statistics 20" in the upper paragraph when below it was looking for the folder for R. (It still says SPSS when the folder looks for SPSS too.)

Another issue I had was with the ".spd" download. I downloaded the newest version, but it was not accepted by SPSS 20 (it sent me to dialog builder). This error was with an extension ".spe" file. So, I searched and found a file named ".spd", as identified in Thoemmes Appendix A. It was in a folder on sourceforce called psmatching1. SPSS accepted that one. I still haven't gotten to the "ok" button.

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    90 Posts

‏2013-10-19T22:53:27Z  

Another issue I had was with the ".spd" download. I downloaded the newest version, but it was not accepted by SPSS 20 (it sent me to dialog builder). This error was with an extension ".spe" file. So, I searched and found a file named ".spd", as identified in Thoemmes Appendix A. It was in a folder on sourceforce called psmatching1. SPSS accepted that one. I still haven't gotten to the "ok" button.

On most platforms any third component of an R version is okay, but the one recommended is the one that QA tested.  I usually go with the highest third part available.

spd and spe files are different animals.  An spd file defines a dialog box.  It can be edited and installed using the custom dialog builder.

spe files are containers for extension bundles.  They usually contain an spd file, an xml file, and one or more Python or R files.  They are installed by using Utilities > Extension Bundles > Install Extension Bundle.

If you are concerned with the psmatching bundle, this is not from IBM, and you are best off contacting the authors via Sourceforge with questions specific to that.