Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-10T22:23:34Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1744 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic LPAR profile is loaded and I stack.

‏2012-12-10T18:18:58Z |
Hi guys.

Explаnation:

1) I install VIOS 2.2.0 on PS701 Blade.
2) I shrink RAM for VIOS LPAR to 512Mbyte.
3) And now i have big problem I cant load my VIOS any more.
4) I try boot from CD with VIOS for reinstall it but LPAR profile is loaded and i stack.

Welcome to the Virtual I/O Server.
boot image timestamp: 18:22:51 04/14/2011
The current time and date: 18:13:27 12/10/2012
processor count: 16; memory size: 512MB; kernel size: 27880376
boot device: /pci@800000020000209/usb@1/hub@1/hub@1/usb-scsi@1/disk@0,0:\ppc\chrp\bootfile.exe

How i could erase LPAR profile ? I have no HMC.

Please help.
Updated on 2012-12-10T22:23:34Z at 2012-12-10T22:23:34Z by SystemAdmin
  • seroyer
    seroyer
    352 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: LPAR profile is loaded and I stack.

‏2012-12-10T18:58:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    512MB is too small for any P7 hardware for VIOS to boot. 1024MB might also be too small depending on the hardware configuration. I would not run a VIOS on less than 1.5GB, and really probably closer to 2-3GB if you plan to use Mobiilty and/or AMS, or if you have many partitions. The safer approach is to let the VIOS boot with all of the memory, see how much it actually uses, and do not go below that amount. Of course, the amount that it uses will change once you start adding client partitions, but it should still be able to boot even if you do not have enough memory to service all of the client partitions.

You need to Reset server firmware settings to clear the partition configuration back to the default. This can be done from ASMI (the blade's service processor web interface). It is under System Service Aids->Factory Configuration. You may need to assign a routable IP address to the blade's service processor from the AMM in order to reach ASMI. ASMI uses https only.

There may also be a way to reset the settings from AMM directly, but I am not sure.

Steve
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1744 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T19:23:43Z  in response to seroyer
      Thanks for you answer.

Can i access to ASMI from AMM?
      Or ASMI will another physical connetion?
      • seroyer
        seroyer
        352 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T19:38:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I believe that ASMI is accessible only via the Ethernet switch in I/O module bay 1 of the chassis. Again, you will probably have to assign an IP address on the "Management Network" (Blade Tasks->Configuration->Management Network).

I see there is an option in AMM to do this task, though I cannot verify that it actually works (I know ASMI works because I have used it several times). In AMM, go to Blade Tasks->Power/Restart, select your blade, and choose "Restart Blade and clear NVRAM". If the VIOS still does not boot, you will have to use ASMI.

Note that if you successfully clear NVRAM and reboot, the subsequent boot will take longer than usual, and will actually result in multiple reboots. Don't panic: be patient and let it finish reconfiguring everything.

Steve
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1744 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T20:28:46Z  in response to seroyer
          Thanks Stive.

From official documentation.

Note: The ASMI implementation in the PS700, PS701, and PS702 blades does not
          provide for administrator login at the current time.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1744 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T22:23:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            I finally got to ASMI thought web.

Steve very pleasure to deal with you.