Topic
  • 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-10T14:26:34Z by Jeff_Cohen
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1305 Posts

Pinned topic Blocks within blocks

‏2012-12-10T11:04:55Z |
I hope a simple problem... When trying to place a block within a block, the inner block loses its form and has a dotted perimeter. How do I stop this from occurring?
Updated on 2012-12-10T14:26:34Z at 2012-12-10T14:26:34Z by Jeff_Cohen
  • Jeff_Cohen
    Jeff_Cohen
    71 Posts

Re: Blocks within blocks

‏2012-12-10T14:26:34Z  
    The dotted outline shows that the block is referenced from somewhere else. What you will need to do is define the block in the browser.

If Parent_Block is the upper level and Child_Block is the contained block, what you need to do is find Parent_Block in the browser. Right Click->Add New->Blocks->Block creates Child_Block "under" Parent_Block in the browser. When you drag Child_Block onto the BDD, it will show as you expect.

That being said, may I make a recomendation? Blocks aren't comprised of blocks (general units), they are comprised of parts. My suggestion is that you use a Block/Part relationship. So using the same elements above, Parent_Block is a block, Child_Block is a block. Parent_Block has a part called itsChild_Block1 that is of type Child_Block. This shows that Parent_Block has a specific instance of Child_Block.

If you need to show multiple layers (i.e., Parent_Block, Child_Block, GrandChild_Block, GreatGrandChild_Block ...) this approach requires you work bottom up if you want everything defined in the same model.