Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-10T05:42:14Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2327 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Difference between WL Developer Edition Eclipse vs WL Studio

‏2012-12-09T20:46:45Z |
I have used both, the WL Studio stand-alone IDE and the WL Developer Edition for Eclipse. I think there is also a WL Studio Enterprise edition for Eclipse, which I have not tried.

I have not been able to find any documentation or noticed anything different in these products. Does anyone have a resource they can point me to that would list pros and cons to using one over the other?

Right now I am under the impression that they completely interchangeable.

Thanks,
Ralph Pina
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Difference between WL Developer Edition Eclipse vs WL Studio

‏2012-12-10T04:06:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

What is the stand-alone Worklight IDE? We most certainly do not have our own IDE... :)
    Eclipse is the IDE, Worklight Studio is an Eclipse plug-in that adds our functionality ontop of it (rich page editor, environment creation, application templates, builder, APIs, etc etc etc)
    From: http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS212-157#h2-mktpostx

IBM Worklight, Enterprise edition
    IBM Worklight, Enterprise editionhas pricing metrics aligned with Business-to-Enterprise (B2E) purchasing patterns.

IBM Worklight, Consumer edition
    IBM Worklight, Consumer edition has pricing metrics aligned with Business-to-Consumer (B2C) purchasing patterns.

IBM Worklight, Developer edition
    IBM Worklight, Developer edition is licensed for development use only. It helps developers reduce testing effort, develop with confidence, and deliver innovative applications faster. This configuration is available at no charge, in order to lower the barrier for developers building applications for IBM Worklight. The no-cost Developer edition will be supported on a best-can-do basis by forum only. IBM support will be available for IBM Worklight Consumer edition or the IBM Worklight Enterprise edition purchases.
    Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    IBM Worklight Mobile Platform
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2327 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T04:34:21Z  in response to IdanAdar
      When I said your own IDE, I meant the skinned WL Studio that has the plugin pre-installed.

The versions you listed below are the server versions. But the WL Enterprise Studio someone would buy from IBM is the exact thing as the WL Plugin someone can download from here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/ws/worklight/index.html?

The only difference seems to be that with the WL Studio you can only deploy locally for testing. With the paid version, you use the same IDE, and drop your .war file and your .wlapp in the server. Is that not correct?
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T05:30:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    In all versions of IBM Worklight you can indeed create the .adapter, .wlapp and .war files (which are created automatically upon build/save operations).

When you buy a license, what you get in addition to the above is:
    • The missing files required to move to production (the ability to run Worklight ontop of an application server such as Tomcat, WAS, Liberty, ...)
    • The Authenticity implementation (or more precisely, the ability to use it "for real")
    • Other than that, the difference in audience and pricing

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    IBM Worklight Mobile Platform
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T05:42:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Cool, so basically you get the server to run on Liberty, Tomcat, etc. Everything else is the same.

I have just been confused by the marketing dept. It keeps talking about the developer edition plugin for Eclipse, and WL Studio for Enterprise, and WL Studio for Consumer. Then there is WL Enterprise and WL Consumer servers. Then there is the whole Mobile Foundation WL editions (which, I honestly still don't know what it is).

Thanks for clearing a lot of this stuff up.

Ralph Pina