Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-02T18:05:07Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1084 Posts

Pinned topic Update DOORS objects from new Word document

‏2012-12-08T19:33:22Z |
I originally imported a requirements document from Word to DOORS. An updated version of that document has been released and I want to update the requirements without losing the other data I've filled in for other columns.

Is there a way to do this process automatically so I don't have to go in and make the changes myself?

I'm thinking I can convert the documents to plain text then diff them and use that to somehow automatically update the DOORS objects.

Are there any other ideas on how to do this? Or what typically is done in this case?

Thanks!
John
Updated on 2013-01-02T18:05:07Z at 2013-01-02T18:05:07Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

Re: Update DOORS objects from new Word document

‏2012-12-08T21:32:11Z  
    John,
    First the soapbox. When you put a document into DOORS, the DOORS version should become the master. Ideally you do not leave any accessible Word versions around, and if you must have a 'document' then use pdf. If you really feel the need to update outside of DOORS, then the mechanism for spreadsheets works tolerably well for small changes. </soapbox>

There is a way, depending how much has changed.
    1. Import the new document into a new DOORS module
    2. Run the module compare wizard and choose to make links between the related objects
    3. Manually tidy the results of that comparison to ensure all links are in place
    4. Show the data from the new module in a layout dxl column in the old module (Analysis -> Wizard)
    5. Create a dxl attribute from the layout dxl
    6. Write a short script to update the Object Text and Object Heading from the dxl attribute.

Make sure that you create new objects at step 3 for any additional requirements.

This is not a great way to work, but is probably the best option given the situation you have. It works well for minor changes, and is very poor for structural changes.

Hazel
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2012-12-08T21:37:39Z  
    John,
    First the soapbox. When you put a document into DOORS, the DOORS version should become the master. Ideally you do not leave any accessible Word versions around, and if you must have a 'document' then use pdf. If you really feel the need to update outside of DOORS, then the mechanism for spreadsheets works tolerably well for small changes. </soapbox>

2. Run the module compare wizard and choose to make links between the related objects
    3. Manually tidy the results of that comparison to ensure all links are in place
    4. Show the data from the new module in a layout dxl column in the old module (Analysis -> Wizard)
    6. Write a short script to update the Object Text and Object Heading from the dxl attribute.

Make sure that you create new objects at step 3 for any additional requirements.

This is not a great way to work, but is probably the best option given the situation you have. It works well for minor changes, and is very poor for structural changes.

Hazel
    Thank you Hazel. The requirements document is coming from the government. We had previously been working from a draft version. I agree that DOORS should become the "master" and it will once we have the final version.

Thanks for the steps, I will give them a try.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2013-01-02T17:55:18Z  
    John,

Hazel
    Hazel,

Your steps did indeed solve my problem. Thank you!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2013-01-02T18:05:07Z  
    Hazel,

Your steps did indeed solve my problem. Thank you!
    Glad to have been of help. The DOORS version should be the master, but I have been in situations where that cannot be the case for similar reasons. Finding a workaround is good - if this is going to persist you might like to see how much you can automate with DXL, although I think a level of manual checking will always be needed here