Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-10T19:12:29Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47293 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Couldn't open a .updt file

‏2012-12-07T22:08:50Z |
I have update.<..>.updt file and I couldn't open it after I update my clearcase. Before this file was opened with ClearCase Snapshot View Tool but now it says application not found. Does anybody has any ideas how to open this file? I checked the TEMP on system variables and user variables which is %SystemRoot%\TEMP and %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp respectively.
Updated on 2012-12-10T19:12:29Z at 2012-12-10T19:12:29Z by SystemAdmin
  • jeff98air
    jeff98air
    813 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Couldn't open a .updt file

‏2012-12-07T22:32:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The .updt file is just a ASCII text file in the root of your snapshot view. Did you try to open it from within a text editor (e.g. Notepad) to see if it opens? Did you try opening it from a new Windows Explorer window?

The ".updt" extension is supposed to be associated with the "ClearCase Snapshot View Tool" application. Check your file extension associations to ensure it is correct.

In Windows Explorer:
    Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types

-Jeff Ng
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T16:32:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks Jeff.

I couldn't find the .updt extension under file types. I can open the file with text editors but not with Clearcase Snapshot View Tool.
    • jeff98air
      jeff98air
      813 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T16:55:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      If it was working before and now is not, the file type association must have been accidentally removed. You should be able to create a new one and associate it with file type "View Update Results" (use Advanced button when creating new extension).

Let me know if you need further instruction on creating a new file type extension.

-Jeff Ng
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T17:30:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks again,

I was able to find file type in xp but these options are not availbale in window 7. In windows 7, how can I find the file type and add a new file extension on it? I can open .updt file in xp on my another pc with "Clearcase Snaphot View Tool" but I coundn't find the location of it. Can you please help me how to find the location of this application as well as how to restore this application in windows 7?

Thank You.
    • jeff98air
      jeff98air
      813 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T18:03:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Sorry, I don't have a Windows 7 machine with ClearCase installed, but here's some info that might help:

On Windows 7, you can set file extension associations here:
      Control Panel -> Programs -> Default Programs -> Set Associations

The name of the program executable is "clearviewupdate.exe" and is located (at least on XP) at "{IBM-install-dir}\IBM\RationalSDLC\ClearCase\bin".

-Jeff Ng
      Updated on 2014-03-26T13:44:35Z at 2014-03-26T13:44:35Z by iron-man
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T19:12:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Great Help!! It does work now. Thanks for the help Jeff.