Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-12T16:32:28Z by FrancoisLesage
FrancoisLesage
FrancoisLesage
51 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RDz, DebugTool: RDz seems to choose the debug editor randomly ! ...

‏2012-12-07T20:11:50Z |
RDz 803, DebugTool V12:
When I am in the Debug perspective, some sources open editor A, some other editor B (see attached picture).

It happens that a calling source displays in editor A (not Lpex) and when entering into a subroutine the source of the subroutine displays into Lpex editor !
And sometimes, conversely, the calling source appears in the Lpex debug editor whereas the subroutine not !!!

I tried many options in RDz. Many many. In vain.

If somebody could put me on the right track, I would really appreciate

François.

Le5fr55
Updated on 2012-12-12T16:32:28Z at 2012-12-12T16:32:28Z by FrancoisLesage
  • timhahn
    timhahn
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RDz, DebugTool: RDz seems to choose the debug editor randomly ! ...

‏2012-12-10T15:43:12Z  in response to FrancoisLesage
    Hellow Francois,

From the attached picture, it looked like one of the files did not have the ".cob" extension associated with it (from the Eclipse shell's point of view) while the other file does have the ".cob" extension. I believe that the choice of editor is based on what file extension is recognized by the Eclipse environment when the file is being opened.
  • FrancoisLesage
    FrancoisLesage
    51 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T16:10:10Z  in response to FrancoisLesage
    Hi,

Thank you Timothy. I did notice the added suffix but didn't find the link with mapping extension.
    I tried mapping and other things, nothing changed.

But I finaly found the parm which triggers the change of the debug editor.
    Preferences> Run/Debug> Compiled Debug> Debug Editors> :
    I had to uncheck the "Use Debugger Editor if source file is larger than:" (10.000 was the default).

NB: "... source file ...", they should be more accurate. Are they talking about the sysdebug/langx file lines ? source lines copybook included ?
    The simple COBOL source has generally less lines than 10.000. It's missleading.

I leave the question "opened" because I would like to understand the purpose of this parm. I lost much time to discover it, I hope it has a good reason to be there. What's the point to change of debug-editor depending of the size of the source ?

François
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T20:35:13Z  in response to FrancoisLesage
    We shipped the new preference "Use Debugger Editor if source larger than:" enabled by mistake.
    We didn't catch it until it was too late to make the change in the shipped version of the product. So we changed the default in the fixpack and in all new releases of product.

For existing workspaces you may have to go to the preference and disable it since it will use the previous setting.

Judging by your comment it wasn't obvious what was happening we're sorry if you wasted time trying to figure it out.

Hopefully if I give you some background on what that preference does and why it was added it will help.

If enabled, the preference will use the "Debugger Editor" to view source or listings that have more lines than the setting, rather than the default editor (the one that gives you the nice language features like the outline view)

The "Debugger editor" is unique because it can load a much smaller portion of a large file, about 400 lines (+/- 200 around the current line). This enables it to load a portion of a very large file in a fraction of the time it would take to load the whole file required by the language sensitive default editors.

But this means that the "Debugger editor" can't do language sensitive highlighting or support the outline view because it only has a small portion of the file and in some cases only a portion of a statement.

Now back to why we added the preference. A customer reported that they were seeing extremely long load times when connecting remotely over a slow connection and the listing files were very large. Rather than forcing the Debugger Editor to be used all the time (See preference "Always use the Debugger Editor") we enabled a threshold. Files smaller than the line count would use the default editor while larger files would use the "Debugger Editor" that loads a portion of the file.

The mistake we made was to ship it enabled. It should have been disabled with the option to use it if a user was finding the load times too long.

btw I can appreciate the frustration of seeing the "Debugger Editor" appear in a debug session. I have come to expect my COBOL or PLI .. in fact the source of any language in colour and with the outline view.

Hope that helps!
    • FrancoisLesage
      FrancoisLesage
      51 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-12T16:32:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thank you Alan for those explanations. It's a pleasure to read you (no marketing-speak).

It's clear now.

Wish you a nice day,
      François