Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-10T20:24:57Z by mburati
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1493 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic CalendarPickerBuilder year selection problem in iPhone / iPad safari

‏2012-12-07T07:03:18Z |
I'm using WebSphere Portlet Factory 6.0.2 on WebSphere Portal Server 6.0.2. I tried to get help from IBM but because they no longer support this version so I can't raise this problem to their technical support to resolve. And there is not much information found in their knowledge base regarding this problem.

The problem is regarding the CalendarPickerBuilder. It works well in normal browser. But it behave weird in iphone or ipad safari.

See attachment iphoneProblem1.jpg - when i select a year from the dropdown, it clearly ticked at 2012, but the selected year shown is 2016. User need to try to re-select another few times and sometimes if they are lucky, they are able to select the year that they want

See another attachment iphoneProblem2.jpg - eventually, after few rounds of open up the year dropdown and re-select, I'll see that the sequence or rather the numbering of the year go crazy. it's no longer listed in sequence, you can see some of the years are skipped.

I wonder if there is any luck i can find here? or any advice from the expert?
Updated on 2012-12-10T20:24:57Z at 2012-12-10T20:24:57Z by mburati
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1493 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CalendarPickerBuilder year selection problem in iPhone or iPad safari

‏2012-12-07T07:09:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I am having problem to submit another attachment
    • mburati
      mburati
      425 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CalendarPickerBuilder year selection problem in iPhone or iPad safari

‏2012-12-07T15:25:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      WPF 6.0.2 is pretty old, but I'm not sure that particular Calendar Picker would work well in a newer release on a mobile device.
      I also seem to recall there being a number of important fixes in the fixpacks following 6.0.2.0, so if you're on 6.0.2 you may want to be sure you at least have the available fixpacks for that release and consider upgrading to a more recent release when possible.

While it's still there for backward compat, that older Calendar Picker isn't used much these days, as the Dojo RDD used by default in WEF 7.0 and more recent releases uses a Dojo picker for Date fields.

WEF added Mobile device support in version 7.0.1 with profile selection based on device type and alternate RDD (Rich Data Definition that helps set appropriate controls for various field types) for mobile devices. Due to issues with even the Dojo Data Picker not behaving well on certain mobile devices, I believe the date picker is disabled by default for mobile devices. If you were on a more recent release you could use the bundled device type profile selection handler to disable the picker on the devices that do not support it well. For an older release, you could do something similar yourself (write a profile selection handler that checks the request's user agent and disable builders that aren't appropriate for mobile, on mobile devices). There's a sample of how to provide your own mobile support for WPF 7.0 (prior to that support being included in 7.0.1) available at:
      http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/pfwiki.nsf/dx/Developing_Web_Applications_for_Smartphones_with_IBM_WebSphere_Portlet_Factory_7.0

To read more about the mobile support added in WEF 7.0.1 and later releases (8.0.0.1 is the current release), see the following wiki article and the articles it refers to:
      http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/pfwiki.nsf/dx/Smart_Phone_and_Mobile_Device_Development

I hope that info helps,
      ..Mike Burati
      http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/pfwiki.nsf/
      The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1493 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CalendarPickerBuilder year selection problem in iPhone / iPad safari

‏2012-12-08T03:03:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks mike. Do you know if the latest fix for the calendar is behaving correctly on mobile products? Just wondering if you have such setup to test easily or else i will have make a copy of my current setup to upgrade and test.

Are u suggesting that i have to replace the calendar builder? Does ibm has a calendar builder that we can use immediately?
    • mburati
      mburati
      425 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T20:24:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I'm sorry, I don't currently know of a camera builder picker option that supports the mobile device browsers.
      I wasn't suggesting that you could replace it necessarily (although you may want to replace it with the Dojo calendar picker at some point, which is more current and more consistent with current WEF controls), but that you may want to disable it for mobile devices, as WEF's mobile device support does.

I hope that info helps,
      ..Mike Burati
      The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
      • mburati
        mburati
        425 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T20:24:57Z  in response to mburati
        Sorry, typo, I meant to say "Calendar" picker in both places above.

..Mike Burati