Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-10T20:42:10Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1493 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Slowness (more than 1 minute to open page) after PortalServer update - WPF

‏2012-12-06T19:44:29Z |
Hi all,
I have production Websphere Portal running our application created on the "old" WPF 6.1.2
The current production is:
WebSphere Platform 6.0 http://ND 6.0.2.27 cf270815.03 http://WBI 6.0.1.6 o0717.03
Host Operating System is Linux, version 2.4.21-63.ELhugemem
It is running fine.. no issues.
We got the same WAR created on WPF 6.1.2 and tried it in a upgraded Webpshere Portal, running
Version 7.0.0.2

What happens is that pages are taking more than 1 minute to load, but sometimes it goes pretty fast. And I'm sure it is not related to some DB issue, it looks more a compability issue between WPF 6.1.2 and Portal 7.0

Did someone already get the same issue?
Thanks,
Updated on 2012-12-10T20:42:10Z at 2012-12-10T20:42:10Z by SystemAdmin
  • kevintap
    kevintap
    111 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Slowness (more than 1 minute to open page) after PortalServer update - WPF

‏2012-12-06T20:07:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I would recommend a couple of actions here. First, I would examine the loading performance of the page using tools like the Chrome debugger, Firebug, dynaTrace, etc. This will show you which requests are taking a long time and whether the time is being spent waiting for the request to be processed at the server or for the client to render.

As a second step, I'd recommend turning on model action tracing in your WPF WAR. The model action trace log will show you which actions that were executed in the WPF application and how long each action took. You can then use this to selectively investigate the poorly performing actions.

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1493 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-07T11:24:26Z  in response to kevintap
      Thanks Kevin.
      I will try your suggestions and reply here with the results.

best regards
  • DGawron
    DGawron
    76 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-07T14:14:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    WPF 6.1.2 does not support Portal 7 so it's not surprising that you've hit some issues. See the following link for the Portal versions supported by the WPF 6.1.2 release. You may be able to get the WAR running as needed, but you won't be able to count on getting support for this configuration if you run into other issues. I'd recommend upgrading to a more recent release of WEF, if possible. As I recall, WPF 6.1.2 goes end-of-life sometime in 2013.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpfhelp/v6r1m2/index.jsp?topic=/com.bowstreet.designer.doc/wpf612_release_notes.htm
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1493 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-10T20:42:10Z  in response to DGawron
      Thanks for the help.
      I set the model action tracing to DEBUG and found that the REGEN action is taking more than 90seconds first time it loads:
      -- TIME: 2012-12-10 13:28:49,481 --
      Category: bowstreet.system.modelActions.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Priority: INFO
      Thread: WebContainer : 1
      Msg:
      Session: MpFcqyD3wIaYtHNIwLi8FPf
      Model: ListPortlet
      User Name: xxxxxxx
      2 98567 Start Request: WebAppRunner.doRequest
      0 0 ListPortlet
      164 98240 Instantiate: ListPortlet
      97901 97901 .Regen: xxxxxService:Default,xxxxxxListPortletContained:Default,xxxxListPortletConfig:Default

My question is: why it does that only the first time after I restart the portal server? And why it repeats that if I stop working on the portlet for about 1 to 2 hours ?
      Do you know if there is some config properties I can change to avoid this?

Thank you,

(not sure if I was not clear, if I run the same page again, the 97seconds goes to 0 second...)