Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-07T18:57:35Z by pessetto
Professor
Professor
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Free hosting of WebSphere application for non-commercial application?

‏2012-12-06T17:04:01Z |
I would like to build and application for my training buddies to automatically copy certain data from one website to another (training logs and workouts transfer). This is not a commercial project (although, you never know…). I am looking for a free JEE platform (PaaS) for a very low volume application (probably no more than 1k requests per day).

Is there any IBM offering (or non-IBM?) where I can run my JEE application on JEE 6 App Server at no cost? I know Google App Engine allows me to do that for FREE, but they only offer Servlet/JSP/JPA and have 1GB daily limit for in/out traffic (which is way more than what I need), but I do want full JEE programming model and I want that for FREE (at least for the first year or two). Can someone help?
Updated on 2012-12-07T18:57:35Z at 2012-12-07T18:57:35Z by pessetto
  • morganri
    morganri
    109 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Free hosting of WebSphere application for non-commercial application?

‏2012-12-06T17:38:04Z  in response to Professor
    Hello Professor,

Please review the following link to Apply for a Cloud-based Trial Account, some restrictions apply.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/puresystems/try.html
    Sincerely,
    //Rich
    • Professor
      Professor
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T18:16:15Z  in response to morganri
      Thanks for the link. I am NOT interested in 90 days free trial. I want this application to run for 3 years. This will be very very small workload (no more than 1,000 per day and very small bandwidth needs).

Something similar to the free account on google app engine. They do not limit the life of my application and provide 1GB per day In/Out capacity and few thousands of requests per day. All for free. No time bomb. Can run for many years to come so long it does not exceed the capacity limit for the free account.
      • morganri
        morganri
        109 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-07T16:04:11Z  in response to Professor
        Hi Professor,

Currently, we do not provide an academic offering that mirrors that of Google's.

You may receive another follow-up.

//Rich
        • pessetto
          pessetto
          17 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-07T18:56:18Z  in response to morganri
          IBM has many resources for Faculty to leverage through the IBM Academic Initiative program found here:

http://www.ibm.com/academicinitiative

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/university/academic/pub/page/academic_initiative
      • pessetto
        pessetto
        17 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-07T18:57:35Z  in response to Professor
        Currently the only free access for technical professionals to SmartCloud Enterprise is through this 90 day trial program.

We are not aware of any 3 year free cloud access for you to leverage.