Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-09T04:40:06Z by XiLong
XiLong
XiLong
3 Posts

Pinned topic Use column descriptive info (comment or label) in SQL result view

‏2012-12-06T14:07:35Z |
Current SQL result page is using column name in the table header, is it possible to use column description (either column comment or column label) in the table header? The column name may be meaningless, only column description (column comment or label) could tell what's the data in this column.
Updated on 2012-12-09T04:40:06Z at 2012-12-09T04:40:06Z by XiLong
  • vpetrill
    vpetrill
    21 Posts

Re: Use column descriptive info (comment or label) in SQL result view

‏2012-12-06T16:29:58Z  
    I think this is a very good suggestion. I would like to ask if we could do this in a different way while still meet your needs. Have you looked at the feature launched by right clicking on a table in the Object List Editor and selecting Data->Browse (or Edit) Data. It is more graphical and it is possible to display more information like this when hovering over the column headers. There has been some discussion on adding more features into the data browser/editor and using it in more places, leaving the SQL results view to provide general results of operations rather than support general data querying.
  • XiLong
    XiLong
    3 Posts

Re: Use column descriptive info (comment or label) in SQL result view

‏2012-12-09T04:40:06Z  
    • vpetrill
    • ‏2012-12-06T16:29:58Z
    I think this is a very good suggestion. I would like to ask if we could do this in a different way while still meet your needs. Have you looked at the feature launched by right clicking on a table in the Object List Editor and selecting Data->Browse (or Edit) Data. It is more graphical and it is possible to display more information like this when hovering over the column headers. There has been some discussion on adding more features into the data browser/editor and using it in more places, leaving the SQL results view to provide general results of operations rather than support general data querying.
    Most DB2 i developers are used to "Select * from ..." then press F4 to promot for column names and where clause to construct a completed SELECT statement. So SQL result view will be mostly used.
    For the option to display data by Data -> Browse, if we could provide the function to input WHERE clause, they will very helpful. In real case, each table may have a huge amount of rows, the browse function need to improve the usibilty.