• 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-10T10:28:58Z by smart_dev
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1485 Posts

Pinned topic Standalone installation

‏2012-12-05T15:31:25Z |
Hello,

Is there a way to set a log rotation for SystemOut and SystemErr log files when WXS on a standalone installation ?

How can I purge those files without having to stop the catalog/container process (note: this is on Windows) ?

Thanks.
Updated on 2012-12-10T10:28:58Z at 2012-12-10T10:28:58Z by smart_dev
  • lisaw
    lisaw
    101 Posts

Re: Standalone installation

‏2012-12-06T16:44:56Z  
    If you have cygwin on your Windows machine, you can use some simple commands to copy the file, and then zero the original out so that only new logging from that moment will be in your SystemOut.log.

cp SystemOut.log SystemOut_bk.log <div class=
    "jive-quote">SystemOut.log</div>

This works when you have your JVMs running. Hope that gets you thinking.

• Lisa

Websphere eXtreme Scale Development
  • lisaw
    lisaw
    101 Posts

‏2012-12-06T16:49:08Z  
    • lisaw
    • ‏2012-12-06T16:44:56Z
    If you have cygwin on your Windows machine, you can use some simple commands to copy the file, and then zero the original out so that only new logging from that moment will be in your SystemOut.log.

<pre class="jive-pre"> cp SystemOut.log SystemOut_bk.log <div class= "jive-quote">SystemOut.log</div> </pre>

• Lisa

cp SystemOut.log SystemOut_bk.log
    SystemOut.log

Sorry, the forum didn't display the command correctly, use the greater than sign or end angel bracket, >.

• Lisa

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1485 Posts

‏2012-12-06T16:58:39Z  
    • lisaw

<pre class="jive-pre"> cp SystemOut.log SystemOut_bk.log <div class= "jive-quote">SystemOut.log</div> </pre>

• Lisa

Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately our operational team will not accept this solution on Windows production environments. Is there a built-in size limit for WXS on those files, or does it rely on the operating system capability/capacity ?
  • lisaw
    lisaw
    101 Posts

‏2012-12-06T18:17:06Z  
    Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately our operational team will not accept this solution on Windows production environments. Is there a built-in size limit for WXS on those files, or does it rely on the operating system capability/capacity ?
    Yes, the size limit for SystemOut, SystemErr and trace in standalone is roughly 20mb.

• Lisa

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1485 Posts

‏2012-12-07T07:11:28Z  
    • lisaw
    • ‏2012-12-06T18:17:06Z
    Yes, the size limit for SystemOut, SystemErr and trace in standalone is roughly 20mb.

• Lisa

Thank you Lisa. I have a last question on this topic: what happens after we reach 20mb?
  • smart_dev
    smart_dev
    56 Posts

‏2012-12-07T10:37:26Z  
    • lisaw

• Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I am having the same requirement in Linux. Do you or anybody have any pointers on log rotation for WXS in linux?

Thanks in advance.
  • lisaw
    lisaw
    101 Posts

‏2012-12-07T18:59:44Z  
    Thank you Lisa. I have a last question on this topic: what happens after we reach 20mb?
    The logs will rollover at 20mb and have a backup created in the same directory for SystemOut, SystemErr, and trace.

If you are using the product inside of WebSphere, you can change the maximum file size and how many files archived of logs using WebSphere's configuration. Currently there is no way to change the maximum size in eXtreme Scale standalone, so if you desire to have files rollover before they hit 20mb, you can use the commands as I mentioned above. I hope that answers your question. :)

• Lisa

• lisaw
    lisaw
    101 Posts

‏2012-12-07T19:07:48Z  
    • smart_dev
    • ‏2012-12-07T10:37:26Z
    Hi Lisa,

I am having the same requirement in Linux. Do you or anybody have any pointers on log rotation for WXS in linux?

Thanks in advance.
    The log rotation will work the same for Linux and Windows.

• Lisa

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1485 Posts

‏2012-12-07T21:32:07Z  
    • lisaw
    • ‏2012-12-07T18:59:44Z
    The logs will rollover at 20mb and have a backup created in the same directory for SystemOut, SystemErr, and trace.

If you are using the product inside of WebSphere, you can change the maximum file size and how many files archived of logs using WebSphere's configuration. Currently there is no way to change the maximum size in eXtreme Scale standalone, so if you desire to have files rollover before they hit 20mb, you can use the commands as I mentioned above. I hope that answers your question. :)

• Lisa

Thank you.
  • smart_dev
    smart_dev
    56 Posts

‏2012-12-10T10:28:58Z  
    • lisaw
    • ‏2012-12-07T19:07:48Z
    The log rotation will work the same for Linux and Windows.

• Lisa

Thanks Lisa.

I got that there is utility called logrotation in linux which I can use to rotate the logs and archieve it. But in that case I might need to restart the servers after the logs are rotated.

Do you think rotating log at runtime still achievable using log rotation? or any other option using logrotate?

Thanks again.