Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-11T20:08:21Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Legacy Document Attach on BPM 8.0.1

‏2012-12-05T12:52:43Z |
I've been using the legacy Document Attach in the BPM 8.0 without problem.
(http://bpmwiki.blueworkslive.com/display/samples/Legacy+Document+Attach+Widget+%28For+Next+generation+Coaches%29+-+Release+2)

but since I've updated to BPM 8.0.1 the toolkits given stop working,
is there any work around for file upload and excel fetching in BPM 8.0.1
because, the project really needs this feature and it will go live soon.

Thanks.
Updated on 2013-01-11T20:08:21Z at 2013-01-11T20:08:21Z by SystemAdmin
  • kolban
    kolban
    3314 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Legacy Document Attach on BPM 8.0.1

‏2012-12-05T17:08:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The chap that wrote these samples is no longer with IBM. It isn't clear who (if anyone) might be picking up any additional maintenance. I'd suggest grabbing the code now. Remember that these samples are "as-is" so if used, you are responsible for their maintenance and support. If from one release to the next, the as-is code stops working, the option is to "hope" that the originator of the code is willing to fix it or to realize that the code was "as-is" in the first place and try and figure out what may be wrong with it and patch it yourself.

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T03:07:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Is there any other solution for file upload?

it doesn't need to be legacy, what I need is a file upload to the server directory.

Thanks.
    • kolban
      kolban
      3314 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T04:40:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I think there are a number of possibilities. First off is the one you have been pursuing. Just because it doesn't work as-is in 8.0.1 (so I hear) doesn't mean that it can't be made to work. Perhaps the problem is quickly solvable. Again, the thinking behind these as-is samples is that the source code is supplied and you have the opportunity to own that function yourself.

A second thought it to use the "heritage coach" technology. This should support the original controls.

A third thought would be to use the IBM BPM CMIS support built into IBM BPM. This would allow you to leverage a Enterprise Content Management system such as the IBM FileNet product or the free Alfresco product. IBM BPM provides coach views that allow you to upload and view the content. These seem to be the "successors" to the original file upload mechanisms. By using this technology one could argue that document upload is now where it belongs ... in the domain of the class of solution known as ECM.

A fourth thought would be to use yet another "as-is" sample (see: http://bpmwiki.blueworkslive.com/display/samples/File+Uploader) but once again you are stepping into the "free source code provided and you get what you pay for".

Of these, and without knowing anything about your project needs, I would suggest looking closer at the CMIS support against a content management system. It is the most flexible and most likely to be with us for many, many years to come.

Neil
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        7615 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-11T20:08:21Z  in response to kolban
        Hi,

I am trying to work with the Legacy Document Attach widget for BPM 8.0.1, but I am experiencing some difficulties. I used the Legacy Document Attach widget for BPM 8.0 without any problems, but the ported version consistently returns the following error when I use it in my service "TypeError:document is null"

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue, or is anyone able to shed some light on what the problem may be and how to go about fixing it.

Thanks.