Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-19T11:15:58Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic hard disk removal/insertion not registering

‏2012-12-05T11:27:26Z |
I'm new to director and am using IBM Sys Director 6.3.1.1 and experimenting with basic reporting of hardware.

I've been advised by a consultant that I can use director to monitor/alert disk changes, by simply using the advanced options in Event Automation plans/actions. However I can not find anything that remotely looks correct.

I am not using an agent (using DCOM protocol) as I have been advised that I do not have to. When configuring it previously the software states and I quote....
"A disk event occurs when the availability of the bay for a system hard disk drive changes. Select Disks to include this event type." - How ever I can pull/push disks out/in of the mirrored and Raid 5 arrays, with out an event being created or even an email alert.

Does anyone know if this can be done? What I simply want is an alert to be created in the resource explorer and an email sent if a disk is removed, inserted and ofcourse if it goes wrong. (the latter may well already work as I have not had a scenario where a disk has actually gone faulty).
Updated on 2012-12-19T11:15:58Z at 2012-12-19T11:15:58Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: hard disk removal/insertion not registering

‏2012-12-05T14:59:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    If only managing the OS in-band as an Agentless device, you will NOT get HDD events. You can discover the management processor (IMM, IMM2, etc.) out-of-band and in many cases you CAN get HDD events.

----
    Craig Elliott
    IBM Advanced Technical Skills
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: hard disk removal/insertion not registering

‏2012-12-19T11:15:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks Craig. Running a system discovery on just the Management card did the trick.
    After discovering the OS which also identifies the 'Server' component, I re-discovered using the IP address of the IMM card which replaced the 'server' component with the IMM card's ip address. After that hardware reporting on the hard disk was instantaneous and concise.

Also tried this on an older xseries system with an RSAII card and it worked a treat.

Cheers again.

W