Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-17T21:21:51Z by george.baker
george.baker
george.baker
319 Posts

Pinned topic RCP Client for iPad

‏2012-12-04T23:54:54Z |
I've Googled and my results are inconclusive. Is an eclipse client available to host an RCP client on an iPad?

Would building a execution environment for MacOS work on an iPad. Anyone tried? I intend to try when I get a break from the work I'm involved in now.

A full development platform is not required, just enough to run the HATS application. Also, what eclipse client is the best one for a client to download and install on their Windows workstation if all they want is to run HATS applications and retrieve updates from an update site?
Updated on 2012-12-17T21:21:51Z at 2012-12-17T21:21:51Z by george.baker
  • tmparker
    tmparker
    519 Posts

Re: RCP Client for iPad

‏2012-12-05T16:07:14Z  
    The simple answer is no. Since iPads do not support Java so there is no way you could run an eclipse client on it. I don't know of any Apple devices which support Java.
  • george.baker
    george.baker
    319 Posts

‏2012-12-05T16:21:38Z  
    Apple does support Java, at least on Mac OS/X. I have sucessfully downloaded and used the Eclipse client on my MacBook Pro.

I've not completed my research on the iOS platform yet. I was hoping that IBM was a little ahead of me in that regard since they are developing the code for RCP.

I suspect that Eclipse has not seen the need yet to develop an Eclipse package for iPad specifically, but I will keep looking.
  • tmparker
    tmparker
    519 Posts

‏2012-12-05T16:25:53Z  
    Apple does support Java, at least on Mac OS/X. I have sucessfully downloaded and used the Eclipse client on my MacBook Pro.

I've not completed my research on the iOS platform yet. I was hoping that IBM was a little ahead of me in that regard since they are developing the code for RCP.

I suspect that Eclipse has not seen the need yet to develop an Eclipse package for iPad specifically, but I will keep looking.
    Sorry for the confusion, yes they have supported Java on desktop machines for a long time. I was referring to mobile devices when I said they never supported Java and there are no mobile device from Apple I know of that support Java. From everything I heard, Apple refuses to add Java support to their mobile devices. This is not an issue for eclipse because if there is no Java support on a platform then there is nothing eclipse could do about that.
  • george.baker
    george.baker
    319 Posts

‏2012-12-17T21:21:51Z  
    THANKS.