Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-28T07:26:07Z by cheungah
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
590 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Please share your experience using the WAS Liberty Profile

‏2012-12-04T20:26:12Z |
Please take a moment to provide your feedback using the WAS Liberty Profile. All ideas to help us improve our product are welcome!

Thank you.
Carrie Finneran
IBM
  • Jacek_Laskowski
    Jacek_Laskowski
    133 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Please share your experience using the WAS Liberty Profile

‏2012-12-05T13:32:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

Always glad when I can be of help so here's my take on the Liberty Profile 8.5.0.1.

Disclaimer: I work for IBM and am in World-wide WebSphere Competitive Migration Team. Liberty Profile is certainly in my area of business interest. On the other hand I'm in Apache TomEE's development team which should make the other alter ego stronger at times.

I've been working with WAS since 6.1 version and I must admit I got accustomed with WAS pros and cons. After almost 7 years working with WAS I think I seem to get used to the way it works and (perhaps that's why I) can list more pros than cons. With the attitude I've started my journey into Liberty Profile's land. My track record might be easily tracked with the emails I sent to the mailing list.

Here's my take as a 1-2-hour-per-day developer mostly for my own self-developments and articles I publish on http://jaceklaskowski.pl/w/index.php?title=Kategoria:WebSphere_Liberty_Profile.

tl;dr (management) summary: I'm very satisfied with Liberty Profile.

The most valuable part of Liberty Profile is that it's (almost) completely free - the developers tools for Eclipse work fine and Liberty Profile behaves well most of the time. When it doesn't, a short restart does the job very well and used to squash any troubles (provided they're not mine obviously).

I had once to run LP with --clean to clean the workarea.

The only issue I face with LP (that springs to my mind when I think about its obstacles) is that while developing applications a couple of hours in a row with many application redeployments throughout the course of the development Eclipse loses the connection with LP so it just hangs awaiting a response from LP and user actions are just queued in Eclipse. I think it occurs when an exception's thrown in LP and it confuses Eclipse Tools.

I can't track it to report an issue, but since it occurs very rarely and moreover I can kill the publishing action in Eclipse and restart LP, I can live with it for my developments. I wish the issue were fixed however so the only remaining issue would be the Java EE 6 Web Profile certification (and perhaps @Resource(blueprint:comp/env) lookups in managed classes).

Thanks for making WebSphere AS leaner and slimmer with Liberty Profile.

Jacek
    Japila :: verba docent, exempla trahunt
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      590 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T21:34:30Z  in response to Jacek_Laskowski
      Hi Jacek,

Thank you very much for your feedback. You mentioned that you had seen hangs during publishing. Do you remember what type of application, e.g. EAR, WAR, etc. caused the problem and what exceptions were thrown on the server? It will be helpful if we can have more information.

Thanks,

Jason
      • Jacek_Laskowski
        Jacek_Laskowski
        133 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-06T22:15:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi,

I don't remember the exact application types (most likely EBA, WAB, EAR, WAR) and the error messages thrown, but when they appear again I'll make my voice heard in the forum :)

I can vaguely remember some problems with missing imports for javax.naming package and such that once caused exceptions thrown on WLP, Eclipse could hang.

Jacek
        Japila :: verba docent, exempla trahunt
  • cheungah
    cheungah
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-28T07:26:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I want the liberty can be started as Windows Service officially...